Is your tank(s) hard work??

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Cheetah, Aug 15, 2010.

  1. Cheetah

    Cheetah Retired moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    Messages:
    2,715
    Likes Received:
    124
    Location:
    Kimberley ( Northern Cape)
    The most common reply I get when talking fish to non aquarists is "No ways!!!... to much hard work".
    Now maybe I'm missing something, but even when I had all 40 of my tanks up and running.... I had a set routine, but it was never really to much work or "hard" work???
    What's your take on this?.... do you work hard at maintaining your tank(s)??
     
  2. Guest




  3. 10i

    10i catfish-a-holic

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2010
    Messages:
    329
    Likes Received:
    13
    Location:
    East London
    no, i do water changes on a tuesday or wednesday. i drain water into a large bucket. then put the replacement treated water on a ladder and wait for gravity to do the rest. the container on the ladder has a pipe siliconed into the bottom which makes life easier. i think what helps is not overstocking your setup. i change ten litres on my 2ft and five litres on my 1ft every week and have 2 filters in each tank. filters are cleaned once a month.
     
  4. TMD

    TMD

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2010
    Messages:
    59
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Florida, GP
    I do "clean-ups" on Saturdays. Generally by around Wednesdays I can't wait for the weekend to arrive so that I can do it all again! So for me it is not a case of hard work, it is something that I do to keep my fish happy and healthy... (And funny enough - I kinda enjoy it!)
     
  5. Q89

    Q89 Discus

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2010
    Messages:
    242
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Swakopmund
    I agree.

    And i have Discus that need the best water quality.
     
  6. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    I think this perception comes from way-back-when when you had to take all the gravel out every few weeks to clean the undergravel filters... and that perception has stuck!
     
  7. Firefly

    Firefly Pleco

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2010
    Messages:
    2,333
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    East London
    Zoom. I don't take my undergravel out to clean, I just use a gravel vac once a week and do a 20% water change. I want to build myself a canister filter so I can take the UGF out. As for people not wanting fish. I just think they are lazy.
     
  8. Sherwin

    Sherwin

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2010
    Messages:
    108
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Dbn
    Lol, I also get that alot. People will come over and say: "this tank must be hard work man." We had a tank and all the fish died . How do you manage? And I am like, I do nothing really, just a water change and filter wash.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2010
  9. Slojo

    Slojo

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2009
    Messages:
    2,115
    Likes Received:
    24
    Sheesh but you guys do a lot of work.
    My tank gets a waterchange once a month,feeding of course twice a day,Admiring the whole day.

    How?
    Correct Type and amount of fish,filters,plants,fertilizers and size of tank.
     
  10. larch

    larch

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2010
    Messages:
    976
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    In my pants.
    I basically clean my filters once a month, that includes my canister filter and my power head. I stopped doing gravel vac's because I found it rather pointless with my Oscar as all his waste is rather solid and just sits on top and I end up vac'ing nothing more than clean water...other than that I remove algae from the glass whenever I notice it and trim the dead leaves off my plants. And every 3-4 day I just use my trusty old net and scoop up any solid fish waste I see.

    I am currently experimenting with my water changes for my tank as I found my nitrates and ammonia is pretty much rock bottom from the start so I went from a 30% on a weekly basis to 30% on a monthly and so far so good. Obviously there is smaller maintenance stuff on a daily basis but that is not even worth mentioning.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2010
  11. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    My Nano get's a W/C ever week. This is because I need to get rid of the algae.

    My big tank actually only get's W/C every 2nd week. This is because of study commitments that I am unable to do it once a week. But I have been very fortunate that even after 14 days I am only starting to get GSA on the glass.. which is a good sign.
     
  12. Shakes

    Shakes

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2010
    Messages:
    449
    Likes Received:
    5
    Location:
    Wilderness
    Takes me 45min every sunday to do a 10% water change on all three of my 250lt tanks, which includes vacuuming the sand/gravel each time. My main tank takes about an hour and a half to clean. So theres 2 and a quarter hours to maintain something I really enjoy. No effort at all then.
     
  13. Noodle

    Noodle

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2010
    Messages:
    224
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Pretoria
    IMO, anyone who considers keeping an aquarium "too much work" should be forbidden by law to ever own an aquarium!

    I enjoy any "work" that needs to be done, and more often than not, worry that I'm not doing enough.

    After all, isn't that what aquarists do? Care for our fish. A true labor of love.
     
  14. Max98

    Max98

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2008
    Messages:
    123
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Gauteng
    I do things to make it less work and less maintenance time:
    Auto water changer with solenoid valves
    Auto topup
    Pressurized Co2 instead of diy

    The rest is the fun part.
     
  15. Linxie

    Linxie

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2009
    Messages:
    1,821
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Port Elizabeth, South Africa
    I too enjoy the maintenance on my tanks. I find it has a soothing effect on me and I could spend an entire day working on a tank if need be :D
     
  16. windfire

    windfire

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2009
    Messages:
    1,150
    Likes Received:
    13
    Location:
    joburg and pretoria. i cant travel to pta everyday
    Honestly i enjoy my water changes once a week on both my tanks, i gravel vac the 1.2m weekly and the betta setup every 2 weeks. I dont understand the to much work thing personally i get alot of satisfaction sitting down afterward and looking at my clean tank.
     
  17. larch

    larch

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2010
    Messages:
    976
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    In my pants.
    True, nothing like after having a hectic or stressful day at work then after-wards spending it maintaining your setup and admiring your handy work and having your own little eco-system in your home.

    Regards
    Frikkie Vis Vingers
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - tank(s) hard Forum Date
My breeding Tank(s) Setup Breeding Jan 9, 2010
Wanted: Brichardi Cichlid Wanted Wanted/Swop/Freebies Mar 4, 2023
pH & Hardness chemistry Advanced Topics Aug 12, 2021
Where to buy Chili Rasbora in Gauteng? Hard to find. General Fish Discussions Jul 30, 2021
Livestock and hardware needed Sponsor Requests Jun 2, 2021
Trying hard! New members May 4, 2021
Hardscape Collected from Wild Beginner Discussions Apr 26, 2021

Share This Page