Jardini not eating

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Jay, Aug 20, 2013.

  1. Jay

    Jay

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2012
    Messages:
    471
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Boksburg Gauteng
    Hi all

    I have a Jardini arowana that I was selling a while back but kept him owing to the fact that he stopped eating. It had been two weeks now and he has not eaten anything, nor shown classic Jardini aggression like his brother and he is currently housed in a four foot with an earth eater who is placid and possibly the least intimidating fish I have.

    i have tried shrimp, crickets, chicken etc. and he seems uninterested in it all.

    he is still swimming efficiently and is showing great colour

    i am however not keen on feeding him feeders at the moment unless I have to
    the water is fine, I switched him and his brother( who is eating anything i put in the tank) around and his brother is still eating aggressively

    any help will be greatly appreciated , regards, Jason
     
  2. Guest




  3. Good_Times

    Good_Times Kalahari Sandhaai

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2012
    Messages:
    928
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Upington
    What were you feeding him before he stopped?
    Maybe try mixing in some garlic guard with his food.
     
  4. OP
    Jay

    Jay

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2012
    Messages:
    471
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Boksburg Gauteng
    I've bought a searchem garlic product and he still isn't interested

    he used to be fed on super shrimp, a dried shrimp product for arowanas apparently and small frozen chicken cubes
     
  5. Sean J

    Sean J

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2009
    Messages:
    3,835
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Randburg JHB
    I think feeding frozen food to him might be your problem? You'll need a more knowledgable person to help you out with that though. It causes problems in their guts when you feed fish frozen food that hasn't thawed yet.
     
  6. OP
    Jay

    Jay

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2012
    Messages:
    471
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Boksburg Gauteng
    Okay thank you for the responses
    is there anyone on the forum who can help me further ? all the chicken that was given was not completely frozen but I believe that it may have made him constipated. Only recently had he started pooing , but I am worried he has internal damage then, is this possible? I've had a couple of these guys and have never had this problem. The rest have grown up strong colorful and heahealthy regards Jason
     
  7. stormbringer101

    stormbringer101 ARO

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2009
    Messages:
    700
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    JHB CONSTANTIA KLOOF
    Hey man
    If the jardini is still swimming around as normal and the tail colours are bright I wouldn't worry to much yet my girl has gone on hunger strikes a couple of times over the years the longest being close to a month . Just keep feeding what you have always fed and remove it afterward s if not eaten . when my jar was sick she stoped swimming completely and just hung around the surface .check your water quality do a few small water changes . I dose with rooibos and salt at the first sign of trouble now ...


    BUT I must say 99%of the time any problem I have had with the jar has been from outside the tank and not the water quality ,the smallest thing like furniture moving , books out of place on the bookshelf .small little things seem to freak her out for days on end until I move it back or she gets used to it . If you moved him then that is likely the problem change in environment etc . Might not be your problem but worth looking at .
     
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  8. oscar freak

    oscar freak

    Joined:
    May 5, 2010
    Messages:
    3,655
    Likes Received:
    56
    Location:
    Kensington Jhb
    whats your water temperature?
     
  9. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    Maybe try some small live earth earthworms?
    The movement might trigger him to feed.
     
  10. OP
    Jay

    Jay

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2012
    Messages:
    471
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Boksburg Gauteng
    The water sits at 27 , I haven't tried earth worms yet , will give it a go. Thanks @stormbringer101 , the room is very busy, might move her or him to a quieter room if it persists.

    he/ she is swimming freely with no problems , was just concerned about her eating, obviously.

    Thanks all for your advadvice regards, Jason
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  11. stormbringer101

    stormbringer101 ARO

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2009
    Messages:
    700
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    JHB CONSTANTIA KLOOF
    Good luck , will still come and look at one of them to buy if you still keen then and if I ever get back home again.
     
  12. OP
    Jay

    Jay

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2012
    Messages:
    471
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Boksburg Gauteng
    Definitely man, he went for a small piece of chicken last night which is very good news, although he didn't eat it, it at least shows some interest. I think I might try keep the one, the other one you are more than welcome to come have a look at. He shows characteristic Jardini behavior. Beautiful looking fish
     
  13. OP
    Jay

    Jay

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2012
    Messages:
    471
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Boksburg Gauteng
    Tried to feed him today and he ate:bigsmile:
     
  14. stormbringer101

    stormbringer101 ARO

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2009
    Messages:
    700
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    JHB CONSTANTIA KLOOF
    Nice ,glad he is eating .
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Jardini eating Forum Date
RSS Feed Jardini Arowana: Water Conditions, Health, Tankmates & More RSS Feeds Feb 16, 2020
Wanted: Jardini Arowana Wanted? Wanted/Swop/Freebies Oct 15, 2018
ozzy the jardini arowana Oddball fish Feb 21, 2018
My new Jardini's Oddball fish Jul 4, 2017
Wanted: Jardini arowana Wanted/Swop/Freebies May 21, 2015
the Jardini. General Discussions Dec 19, 2013
Itch that needs to be scratched with my Jardini Community Tanks Sep 13, 2013

Share This Page