Kribensis pair

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by Ladysphinx, May 13, 2017.

  1. Ladysphinx

    Ladysphinx

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2016
    Messages:
    889
    Likes Received:
    267
    Location:
    Benoni AH
    Ok so I have always wanted pair of Kribensis, my dad had a pair and though I was a kid I loved watching them for hours. I can't remember much about the behaviour patterns that fascinated me.

    After looking for a pair for some for awhile without success I got a pair of Kribs two weeks ago. They were pretty drab when I bought them at our petshop but they seemed very alert so I got them anyway. The male was chasing the female away everytime he saw her, After putting in some half pots and driftwood the female quickly coloured up within minutes. The male still doesn't have a red belly but his brown markings got more intense the last few days. They are nice and active and also feeding well.

    I was a bit worried about the male not accepting the female cause he was a bit aggressive towards her. At first he would chase her off when she tried to shimmy infront of him, but today I saw him shimming too when she got close they where kind of shimming in a circle infront of one of the pots.

    How long will it take before I can look for some babies ?
     
  2. Guest




  3. Hendre

    Hendre Polypterus freak

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2016
    Messages:
    3,669
    Likes Received:
    1,729
    Location:
    Cape town
    As soon as they are ready they'll spawn. Lots of frozen and live foods will help

    Hope you have good luck, my male paradise killed his female within 3 days. Dit it when I was at school as well :(

    I really want kribs but in my tank they would end up being colourful feeders lol
     
  4. OP
    Ladysphinx

    Ladysphinx

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2016
    Messages:
    889
    Likes Received:
    267
    Location:
    Benoni AH
    Just another reason to get another tank lol.
    I was a bit hesitant to get them cause they were darn expensive so hubby told me he would pay for them. Paying alot of money for a fish always makes me nervous.

    Now I just need to get myself a pair of Bristle nose plecos.....oh and a few black widow tetras and Leopard danios
     
  5. Hendre

    Hendre Polypterus freak

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2016
    Messages:
    3,669
    Likes Received:
    1,729
    Location:
    Cape town
    I'm actually fixing a tank to breed bristlenose, I found a source of free ones. The owner of the local OK breeds kribs too

    If you want it price isn't much of an issue. My most expensive fish is only a R135 polypterus though
     
  6. OP
    Ladysphinx

    Ladysphinx

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2016
    Messages:
    889
    Likes Received:
    267
    Location:
    Benoni AH
    That's true, if you really want something you are willing to pay the price lol.

    Yeah is a pity you are in CT otherwise I would have jumped on the opportunity to get some Bristle noses from you but distance is a problem. Maybe when I have the money and you have the bn plecos we can talk again and do express delivery or something. I have never seen any bn plecos in any petshops I frequent
     
  7. Hendre

    Hendre Polypterus freak

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2016
    Messages:
    3,669
    Likes Received:
    1,729
    Location:
    Cape town
    Haha yeah.

    Still gonna be some time. The downside of getting free ones is that they are juvies. They are all over the show here generally

    Maybe something can be arranged
     
  8. OP
    Ladysphinx

    Ladysphinx

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2016
    Messages:
    889
    Likes Received:
    267
    Location:
    Benoni AH
    Whatbdo they go for generally if I may ask?
    I would love to arrange something, I want to also breed with bn plecos I heard they breed really easy.
     
  9. Hendre

    Hendre Polypterus freak

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2016
    Messages:
    3,669
    Likes Received:
    1,729
    Location:
    Cape town
    80 at shops here. Maybe 40 on gumtree

    They aren't crazy productive but hey. I need to start breeding something
     
  10. OP
    Ladysphinx

    Ladysphinx

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2016
    Messages:
    889
    Likes Received:
    267
    Location:
    Benoni AH
    Yeah but even then you don't see them here often so I'm sure I'll be able to get good prices on them if I sell the juveniles.

    Kribs too I paid R80 each thats R160 for a pair.
    I'm wondering if I should separate the fry once they are born since I have guppies and mollies in with the kribs. Maybe it will raise the odds of the kribs surviving. I could maybe remove the parent with the kribs into a bit smaller tank but I would prefer not too.
     
  11. Hendre

    Hendre Polypterus freak

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2016
    Messages:
    3,669
    Likes Received:
    1,729
    Location:
    Cape town
    There is always demand that's the thing.

    We pay 65 ea for small ones here. Expensive things. The fry should be okay for a bit with the parents, I think you'll end up with too many if you separate them lol
     
  12. OP
    Ladysphinx

    Ladysphinx

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2016
    Messages:
    889
    Likes Received:
    267
    Location:
    Benoni AH
    I did consider that they might breed again as soon as I remove the fry, Will have to see what my options are once they start breeding maybe remove only half of the fry if I have to. I'm guessing I could sell the Kribs for 40 each or 100 for an established pair if possible in the future
     
  13. Hendre

    Hendre Polypterus freak

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2016
    Messages:
    3,669
    Likes Received:
    1,729
    Location:
    Cape town
    Kribs are super prolific apparently. You could easily flood local market if not careful

    See what ya wanna do, they don't stop once they start afaik
     
  14. OP
    Ladysphinx

    Ladysphinx

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2016
    Messages:
    889
    Likes Received:
    267
    Location:
    Benoni AH
    Maybe, but I think it wouldn't really be that easy, it took me a whole year before I got my kribs I wanted.
     
  15. Hendre

    Hendre Polypterus freak

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2016
    Messages:
    3,669
    Likes Received:
    1,729
    Location:
    Cape town
    Lol. I know the feeling with my polypterus :p

    But they won't be spawning (unless I can find a male)
     
  16. Hendre

    Hendre Polypterus freak

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2016
    Messages:
    3,669
    Likes Received:
    1,729
    Location:
    Cape town
    We need pics of your duo :D
     
  17. OP
    Ladysphinx

    Ladysphinx

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2016
    Messages:
    889
    Likes Received:
    267
    Location:
    Benoni AH
    I will try to get a good pic, they female is really colouring up now her belly has lots of red and dark purple showing, I know the males don't get as bright as the female but his still very drab especially if you compare him to the female. I'm hoping feeding him some blood worm will help him to get some more colouring
     
  18. OP
    Ladysphinx

    Ladysphinx

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2016
    Messages:
    889
    Likes Received:
    267
    Location:
    Benoni AH
    Th is is the best I could do for now a crappy pic of my beautiful Kribs, the female is hiding a lot but still comes out, and when she does the male krib will chase all the fish away from her almost like his jealous. He never leaves her alone.


    Fish-2.jpg
     
  19. Hendre

    Hendre Polypterus freak

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2016
    Messages:
    3,669
    Likes Received:
    1,729
    Location:
    Cape town
    Looking good :)
     
    Ladysphinx likes this.
  20. 2time

    2time Keanan

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2009
    Messages:
    556
    Likes Received:
    58
    Location:
    Mitchell's Plain, Cape Town
    Very nice fish but very agro.

    They are hardy as well, many years ago when my pair bread I thought none of the fry will survive because of the tank mates but one day I cleaned my canister filter and a 3cm krib fell out.

    Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
     
  21. OP
    Ladysphinx

    Ladysphinx

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2016
    Messages:
    889
    Likes Received:
    267
    Location:
    Benoni AH
    @2time I have heard that they get very agro during breeding I hope some of the fry will survive. I have always been in love with kribs they are very cool fish to watch
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Kribensis pair Forum Date
Kribensis Pairing behaviour, not sure? Breeding Jun 15, 2011
3ft Sailfin Molly + Kribensis pair Tank Full tank shots Jan 18, 2010
Kribensis Pairing Cichlids Jan 6, 2010
Wanted: Kribensis - Cape Town Wanted/Swop/Freebies Apr 12, 2024
Wanted: Albino Kribensis Wanted/Swop/Freebies Nov 26, 2022
Wanted: Albino Kribensis Wanted/Swop/Freebies May 6, 2022
Freebie: Kribensis for free (Please ignore the wanted post) Wanted/Swop/Freebies Apr 20, 2022

Share This Page