Illegal Fish

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Skye01, Feb 18, 2014.

  1. Skye01

    Skye01

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2011
    Messages:
    1,273
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Rynfield, Benoni. GP
    Hi all,

    http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-fish/brakpan/red-belly-piranha-fish-for-sale/1001096735630910166073809

    http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-fish/brakpan/rare-exotic-fish/1001095849420910005963809

    http://www.gumtree.co.za/a-fish/krugersdorp/exotic-fish/1001097626500910001507509

    This is exactly the kind of irresponsible trade that we are all trying to get banned or regulated...

    Some unsuspecting person goes in and buys a cute little fish never expecting it to grow into a monster that they can no longer keep in their little tank and not only that proceeds to eat everything else in their tank.

    I don't have a problem if they insist on getting a permit to sell such fish, but I would rather that they insist on the buyers signing a contract & getting a permit to keep them as well. At least that way they can be regulated on numbers allowed into the country. I also feel that it is the responsibility of the person selling these fish to also find out if the buyer is indeed a responsible fish keeper and not just some Joe Blogs of the street and has not the first idea of how to even look after fish.

    It's because of people like this that spoil the rest of the hobby for the rest of us.
     
  2. Guest




  3. OP
    Skye01

    Skye01

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2011
    Messages:
    1,273
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Rynfield, Benoni. GP
    I will ask the mods to make a sticky of the complaint forms to be filled out in such an instant and to whom it has to be sent to get it enforced.
     
  4. ROEKSTE

    ROEKSTE

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2011
    Messages:
    840
    Likes Received:
    21
    Location:
    Pretoria
    @Skye01 - I fully understand where you are comming from with this. One qeustion, Since we are on the disscution on the forum. Why not open the fish imports to "you may import any fish" with a list of fish on a "Licence to keep species" on another list and then a black list with distinct fish that will make trouble without a doudt. The Black list should have things on it like Pleco's (International know invasive species - Home). I know there is a storm comming over what mentioned but heck this is a debate forum.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  5. Johan Kotze

    Johan Kotze

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2013
    Messages:
    75
    Likes Received:
    0
    I am sure if you searched TASA there is about two million threads like this, with the op throwing a hissy fit only for the thread to be forgotten in a day or two..... True story
     
  6. OP
    Skye01

    Skye01

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2011
    Messages:
    1,273
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Rynfield, Benoni. GP
    @ROEKSTE - I understand what you are saying & yes I suppose that I'm wrong what I said before but these are getting into the country at the moment, so what do we do about this now? They are already here....

    All I'm saying is that rather than banning things outright, we force the people who want to keep them into a situation of being responsible about the keeping of these species that they now own. I also think that they need to be forced in to learning all they can about the blacklisted species they now own...

    Like the guy from 50/50 said, now you have an illegal species what do you do with it now?
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  7. OP
    Skye01

    Skye01

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2011
    Messages:
    1,273
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Rynfield, Benoni. GP
    Hi Mods,

    Please remove this thread for me...

    Thanks
     
  8. iamdieter

    iamdieter

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2013
    Messages:
    321
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Benoni, South Africa
  9. Pierré Schoonraad

    Pierré Schoonraad Rainbow Freak

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2012
    Messages:
    2,072
    Likes Received:
    700
    Location:
    Queenswood Pretoria
    Why don't everyone report these type of adds as being illegal fish to keep in SA. I did. lets see what happens
     
  10. ROEKSTE

    ROEKSTE

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2011
    Messages:
    840
    Likes Received:
    21
    Location:
    Pretoria
    These fish is being imported under mainly names like spotted silver dollars when they are really small. Like 2-3cm they really look very similar. Some times they are packed as contaminated fish with silver dollars and the importers only see it or hear of when they are sold into the trade other times the importers take a chance and import them under a false name but know what is comming.

    Remember, the controls is only as good as the education that the people recived for this.

    These has been in the country for quite a number of years.
     
  11. Johan Kotze

    Johan Kotze

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2013
    Messages:
    75
    Likes Received:
    0
    I wasn't trying to attack you, point was just that these threads pop up often, but nothing seems to come of it and it just gets forgotten.
     
  12. Swagasaurus

    Swagasaurus

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2013
    Messages:
    1,707
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Centurion
    Nothing will happen, if you go read Gumtree's AUP then you will understand why nothing will happen and why the ads keep showing up.

    Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2
     
  13. OP
    Skye01

    Skye01

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2011
    Messages:
    1,273
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Rynfield, Benoni. GP
    Hi all,

    I think that the saddest thing of all is that the Alligator Gar is not even listed in the black list.... I don't know what people are going to do with them when they reach their eventual size of 10+ feet.:Rulz:

    Again I agree with you @ROEKSTE, the people that are in the regulations office obviously have no education regarding anything to do with nature conservation, not only fish, but plants & other wildlife as well... :stupido: It's all about the "gravy train" and jobs for mates rather than caring about our very precarious eco-system. It just really makes me angry...:motz:

    Now they are trying to make us as fish keepers pay the price for the slip-ups that they have already made. It's like shutting the proverbial door after the horse has bolted...
     
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  14. iamdieter

    iamdieter

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2013
    Messages:
    321
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Benoni, South Africa
    Just a comment and perhaps a question. Seeing that the Gauteng conservation/environmental act is currently ranking high on the agenda, I always felt a very good argument to justify keeping species such a S.Natteri and others, is the fact that these fish cannot survive in wild populations on the Highveld due to winter temperatures, i.e. it would not be possible for them to go through a complete breeding cycle. In Gauteng, I also doubt there is a ecosystem that will sustain such a species from a water quality point of view.

    I can 100% see it being a problem in the warmer places like KZN, LI, MP, and yes they could get there via our river systems ex GP. In reality the chances are very very slim though. Why are Bass tolerated everywhere, I do like fishing, but Bass are a death sentence to all our natural occurring species, they survive in the cold and all sorts of water conditions, yet the sport of Bass fishing is hugely encouraged, and all our dams are full of the things.

    Aquarium trade is probably just an easy target.
     
  15. Swagasaurus

    Swagasaurus

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2013
    Messages:
    1,707
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Centurion
    There are many species on the blacklist which would never survive in our waters due too water pollution, water conditions and predators. There are so many things to consider, I am wondering if they even set up test sites too see if imported animals would survive local conditions.
     
  16. iamdieter

    iamdieter

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2013
    Messages:
    321
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Benoni, South Africa
    So I coincidently ran into the guy who is selling these Piranas at a LFS. Turns out they are actually Pacu's. Anyway still illegal. Story goes He got them from a friend...

    At the same LFS they have what is labeled spotted silver dollars. Are these perhaps juvenile S Natteri?

    image-2642666657.jpg

    Stunning fish, must admit.

    image-2642666657.jpg
     
  17. <<Nemo>>

    <<Nemo>>

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2011
    Messages:
    359
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Somerset West, Helderberg
    Those are actually spotted silver dollors and not Pacu's.. Search them on the internet..
     
  18. <<Nemo>>

    <<Nemo>>

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2011
    Messages:
    359
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Somerset West, Helderberg
    Sorry, misunderstood your post. Mods please delete both my posts.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Illegal Fish Forum Date
importing killifish eggs? legal/illegal? General Discussions May 13, 2016
Illegal selling of turtles General Discussions Aug 20, 2015
Illegal Red Shrimp..."Busted" General Discussions Aug 30, 2009
Dr Says Deworm Your Fish Jungle Aquatics Jul 7, 2026
Your Betta Fish Has Seen Things. It's Time to Do Better Jungle Aquatics May 3, 2026
Looking for killifish General Fish Discussions Apr 21, 2026
Fish breeders Gauteng New members Apr 4, 2026

Share This Page