Jellybean Cichlid Fry

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by TMD, Mar 29, 2011.

  1. TMD

    TMD

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2010
    Messages:
    59
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Florida, GP
    Hi,

    About a month ago I bought two little jellybean parrots for my daughter. Long story short - I thought these guys were unable to breed (being hybrids and sterile and all). It appears somebody forgot to tell these two that :blink1:

    Cleaned their tank yesterday and nothing looked any different. No eggs, just a couple of large pits they've dug in the gravel. Nothing unusual...

    Woke up this morning to find a couple of free-swimming fry in the hidey-hole (not a clue as to how they survived the gravel vac). What now? Do I leave them or remove them? What do I feed them? Any advice would be welcome...

    Also, the bigger one has nipped the smaller one's fins rather badly. Would it be OK if I remove it, or would the fry need both parents around?

    I've only ever raised guppy fry before, so parents that don't immediate eat their young is new to me...

    Thanks for the help.
    Theresa
     
  2. Guest




  3. TropicalBoy

    TropicalBoy

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2010
    Messages:
    241
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Sandton, Johannesburg
    Hi TMD
    Can you please post a pic of the Jellybean as I have not seen one yet
     
  4. OP
    TMD

    TMD

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2010
    Messages:
    59
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Florida, GP
    Sure..
    Sure. They look like this...
    jellybean.jpg

    jellybean.jpg
     
  5. TropicalBoy

    TropicalBoy

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2010
    Messages:
    241
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Sandton, Johannesburg
    Is this also known as toffee fish?
    It also looks similar to an albino hybrid convict
     
  6. johan008

    johan008

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2009
    Messages:
    685
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    JUKSKEI PARK - RANDBURG
    Those are not parrots but pink convicts and they breed like rabbits

    You can feed them BBS or just crushed pellets and the parents are normally great at taking care of their young
     
  7. OP
    TMD

    TMD

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2010
    Messages:
    59
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Florida, GP
    Dude, not a clue!!! :wondering:
    Were sold as jellybeans...
     
  8. OP
    TMD

    TMD

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2010
    Messages:
    59
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Florida, GP

    Thanks for this...
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Jellybean Cichlid Forum Date
FB: Watch What Happens When MrG Is Reunited With His Donkey Friend Jellybean.Anim... Jungle Aquatics Jun 1, 2014
Wanted: Macaw cichlid Wanted/Swop/Freebies Mar 31, 2026
Cockatoo cichlid breeders anywhere? Cichlids May 4, 2025
Wanted: American Cichlids, Discus and Plekos Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jan 8, 2025
Labidochromis caeruleus (Yellow lab cichlid) Beginner Discussions Oct 25, 2024
Wanted: Malawi Cichlids Wanted/Swop/Freebies Oct 1, 2024
Wanted: Looking for a Flowerhorn Cichlid Wanted/Swop/Freebies Feb 27, 2024

Share This Page