I'm a mother!

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by natnat, Feb 23, 2012.

  1. natnat

    natnat

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2010
    Messages:
    132
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Cape Town City Bowl
    Hi!


    After many failed attempts my red spotter deacons have finally got it together “gave birth†to a bunch of fry. They are now all free swimming (for the last 2 days) the parents still hold them in their mouth in an attempt to keep them in one spot (which proves to be very difficult). I moved the pair of Angels with whom they shared the tank to my other tank so now the family has the a spacious 350 litter all to itself. My question is; if and when I have to separate the fry from the parents. I would prefer not to do it for as long as I can as I don’t have a third tank but I am not sure what the protocol is....


    As always I will appreciate any advice !

    PS
    The filter in the pic is off....

    20120223_102834.jpg

    20120223_102856.jpg
     
  2. Guest




  3. wsteene

    wsteene

    Joined:
    May 11, 2011
    Messages:
    727
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Dunedin, New Zealand
    Congratulations!! Hope you can manage to raise all of them, I moved the fry at day 4 and they coped.
     
  4. 1300wipass

    1300wipass

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2011
    Messages:
    212
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Ape Town
    hey theres a head growing out of that fishes tail in the first pic!!
     
  5. firemanmuzz

    firemanmuzz

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2011
    Messages:
    276
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Durban,Kzn
    nice one ,i always like golden deacons ,i havent seen them in a petshop here in ages.
     
  6. OP
    natnat

    natnat

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2010
    Messages:
    132
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Cape Town City Bowl
    Hey firemanmuzz there are red spotted decons

    RESPECT!:blink1:
     
  7. firemanmuzz

    firemanmuzz

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2011
    Messages:
    276
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Durban,Kzn
    i stand corrected ,they derived from golds i presume tho,they certainly really pretty fish ,congrats on the fry.
     
  8. azurekoi

    azurekoi Loaches & Gobies

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2010
    Messages:
    4,077
    Likes Received:
    61
    Location:
    Pretoria
    @natnat - Congrats my friend!!! I would leave them for with the fry....especially since this is their 1st spawning.... Why break up something beautiful and disturb a parents 1st spawn? Tank is more than big enough to raise them,with their parents to a pretty decent size - that is till parents want to do the dirty again...he,he. Only remove them when the parents start spawning behaviour again....

    What you feeding the baba's btw?
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  9. OP
    natnat

    natnat

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2010
    Messages:
    132
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Cape Town City Bowl
    Azurekoi ! always wise, always inspiring and forever positive. Thank you for this; it is what I wanted to hear. My next question was going to be about the foods so i'm glad you asked. I purchased some DARO baby fish food (for egg layers) but didn’t use it yet. Not sure when I should start and how; the fry are so small and the parents are probably going to get to the food first. Must I continue feeding the parents “adult” food?
     
  10. azurekoi

    azurekoi Loaches & Gobies

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2010
    Messages:
    4,077
    Likes Received:
    61
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Your fry are free swimming by now...start feeding!!! they are feeding off bits and bobs in the tank already - so feed the one you got (Although I'm not a big fan of their products....) Even crushed flake they will take already being rather large as fry go... feed the parents as per normal - they gotta get their strength back up ....

    BBS(Baby Brine Shrimp) would be great,but in such a big tank a lot would get lost....

    PS: How big are the Clown loaches? ....
     
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  11. OP
    natnat

    natnat

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2010
    Messages:
    132
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Cape Town City Bowl
    Clowns have slowed down they seem to have all reached a similar size approximately 15cm, some are wider. All 12 are like one synchronised organism beautifully coordinated. They have absolutely no fear spending much time patrolling the entire tank and always trying to interact following every movement in the room. It’s a very busy tank now probably slightly overcrowded as I moved all the others into it (from the 300 litter) so its 12 loaches 5 silver dollars, 2 very entertaining parrots, approximately 8 rainbows and 6 Giant danios. I do a weekly water change and the tank is happy. I will send you some photos soon
     
  12. azurekoi

    azurekoi Loaches & Gobies

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2010
    Messages:
    4,077
    Likes Received:
    61
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Shweet!!! The Clowns have slowed down - just like I said they would.... put pretty impressive growth in just over a year!! Cant wait to see the pics...
     
  13. OP
    natnat

    natnat

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2010
    Messages:
    132
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Cape Town City Bowl
    God they difficult to capture, just took a few pics with my phone will try net week with a proper camera but you can get an idea

    20120224_113145.jpg

    20120224_113150.jpg

    20120224_113204.jpg
     
  14. azurekoi

    azurekoi Loaches & Gobies

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2010
    Messages:
    4,077
    Likes Received:
    61
    Location:
    Pretoria
    @natnat.... he,he - I hate you so much right now.... lol

    They are gorgeous - nice to see happy healthy CL's of that size - and retaining the black so well!!! Job very well done me girl!!! thanx for the pics.... Worth it now after all the initial hassles hey?
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  15. f-fish

    f-fish #unspecified

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,642
    Likes Received:
    2,260
    Location:
    JHB - Randburg
    very cool - natnat well worth the effort ... good job!
     
  16. OP
    natnat

    natnat

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2010
    Messages:
    132
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Cape Town City Bowl
    Thank you guys, I could never have done it without the support i get here!
    By the way, only about 10 fry left...
     
  17. OP
    natnat

    natnat

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2010
    Messages:
    132
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Cape Town City Bowl
    OH well.... the young couple has just laid another bunch of eggs, there are still looking after approximatly 10 little one but i didnt expect it to happen so fast...
    Any ideas?...
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - mother Forum Date
Mothers day weekend special !!!!!! Dorry Pets May 12, 2017
Mother's day competition Dorry Pets May 8, 2017
Mothers day gift. Labyrinth Fish May 9, 2014
mothers day General Discussions May 11, 2013
Happy Mother's day.... to all mothers...... General Off-Topic chat May 11, 2013
Need some Help - My Molly is close to become a mother. Breeding Feb 21, 2012
Sick Mother Diseases May 19, 2010

Share This Page