Kimberley Aquarists..... please help.....

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Cheetah, Dec 11, 2012.

  1. Cheetah

    Cheetah Retired moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    Messages:
    2,715
    Likes Received:
    124
    Location:
    Kimberley ( Northern Cape)
    I have settled in well now and I'm ready to stock up my fishroom for serious breeding projects..... So I took to the road this afternoon looking for two things...... a pet shop...... and a men's hairdresser...... I seriously need a haircut and I urgently need a fish shop to get rid of some of my excess fish and swop for breeding stocks....

    I set off driving around and eventually thought I might have gone too far (past the millitary base)..... when I made a U-Turn..... there was a sign saying "Kimberley - 14km"...... I just knew I went too far.....

    Can anyone please direct a newby KBY resident to a good LFS (and men's hairdressers)...... I will appreciate...... Ta!
     
  2. Guest




  3. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    @Cheetah,

    Is there a Yellow Pages?
    Probably worth your while visiting all of them if you want to offload your youngsters.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  4. ABAB

    ABAB

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2009
    Messages:
    59
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Upington
    As far as I know there are two. Don't know if it is allowed but one is at Proplants and the other is Van Der Byl's Pets. Both are in the telephone directory. What fish do you have for sale?
     
  5. OP
    Cheetah

    Cheetah Retired moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    Messages:
    2,715
    Likes Received:
    124
    Location:
    Kimberley ( Northern Cape)
    Dreggs..... I come from a deprived background (as far as stocks go)..... and I wish to change this..... I have a lot of Albino Bn's, most beautiful Guppies.... (adult males only - around 500 of them) and a lot of Apple snails.,..... That is basically all I had available from whence I come...... and I was not breeding seriously because I had no market for them..... Now!.... being in the city... I was hoping for better.... I have bred around some 40 odd species .....and if I can get the breeding stocks..... I am ready ... and rearing to go..... Looks like I'll have to get a phone directory to get the addresses..... And please..... I desperately need a haircut as well..... my dogs are barking at me.....
     
  6. Wickets

    Wickets Scalare

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2012
    Messages:
    238
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Primrose East
    Have you decided which species to concentrate on?
     
  7. OP
    Cheetah

    Cheetah Retired moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    Messages:
    2,715
    Likes Received:
    124
    Location:
    Kimberley ( Northern Cape)
    I will have to see what is available..... but definitally want to include rams and Koi/Marble Angels...... (If not Black Lace Angels)

    Oh!.... and of course, I have Orange Chromides and Kribs reaching breeding age and size.... (got them on mail order). so they will be on my list as well......

    As far as GF is concerned..... I'm still looking for Pandas and Black Moores........
     
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  8. Wickets

    Wickets Scalare

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2012
    Messages:
    238
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Primrose East
    I eventually decided on Angels, Guppies and Bettas. So far it seems to have been the right choice.
     
  9. ABAB

    ABAB

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2009
    Messages:
    59
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Upington
    Pm send.
     
  10. Ramrezi

    Ramrezi

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2011
    Messages:
    15
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Fourways, JHB
    Hi Cheetah,
    Lived in Kimberley about 10 years back and Van der Byls was pretty good. Bought my first big tank from him and at the time I actually thought he had a much better selection of fish than many LFS's in the larger cities, but then that was a while ago. He was in a private house quite close to the Telkom tower just off Long Str - Kimberleys only land mark other than a great hole!

    As for the hair dresser ..... pot & scissors?
     
  11. oupoot

    oupoot

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2012
    Messages:
    1,119
    Likes Received:
    341
    Location:
    Randburg
    Upgrade GF to wife 1.0 and you should have a hair dresser :nuts:
     
  12. OP
    Cheetah

    Cheetah Retired moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    Messages:
    2,715
    Likes Received:
    124
    Location:
    Kimberley ( Northern Cape)
    Oops!..... in GF.... I meant Goldfish.......I think the best bet would be to go to the Half and meet a couple of the locals.....maybe they can direct me.....
     
  13. oupoot

    oupoot

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2012
    Messages:
    1,119
    Likes Received:
    341
    Location:
    Randburg
    hahaha lol my bad, like bs having 2 meanings as well lol
     
  14. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    I think you should get a haircut before meeting the locals.... :tongue:
     
  15. Neels

    Neels

    Joined:
    May 21, 2012
    Messages:
    251
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Elspark, Germiston
    @Cheetah Do you have any Brown Spotted BN available? And I might be interested in some kribs and chromides.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  16. OP
    Cheetah

    Cheetah Retired moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    Messages:
    2,715
    Likes Received:
    124
    Location:
    Kimberley ( Northern Cape)
    Unfortunately not Neels..... and the Kribs and Chromides have just been set up for breeding yesterday..... still have to establish pairs, so it'll be some time before I have any of those available....

    I have a vague idea now where one of the lfs' in KBY is..... I'll do my riding around again today & see what I can come up with.....
     
  17. vipercore

    vipercore

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2012
    Messages:
    26
    Likes Received:
    0
    Van Der Byl's Pets is best for aquarium needs
     
  18. OP
    Cheetah

    Cheetah Retired moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    Messages:
    2,715
    Likes Received:
    124
    Location:
    Kimberley ( Northern Cape)
    Thanks for the info Viper.... I'll try find out where that is...... (and convince them to join the forum)..... you cannot run a LFS without being a member (or better still - a sponsor) of this forum......
     
  19. vipercore

    vipercore

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2012
    Messages:
    26
    Likes Received:
    0
    george street
    053 832 3908
     
  20. OP
    Cheetah

    Cheetah Retired moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    Messages:
    2,715
    Likes Received:
    124
    Location:
    Kimberley ( Northern Cape)
    I did find one hairdresser who will not see me again...... and 2 pet shops of which one will not see me again and the other one at a push...... It is pathetic that a city like this do not have a decent lfs..... I cannot believe what I saw was the best this town has to offer......
     
  21. vipercore

    vipercore

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2012
    Messages:
    26
    Likes Received:
    0
    That's why I moved to Jozi and Jozi is not as hot as Kby.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Kimberley Aquarists please Forum Date
Kimberley aquarists General Discussions Apr 8, 2011
Northen Cape (Kimberley) Bloemfontein members... General Discussions Dec 17, 2013
Hornwort in abundance!!!... if you want some... come fetch......(Kimberley).... Planted Tanks Jul 7, 2013
Edenvale Aquarists JHB Aquarists Jun 14, 2020
RSS Feed 15-Gallon Fish Tank Perfect For Beginning Aquarists RSS Feeds May 18, 2020
Any Aquarists from Cape Town here? General Discussions Nov 6, 2018
Responsability as aquarists General Discussions Aug 16, 2018

Share This Page