Keeping Crickets? | Breeding Crickets?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by larch, Aug 29, 2010.

  1. larch

    larch

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2010
    Messages:
    976
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    In my pants.
    Since my worm farming is going well and I can now produce a steady supply of worms for my growing Oscar I want to move onto breeding crickets. Does anyone know of someone locally who has accomplished this and created some kind of noddy guide regarding this? Most of the international websites only give me details on exotic crickets that we dont get here, and most local websites try and pedal me a book about farming crickets.

    I have figured out what they eat and how to give them water so they dont die, so the next logical step would be breeding them if anyone has any idea or point me in the right direction it would be really helpful thanks.
     
  2. Guest




  3. Whipme

    Whipme Microsword

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2009
    Messages:
    928
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Centuion
    I'm guessing you'd do best with some sort of terrarium, with fine mesh or sponge on all the openings. Feed them whatever it is they eat, and give them a source of water. I doubt crickets are that hard to breed.

    Maybe contact the people that sell them to the pet shops and see if they have a breeding kit? Or use Google's scholar search for research papers that might detail how they're bred for research.
     
  4. Michelle Beukes

    Michelle Beukes

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2010
    Messages:
    18
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Harrismith - Eastern Freestate
    I had bearded dragons and I was breeding with crickets once. You put small containers inside a big container for example a butter container with vermiculite in the small bucket and grid over the verculite. The grid must be fine enough so that the males can't get to the eggs which the females laid in the vermiculite. As soon as there are some eggs, take out the containter and close it and put it on a snake heating pad. Don't put it directly on the pad, because it gets to hot. After 11 days you will have a lot of babies. Put some bran in for food and waterballs for a water source. The trick is to get the babies big. It isn't easy to get them to grow. Hope it helps a bit. Good Luck!
     
  5. Scaly

    Scaly Therapeutic

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2009
    Messages:
    267
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Westdene JHB
    Hi Larch

    I have been breeding crickets for a while now-but have stopped because it is easier to get from a pet shop.

    This is what I discovered: The adults make a noise "Chirp City!!", but it becomes white nose after a short while. Apart form what Michelle said, the substrate where the eggs are laid has to be kept moist. I used a plastic bottle 250ml with a sponge inserted into a hole in the lid. The sponge made contact with the potting soil and kept it wet. I did not use a heater pad. If it dries the eggs die. As stated above, they do grow slowly which promted me to rathe buy some once every second week.

    The problem with crickets is the terrarium needs to be kept clean i.e. no rotting food. The mold will kill eggs.

    Cheers
    Vince
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Keeping Crickets Breeding Forum Date
Back into fishkeeping after a 6 year break New members Apr 13, 2025
Stumbling back into fishkeeping New members Jul 23, 2024
A Guide to Keeping and Breeding Walter-Worms Articles Feb 5, 2021
Returned to fishkeeping in lockdown. 5 month's and counting. New members Dec 6, 2020
Keeping track of Hendre's tanks Planted Tanks Nov 20, 2020
Keeping angels with rams General Fish Discussions Oct 21, 2020
It's Hot!!! Keeping the fish cool? General Discussions Oct 20, 2020

Share This Page