LPS Salt vs Normal Salt

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Singhms, May 21, 2011.

  1. Arrow Boy

    Arrow Boy

    Joined:
    May 17, 2011
    Messages:
    1,220
    Likes Received:
    206
    Location:
    Gauteng
    Hello,

    Is there any difference between the salt purchased from the LPS or from a normal store\supermarket?

    Thanks,
     
  2. Guest




  3. Risen

    Risen

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2008
    Messages:
    344
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Plumstead, Cape Town
    I think the one at the supermarket has Iodine in. Check the label first if it has Iodine in, then it is not the correct salt. I have use the dishwasher salt in emmergencies. You do also get normal course salt at the suprmarkets. check labels.
     
    Last edited: May 22, 2011
  4. butcherman

    butcherman Administrator

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2009
    Messages:
    1,584
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Edenvale
    yes lfs salt is uniodated
     
  5. OP
    Arrow Boy

    Arrow Boy

    Joined:
    May 17, 2011
    Messages:
    1,220
    Likes Received:
    206
    Location:
    Gauteng
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  6. TomK

    TomK

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2011
    Messages:
    1,552
    Likes Received:
    11
    Location:
    Klerksdorp
    All common salt destined for human consumption, is iodized, by law.
     
  7. Jenn

    Jenn Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2011
    Messages:
    2,245
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    Johannesburg, Kensington
    Not true. Or the shops are breaking the law. I prefer to buy non-iodated salt and it is freely available.
     
  8. TomK

    TomK

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2011
    Messages:
    1,552
    Likes Received:
    11
    Location:
    Klerksdorp
    Jenn, for sure you get. But read the qualification. Common. Human consumption. In other words, the cheap, affordable to the masses, salt. I think I read it on a no name packet in PnP.
     
  9. Jenn

    Jenn Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2011
    Messages:
    2,245
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    Johannesburg, Kensington
    @Tom.K Well, I never! I wonder when that happened? However, you can still get non-iodated salt at the shops. It seems the iodated one is labeled "Table Salt" and the non-iodated is called "Sea salt". But, you also need to watch out for other additives. Is the plain old "rock salt" safe to use? What about Koshering salt?
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  10. TomK

    TomK

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2011
    Messages:
    1,552
    Likes Received:
    11
    Location:
    Klerksdorp
    That is what I am using, so I hope so!
     
  11. Anine

    Anine

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2011
    Messages:
    421
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Pretoria
    check your local co-op or pool shop. pool salt is non iodized and very cheap.

    @Tom.K my bag of cheapy PnP rock salt contains iodine, check the ingredients
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Salt Normal Salt Forum Date
Freshwater vs. Saltwater Aquariums in SA: General Fish Discussions Mar 31, 2025
Pool salt General Discussions Jan 23, 2024
RSS Feed Types Of Eels: 8 Of The Best Freshwater And Saltwater Eels RSS Feeds Feb 1, 2021
Salt water treatment. General Fish Discussions Feb 5, 2020
Converting from saltwater New members Nov 20, 2019
Basalt lava rock General Discussions Apr 10, 2019
Rescaping saltwater tank General Fish Discussions Aug 9, 2018

Share This Page