Kribs :D

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by Jenn, May 8, 2011.

  1. Jenn

    Jenn Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2011
    Messages:
    2,245
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    Johannesburg, Kensington
    Hope I'm not being optomistic putting this in the breeding thread - my kribs are little teasers. They've been in and out of their pots for about 2 weeks, shakin' their little bods at each other with nothing happening. But I think mom is finally staying close to the chosen pot.

    The happy couple
    Kribs_003.jpg

    DSC_3525.jpg

    The leaf is right in front of the entrance - she comes out for snacks :)
    DSC_3512.jpg

    Isn't she pretty?
    DSC_3508.jpg

    DSC_3506.jpg

    I can't see inside the pot so I have no idea what's happening in there. I'm sure they do?

    Kribs_003.jpg

    DSC_3525.jpg

    DSC_3512.jpg

    DSC_3508.jpg

    DSC_3506.jpg
     
  2. Guest




  3. Nawaaz

    Nawaaz Tanganykman

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2009
    Messages:
    579
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Nice looking Kribs...
     
  4. OP
    Jenn

    Jenn Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2011
    Messages:
    2,245
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    Johannesburg, Kensington
    Thanks - They're from Nigeria, apparently. Had them for about 3 weeks.
     
  5. Nawaaz

    Nawaaz Tanganykman

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2009
    Messages:
    579
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Cool...I bred Kribs last year was fun. Keep us posted on whats happening
     
  6. Gilbertr14

    Gilbertr14 Phenacogrammus

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2009
    Messages:
    746
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Kraaifontein, Cape Town
    Kribs are quite easy to breed and fun.
    Just keep an eye on the them, they get super aggresive and protective.

    I had a male kill no lest than 11 of my females at one stage..

    But I am sure he was the exception
     
  7. OP
    Jenn

    Jenn Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2011
    Messages:
    2,245
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    Johannesburg, Kensington

    Did he kill his mate or only other females? I would have thought he'd kill the other males.
     
  8. Gilbertr14

    Gilbertr14 Phenacogrammus

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2009
    Messages:
    746
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Kraaifontein, Cape Town
    Mostly Females and the odd male, never his mate
    Called him Idi Amin
     
    Last edited: May 9, 2011
  9. Go-Big

    Go-Big

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2010
    Messages:
    737
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    George

    He will try to kill any other fish, male or female. But as Gilbertr14 said, never his mate.
     
  10. OP
    Jenn

    Jenn Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2011
    Messages:
    2,245
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    Johannesburg, Kensington
    That's a relief.

    That solves a mystery. I actually had 2 pairs - note the "had". We went away for a few days. While we were away the dog-cat-fish-house-sitter (mom-in-law) phoned and said 1 of the fishies was dead. When I got home I saw it was the female. I've moved the other male into what has now become the South-American-with-African-in-Exile-Biotope tank.

    Thanks for the info :)
     
    Last edited: May 10, 2011
  11. OP
    Jenn

    Jenn Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2011
    Messages:
    2,245
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    Johannesburg, Kensington
    At Last!

    So my Kribs were being complete bullies! and chasing everybody to the end of the tank - And then I saw why!

    I am so excited! The little beauties have babies.

    Dad and kids
    DadAndKids.jpg

    Mom and kids
    MomAndKids.jpg

    It's very nerve-wracking! They go all over the tank. I'm sure they're going to get lost. Should I leave a night-light on for them?

    DadAndKids.jpg

    MomAndKids.jpg
     
  12. A Bauer

    A Bauer Guest

    That is awesome. Nice pic's, congrats.
     
  13. OP
    Jenn

    Jenn Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2011
    Messages:
    2,245
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    Johannesburg, Kensington
    @A Bauer - Thanks. I'm amazed at what good parents they are. :D
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  14. The Hitman

    The Hitman in more ways than one!

    Joined:
    May 20, 2011
    Messages:
    54
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Rondebosch East
    Yeah they are awesome fish. Well done
     
  15. Luis

    Luis

    Joined:
    May 13, 2011
    Messages:
    387
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Windhoek, Namibia
    Niiiiice !! Congrats Jenn !!
     
  16. OP
    Jenn

    Jenn Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2011
    Messages:
    2,245
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    Johannesburg, Kensington
    1 Week later

    Wow! The babies have grown. They are already krib-shaped. I am so impressed with mom & dad's parenting :bigsmile: Last week I counted about 25 babies, this week I got to 23 - it's really difficult to be sure I counted all, so it seems like most, if not all, have survived the week. They are in the tank with featherfins and mom & dad take the fry on tours around the tank. God help any fish that comes close! Don't worry, I've been keeping an eye on things. I'll take steps if it gets too rough.

    Kribs_1WeekOld_01.JPG

    (Excuse the water marks - I don't want to frighten the babies to death :D)

    Kribs_1WeekOld_01.JPG
     
  17. tracyp

    tracyp Lotus

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2010
    Messages:
    1,619
    Likes Received:
    31
    Location:
    Stanford, Western Cape
    Nice one gran-Jen! Keep the updates coming...
     
  18. OP
    Jenn

    Jenn Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2011
    Messages:
    2,245
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    Johannesburg, Kensington
    :D I feel so proud, you'd swear I actually had something to do with it.
     
  19. tracyp

    tracyp Lotus

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2010
    Messages:
    1,619
    Likes Received:
    31
    Location:
    Stanford, Western Cape
    Wellll.... there's the water changes, the filter cleaning, the brine shrimp hatching... not to mention the electricity bill! :p:p:p
     
  20. Toby

    Toby

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2011
    Messages:
    159
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Randburg , Johannesburg
    Great looking fish :)
     
  21. OP
    Jenn

    Jenn Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2011
    Messages:
    2,245
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    Johannesburg, Kensington
    2 weeks later & babies are growing nicely. They're 3 weeks old now.
    MomWatching.jpg MomDadWatching.jpg DoesHeLookLikeMe.jpg Camo.jpg Baby1.jpg

    There's a bit of tension every now and then between mom and dad with him chasing her quite nastily :( Is this normal?

    Dad seems to be the better parent - more attentive.

    MomWatching.jpg

    MomDadWatching.jpg

    DoesHeLookLikeMe.jpg

    Camo.jpg

    Baby1.jpg
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Kribs Forum Date
Our Kribs won't breed? General Discussions Nov 24, 2023
Kribs red sore Diseases Apr 3, 2020
Wanted: Kribs wanted Wanted/Swop/Freebies Dec 26, 2019
Do Kribs eat snails? Beginner Discussions May 23, 2019
Wanted: Kribs kr apistos Wanted/Swop/Freebies Aug 22, 2018
Kribs prices General Fish Discussions Jun 28, 2017
Kribs pair in community tank Community Tanks Jul 26, 2016

Share This Page