juwel 240 litre black.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by WMDavies, Mar 10, 2014.

  1. WMDavies

    WMDavies

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2011
    Messages:
    90
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Hillcrest, Kzn
    I have a juwel 240litre black aquarium with 2 X 54 watt bulbs with reflectors. I think they are T5 lights. Is this considered to be high or low light as I know with high light tanks you probably would need injected co2 to help plants grow better. I am going to try dose excel first but if doesn't work will go for co2 injection. But just want to make sure my tank lights are considered to be high lights.
     
  2. Guest




  3. Firefly

    Firefly Pleco

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2010
    Messages:
    2,333
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    East London
    I wouldn't consider it to be high light. If there were 4X 54W then it probably would be. At the moment, I would say medium light, so you could get away without CO2 and have a medium-tech tank. Also, find out what the Kelvin ratings are for the bulbs. They are indicated by 4-5 digits followed by a "K" or there should be a code on the bulb, the last two digits being the K ratings. HTH
     
  4. OP
    WMDavies

    WMDavies

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2011
    Messages:
    90
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Hillcrest, Kzn
    It says each bulb is 9000 kelvin. I have 2 bulbs so is 18000 kelvin medium or high light then?
     
  5. OP
    WMDavies

    WMDavies

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2011
    Messages:
    90
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Hillcrest, Kzn
    I looked on the juwel website and it said the day light bulb I have is 9000 kelvin and the nature bulb is 4100 kelvin so in total I have 13100 kelvin.
     
  6. morris

    morris

    Joined:
    May 6, 2010
    Messages:
    409
    Likes Received:
    73
    Location:
    Joburg
    you don't count the Kelvin ratings together.
    Each bulb has its own light spectrum, Kelvin rating
    Your lights are good to grow plants yes, they in the right Kelvin rating
     
  7. Swagasaurus

    Swagasaurus

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2013
    Messages:
    1,707
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Centurion
    @WMDavies: I wont worry too much about your lights it is more than enough. I grow my plants with a clip on light that is used for reptile tanks. lol!
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  8. OP
    WMDavies

    WMDavies

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2011
    Messages:
    90
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Hillcrest, Kzn
    Thanks for the advice guys. Do you know if I would need added co2 to grow plants well in my tank as most sites say with high light aquariums you need co2. Not sure if my rank is considered high light? Or if not is using the seachem excel sufficient?
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - juwel litre black Forum Date
juwel 240 litre black Full tank shots Mar 17, 2014
Looking for a juwel bioflow M General Equipment discussion Jul 23, 2024
Wanted: Juwel Primo 70 LED Wanted/Swop/Freebies Dec 3, 2023
Wanted: LED canopy for Juwel Rio 125 Wanted/Swop/Freebies Dec 3, 2023
Installing zetlight on juwel tank General Discussions Nov 5, 2023
Juwel Aquarium for sale General Discussions Apr 13, 2023
Dive into Savings with Juwel Aquariums this Easter! Get 25% Off at Jungle Aquatics Today! Jungle Aquatics Apr 8, 2023

Share This Page