Large Tank Filtration

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Singhms, May 25, 2011.

  1. Arrow Boy

    Arrow Boy

    Joined:
    May 17, 2011
    Messages:
    1,220
    Likes Received:
    206
    Location:
    Gauteng
    Hello,

    I wanted to know does anyone have a 2m+ size tank or 1000 liter+ size tank.

    I would like to know what type of filtration your have on your tank?

    Canister\HOB\Sump? Size of filter? etc...

    Planning on a large tank and would like some good advice.

    Thanks,
     
    Last edited: May 25, 2011
  2. Guest




  3. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    On that size tank, a sump would be the only way to go
     
  4. OP
    Arrow Boy

    Arrow Boy

    Joined:
    May 17, 2011
    Messages:
    1,220
    Likes Received:
    206
    Location:
    Gauteng
    @Zoom, What size sump do you think would be needed?
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  5. Pleco102

    Pleco102

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2011
    Messages:
    137
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Pretoria,Olympus
    @jwalker i would use anythng frm a 4foot and bigr say up 2 1.5m to gt a great surface area for bio filtration.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  6. OP
    Arrow Boy

    Arrow Boy

    Joined:
    May 17, 2011
    Messages:
    1,220
    Likes Received:
    206
    Location:
    Gauteng
    @Pleco102, looking at your reply, i gather the more oxygen the bio filter gets the better. My Q is, can you have glass covers on your sump to prevent moisture from rising and affecting your main tank\stand?
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  7. Gregorian

    Gregorian

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2010
    Messages:
    174
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Kraaifontein, Western Cape
    Hi. I have a 2.4m tank and use 3 Tetratec EX1200 canister filters. One in each corner and one in the middle for over a year now and no problems with the pumps. Still doing a 20% water change a week. Will look at a sump maybe in the future if it will help me doing a water change less often. If anyone has a nice sump idea for the 2m tank i would love to know.

    Cheers
     
  8. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    I have ZERO experience with sumps... (I use canisters) but the bigger you can get / fit the better

    Absolutely. Oxygen is VITAL for bacteria. You could put a cover on the sump, but have the air pump pumping air into the sump. I've seem people running an air pump into all the different compartments of their sump.

    I agree with gregorian that canisters are great... (I have 2 also with no problems)... however they do have their down side... they are very limited in the amount of oxygen they take in, during a power failure, a canister filter's bacteria is one of the fastest filters to die off... and maintenance on them is a hassle sometimes.
     
  9. Altum

    Altum Sponsor

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2008
    Messages:
    1,102
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    CAPE TOWN 7441
    I have 2m upto 4m aquaria all under my care and guidance...maybe my advice works for you?

    1)
    above tank trickle filtration...either a single larger unit or 2(maybe 3) smaller units.
    Fed by internal powerheads as prefilters..
    OR
    2)
    An undertank sump...
    If you employ brilliant media choices, within budget of course, your filter can be as small as 60L...larger is used mainly due to possible OLDSCHOOL Marine systems which have influenced larger freshwater aquaria...and even in marine aquaria, the sump just houses the filtration(well some of it anyway)..and isn't ACTUALLY the filtration METHOD.

    I have set up, consulted and supervised at various stages on many tanks in the )1000L range.

    I am toying with either selling or setting up a spare tank+sump 1750L volume, just idle at my place...
    It ran flawlessly, with prefiltration in the overflow chamber, and biofiltration, and chemical media and heaters in a shallow 200L sump.
    Incidentally I grew plants in the sump, which assisted with some Nitrogen and Phosphorus export

    Erm, hope my ramble helps .
    If not , give me a shout...
     
  10. TomK

    TomK

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2011
    Messages:
    1,552
    Likes Received:
    11
    Location:
    Klerksdorp
    Hi @Altum
    I am very interested in hearing more about the trickle filter. Every now and then, the name pops up, but I have never seen one, nor heard how it actually work. What is it consisting of? What does the design look like? Is it aerobic or anaerobic and why? I suspect it is a huge flat bed and anaerobic, which will assist in removing NO3. That is the main reason why I am curious. Please tell all!
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  11. Henk Hugo

    Henk Hugo

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2008
    Messages:
    4,135
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    Cape Town
    i have a 2.5x90x80h tank with a 1.5x60x60 sump filled with bioballs and filter matting as well as 1x Eheim Pro 3 and Eheim Pro3E filters filled with some bio media and filter floss.
     
  12. oscar freak

    oscar freak

    Joined:
    May 5, 2010
    Messages:
    3,655
    Likes Received:
    56
    Location:
    Kensington Jhb
    was wonderin would two 2 foot sumps be any better on a tank that is about 2.5m or is one bigger one better?
     
  13. Gregorian

    Gregorian

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2010
    Messages:
    174
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Kraaifontein, Western Cape
    Morning.

    As I have a tank filled with water, I cant drill any holes. I made a 600mm sump for one of my 1.2m tanks. I went on the web and had a look at the DIY PVC siphon systems. Check the website (http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=244598&st=0h).

    Mine looks similar but does not feed from the top. It picks up the water from the bottom to get all the fish poop. I cant get mine to flow much. Say only have of the pipes flows with water and not very strong. How do you prime the pipe that it flows the full volume of the pipe. Hope you understand what I mean.

    Any ideas on any other siphon systes or how to prime the pipe?

    Thanks
     
  14. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    @Tom.K @Altum
    Dirk has thrown this name out there. I also do not know what it looks like, the design, or the difference between a trickle filter and a sump. When people ask for pictures of a trickle filter, or how it works, there seems to be this hush hush secrecy thing going on about it.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  15. Go-Big

    Go-Big

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2010
    Messages:
    737
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    George
    I also have a 2.5m 1200L tank and im running 2x Penplax cascade 1200's and one Resun UV canister 2800L/h with custom pre filter. Media- bio balls, ceramic rings sponges and filter floss. Taking the innitial cost of this filter i would rather go sump. Filter cost totalled almost 6 g's.
     
  16. TomK

    TomK

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2011
    Messages:
    1,552
    Likes Received:
    11
    Location:
    Klerksdorp
    @Zoom

    Hehe, you catch my drift!
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  17. Polylover

    Polylover

    Joined:
    May 26, 2011
    Messages:
    25
    Likes Received:
    0
    i have a 1.8x60x80cms and i am running a 5ft custom sump on it, in term of bactria i wud say sump works well, I just roughly read through this thread, and never see the question what fish u want to keep? and how many in this tank, as these two things are the most imp when deciding on a filter for a tank.
     
  18. Gregorian

    Gregorian

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2010
    Messages:
    174
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Kraaifontein, Western Cape
    Hi. I have a high fish load in my 2.4 as well. Around 800 liter to where I filled it up. I am running 3 cannister filters, but were toying with the idea of getting a sump

    If I can use a sump (which has better bacteria filtration than my filters) and I can get a way with doing a water change every 2 weeks, I will get a sump tomorrow.

    Just need to sort out a siphon system that will work as I am struggling to sort out one on my 1.2m. Any bright ideas out there?

    Thanks
     
  19. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    I believe if you search in the Professor's subforum in the threads there you will find a sump overflow system that works better than using the "drill through the base" method. I HATE the idea of drilling the base.. purely because the closer you drill to the edges, the weaker you make the structure. But it can be done.
     
  20. Gregorian

    Gregorian

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2010
    Messages:
    174
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Kraaifontein, Western Cape
    Hi Zoom.

    I used a PVC system similar to the one Proff had, but cant get the thing primed properly. I have check for air leaks as well, but not much luck. I just cant get the thing to flow more than half the pipes opening and it's suppose to flow way more than that according to some pictures I have found.
     
  21. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    Hi @Gregorian, as I've said before... I've had ZERO experience with sumps. So I shouldn't even be commenting on this thread... just sharing what I've seen / heard.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Large Tank Filtration Forum Date
Is anybody looking for a possible bargain on a large tank? General Equipment discussion Aug 18, 2021
Wanted: Large tank Wanted/Swop/Freebies Oct 26, 2020
Wanted: Complete fish tank setup 30L or larger, not larger than 60L Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jul 1, 2020
Swop: Large tank to trade or sell Wanted/Swop/Freebies Sep 26, 2019
Large tank learning curve General Discussions Aug 12, 2019
Is a large 'overstocked' Co2 community planted tank possible? General Discussions Jul 15, 2019
Wanted: Looking for a large tank 1.8m/6ft+ Wanted/Swop/Freebies Dec 5, 2018

Share This Page