Java moss and Malawis ?

Discussion in 'The Planted Tank' started by Corne, Dec 12, 2011.

  1. Corne

    Corne

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2011
    Messages:
    611
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Villeria
    Can you keep java moss with Malawis
    The web is a bit vague about this
    If it is plausible where can I get some and it would be lovely if it can grow on my silica background
     
  2. Guest




  3. Sean J

    Sean J

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2009
    Messages:
    3,835
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Randburg JHB
    I am not 100% sure, but I think the malawis will make a meal out of the moss. There are not many plants that they wont eat.
     
  4. Lizid

    Lizid

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2010
    Messages:
    1,652
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Johannesburg
    I need to agree with @Sean J our Malawis at the office chomp anything that remotly resembles a leaf...
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  5. OP
    Corne

    Corne

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2011
    Messages:
    611
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Villeria
    Ouch is all I can say
    They leave my java ferns alone ?
    Plastic Plants then seems the only other way
     
  6. Lizid

    Lizid

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2010
    Messages:
    1,652
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Johannesburg
    @Corne you must me lucky lol the Java Ferns lasted a whole 5 minutes then I watch them have a snack...
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  7. OP
    Corne

    Corne

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2011
    Messages:
    611
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Villeria
    Ok I need help and advice my setup is too spartan and bare,anyone willing to help
     
  8. Sean J

    Sean J

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2009
    Messages:
    3,835
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Randburg JHB
    Chuck the malawis, get plant friendly fish, and plant the heck out of the tank!!! :p
     
  9. OP
    Corne

    Corne

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2011
    Messages:
    611
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Villeria
    I am stuck on Malawis
    I was never keen on normal fish
    I did keep Guppies too feed my oscars lol
    Is there a LPS that is not insanely expensive on fake plants paying R60 for a small plant seems steep.That coupled on the R300 I spent on piece of driftwood that is still leeching outside got me a bit worried
     
  10. wsteene

    wsteene

    Joined:
    May 11, 2011
    Messages:
    727
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Dunedin, New Zealand
    @Corne, as mentioned, malawis and plants, not compatible at all. Unfortunately synthetic plants are a bit on the expensive side, I'll have a look for you around on this side if there is some cheaper ones available and will PM you if so, I'll be coming to Pretoria within about two weeks time if you are interested then maybe we can arrange something. I'll keep you up to date.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  11. OP
    Corne

    Corne

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2011
    Messages:
    611
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Villeria
    Thank you. It will be appreciated
     
  12. wsteene

    wsteene

    Joined:
    May 11, 2011
    Messages:
    727
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Dunedin, New Zealand
    My pleasure, just keep your inbox at eye.
     
  13. wsteene

    wsteene

    Joined:
    May 11, 2011
    Messages:
    727
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Dunedin, New Zealand
    @Corne, check your inbox, have just send you a PM.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  14. OP
    Corne

    Corne

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2011
    Messages:
    611
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Villeria
    Got it thanks
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Java moss Malawis Forum Date
Wanted: Looking for aquatic moss (aside from Java) Wanted/Swop/Freebies May 11, 2026
Wanted: Java moss swap Wanted/Swop/Freebies Mar 14, 2023
Wanted: Java moss Wanted/Swop/Freebies Mar 4, 2023
Swop: Java moss x 2 bags Wanted/Swop/Freebies Oct 13, 2022
Freebie: Java moss Wanted/Swop/Freebies Aug 20, 2022
Swop: Java moss and Hydrocotle sibthorpioides Cape Town Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jul 11, 2022
Wanted: Looking For Large Quantity Java Moss and Java Ferns Wanted/Swop/Freebies May 23, 2022

Share This Page