Keeping a Betta in a 2.5gal(11L)

Discussion in 'Labyrinth Fish' started by Ruan, Sep 9, 2010.

  1. Ruan

    Ruan Wooden Spoon

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2009
    Messages:
    695
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Sunninghill, JHB
    Now I'm having doubts about keeping a betta in a small tank like mine.
    I know petshops keep them in 4"x4" tanks, but thats unbelievably cruel.

    Would 11 liters be enough for the little guy, considering that 50% of the tank space is plants?

    I know it sounds stupid, I just want some clear advice on this.

    TA
    Ruan
     
  2. Guest




  3. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    11 litres... that's a 1ft right? I don't see it being a problem.
     
  4. OP
    Ruan

    Ruan Wooden Spoon

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2009
    Messages:
    695
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Sunninghill, JHB
    Its little under 1ft, dimensions are 250mmx220mmx190mm
     
  5. 10i

    10i catfish-a-holic

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2010
    Messages:
    329
    Likes Received:
    13
    Location:
    East London
    its small, but as long as it has a heater it should be fine.
     
  6. OP
    Ruan

    Ruan Wooden Spoon

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2009
    Messages:
    695
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Sunninghill, JHB
    Yes I do have one, its almost never on though, LOL.
     
  7. Fishman01

    Fishman01 Tetra

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2010
    Messages:
    42
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Krugersdorp - Gauteng
    Hi Ruan
    I've got Rikus(my little girl named him) in a 11L as well and he is one of the happiest fish i have. A few months ago i thought i would do him a favour and put him in a 2ft but he was very unhappy and would'nt eat, so i put him back and whoala - happy again. Glad to see u got a heater.
     
  8. Kel-Sol

    Kel-Sol

    Joined:
    May 20, 2010
    Messages:
    319
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Centurion
    There are many people out there who keep their betta's in 8 Litres/2gallons and up and their bettas are perfectly happy. Water changes just become more important then but I say go for it.
     
  9. Vis

    Vis Gerhard

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2009
    Messages:
    6,130
    Likes Received:
    132
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    Ja 11L will be fine. Just feed him properly and keep his water clean.
     
  10. OP
    Ruan

    Ruan Wooden Spoon

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2009
    Messages:
    695
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Sunninghill, JHB
    Thanks for the input guys, I'm sure he'll be happy then.
    The water is at a constant temp of 27Degrees and 7.5 PH, good?
     
  11. Vis

    Vis Gerhard

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2009
    Messages:
    6,130
    Likes Received:
    132
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    You can drop the PH a little. Though bettas has been tank bred for so long
    that they might be use to higher ph.
     
  12. OP
    Ruan

    Ruan Wooden Spoon

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2009
    Messages:
    695
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Sunninghill, JHB
    It couldn't hurt to drop the PH a lil. It fluctuates a bit because of the CO2. As soon as the Betta goes in the CO2 gets chucked.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Keeping Betta 5gal(11L) Forum Date
Keeping a Betta in Cape Town climate Beginner Discussions Feb 6, 2019
Keeping Rasbora Kubotai with a Betta? Members Systems Feb 4, 2018
RSS Feed Keeping female Betta fish RSS Feeds Feb 8, 2017
Back into fishkeeping after a 6 year break New members Apr 13, 2025
Stumbling back into fishkeeping New members Jul 23, 2024
A Guide to Keeping and Breeding Walter-Worms Articles Feb 5, 2021
Returned to fishkeeping in lockdown. 5 month's and counting. New members Dec 6, 2020

Share This Page