Kribs :D

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by Jenn, May 8, 2011.

  1. Nirv

    Nirv Trachelyopterus

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2010
    Messages:
    466
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Cape Town southern suburbs
    Congrats Jenn. It might in fact be a good idea to move the female out soon if the male's aggression continues, when my kribs bred I had to do that. The babies really melt your heart don't they :).

    How many babies are still around right now?
     
  2. Guest




  3. OP
    Jenn

    Jenn Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2011
    Messages:
    2,245
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    Johannesburg, Kensington
    @Nirv Thanks for the input. They seem to have calmed down. I'm reluctant to take her out because they both seem to play a part in baby-minding, particularly putting the featherfins in their place - whether they need it or not.

    Today I counted 16 babies. There may be more - they just won't line up to be counted :D It's fascinating watching them. Even though the babies are no bigger than a minute they look and behave just like kribs. They also chase each other.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  4. Nirv

    Nirv Trachelyopterus

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2010
    Messages:
    466
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Cape Town southern suburbs
    Makes me want to breed mine again - though the two I have are the original mother and one of her sons(!) so that's out of the question. I hope you can find homes for them once they're big enough. They're the cutest things.

    I'll be dedicating what little spare tank space I have to lemon tetras and hopefully their babies soon though.
     
  5. OP
    Jenn

    Jenn Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2011
    Messages:
    2,245
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    Johannesburg, Kensington
    Kribbie Update - 6 week old babies

    These pics were taken on the 25th June when the babies were 6 weeks old.

    DSC_4099.jpg DSC_4102.jpg DSC_4104.jpg DSC_4097.jpg DSC_4100.jpg

    I have since moved them to my very versatile QT, Hospital, and now, Grow out tank. It seems like mom and dad are trying to make baby brothers and sisters. YIKES!

    When we moved them I got the chance to count them properly. 25! have survived, which is pretty much all of them. Kribs make excellent! parents.

    DSC_4099.jpg

    DSC_4102.jpg

    DSC_4104.jpg

    DSC_4097.jpg

    DSC_4100.jpg
     
  6. OP
    Jenn

    Jenn Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2011
    Messages:
    2,245
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    Johannesburg, Kensington
    So this morning when I was doing the tank check and feed before rushing off to work - more babies! About twice as much this time. My husband wants to know if you can give fish contraceptives - LOL.

    Will post pics later :)
     
  7. OP
    Jenn

    Jenn Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2011
    Messages:
    2,245
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    Johannesburg, Kensington
    More fishies ;)

    DSC_4127.jpg

    DSC_4127.jpg
     
  8. abdd003

    abdd003

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2010
    Messages:
    27
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Carletonville
    Hi Jenn,
    I previously responded to your thread on female aggression towards the male where I suggested plenty of hiding places.
    Well, recently mine also went through the phase and the male had enough room to swim away (at speed) and hide, fortunately maybe, no damage. After a few days I noticed (tongue in the cheek) like woman, she could not get enough of him and where he went, she followed. What I have also noticed before, but have not seen this recorded anywhere .... the two swim up and down the back of the tank, which is mirrored, as if fighting their own reflection, which seemed to reduce the aggression towards each other. If your tank does not have a mirror, try placing one against the front of the tank. It is now clear the feamle is preparing to lay eggs.
     
  9. OP
    Jenn

    Jenn Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2011
    Messages:
    2,245
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    Johannesburg, Kensington
    @abdd003 Thanks - I'll try that if it happens again. For now, they're great! They've just had another batch and are taking turns beating up everybody else. Everybody else seems to be holding their own.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  10. Vez

    Vez

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2011
    Messages:
    2,076
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Krugersdorp Jhb
    Wow Jenn! Nice fishies!!!!!

    Are you gonna sell some?
     
  11. Lizid

    Lizid

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2010
    Messages:
    1,652
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Johannesburg
    Awesome @Jenn I am still trying to get me male to look at my female let alone anything else!
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  12. OP
    Jenn

    Jenn Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2011
    Messages:
    2,245
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    Johannesburg, Kensington
    @Vez - I am. :D The first batch are just about ready and are colouring up nicely. I have spoken to a couple of pet shops that are willing to buy from me, but if forum members want, of course they have first option.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
    hein24 likes this.
  13. Vez

    Vez

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2011
    Messages:
    2,076
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Krugersdorp Jhb
    thats good to know, plz pm me the details plz!
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Kribs Forum Date
Our Kribs won't breed? General Discussions Nov 24, 2023
Kribs red sore Diseases Apr 3, 2020
Wanted: Kribs wanted Wanted/Swop/Freebies Dec 26, 2019
Do Kribs eat snails? Beginner Discussions May 23, 2019
Wanted: Kribs kr apistos Wanted/Swop/Freebies Aug 22, 2018
Kribs prices General Fish Discussions Jun 28, 2017
Kribs pair in community tank Community Tanks Jul 26, 2016

Share This Page