knife fish - male or female?

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by FOXLY, Sep 7, 2010.

  1. FOXLY

    FOXLY

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2010
    Messages:
    33
    Likes Received:
    0
    anyone have any ideas on how to tell if my new knife fish is a male or female?
     
  2. Guest




  3. Marco

    Marco Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    May 24, 2010
    Messages:
    2,015
    Likes Received:
    287
    Location:
    Waverley Pretoria
    Sharpness is the give away-if sharp, its a male, if blunt its a female. JOKE! As far as I know there is no way of telling with knife species. Regards, Marco
     
  4. Vis

    Vis Gerhard

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2009
    Messages:
    6,130
    Likes Received:
    132
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    :D Foxly if I were you I would take that knife fish and test its sharpness on Marco.
     
  5. Firefly

    Firefly Pleco

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2010
    Messages:
    2,333
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    East London
    Foxly. Is this fish goin into your hexagon tank? How big is the tank becuase these guys need rather large tanks.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2010
  6. OP
    FOXLY

    FOXLY

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2010
    Messages:
    33
    Likes Received:
    0
    HAHAHA! you clown! that was quite funny. Oh well - I hate not knowing what sex my fish is.

    Firefly - I'm a girl - you cant ask me stuff like that. LOL! it's almost as tall as me, and it's wider than me. HAHHAHA It holds a lot more water than I can drink. Do I sound like a responsible fish owner? perhaps I should measure it so I dont sound like an idiot on these forums :)

    by the way, this knife fish of mine was very happy and brave when I brought him home, swam around all over the place, and since then has been hiding at the back behind the plants, and only comes out to eat. Is this ok?
     
  7. Asgar

    Asgar

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2008
    Messages:
    198
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Durban
    Typical Knife fish behaviour. Happens all the time as they grow older.
     
  8. Kel-Sol

    Kel-Sol

    Joined:
    May 20, 2010
    Messages:
    319
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Centurion
    Just keep on calling your knife fish a "he" and that makes him a boy! The guys on the forum also confused me for a guy until I had my user title as being my fish's mom! LOL its stopped me from getting technical questions and its stopped people being freaked out when I use comments like cute etc..
     
  9. OP
    FOXLY

    FOXLY

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2010
    Messages:
    33
    Likes Received:
    0
    Kel-Sol - LOL!!! That's quite funny, i suppose how would anyone know :)
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - knife fish male Forum Date
RSS Feed Black Ghost Knifefish: Care Guide For Night Eaters RSS Feeds May 12, 2020
Swop: Ghost Knife Fish Wanted/Swop/Freebies Feb 10, 2019
African Knifefish breeding - what we know Oddball fish Feb 21, 2017
Glass Knife Fish Oddball fish Dec 13, 2016
Multiple Black Ghost Knife fish Community Tanks Feb 17, 2016
Clown knife fish Asian Other Oct 13, 2015
Tropical Shipment arrived today:AFRICAN GLASS GHOST CATFISH AFRICAN KNIFE FI... Jungle Aquatics Aug 16, 2013

Share This Page