Identification needed

Discussion in 'Algae' started by MItchell, Feb 1, 2011.

  1. MItchell

    MItchell

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2011
    Messages:
    206
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    East London
    hello,

    I had a tank with this algae problem, actually not sure if its algae.
    These brown hollow branches start forming just below water mark and spread quickly, appearing all over the tank in a matter of days. They attach tightly to glass, plastic, sponge. etc. and are very tough to scrape off. Its transparent with small round black "spores" in the branches, I believe these act as seeds to spread it. I got rid of it by scrubbing down the tank.

    I was wondering how I could prevent it from re-appearing?

    Thanks,
    Mitch
     
  2. Guest




  3. Cheetah

    Cheetah Retired moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    Messages:
    2,715
    Likes Received:
    124
    Location:
    Kimberley ( Northern Cape)
    My Guess is that you have a tank invested with Hydra...... Not good to have in a fry tank, but I've heard that some ppl actually like to have these in their tanks..... They are quite smelly little beings..... In my experience, you got rid of them in the only way I know.... scrubbing the tank (allthough there are some fish that will eat Hydra)..... Also in my opinion Mitch..... I have only found them in tanks where I do not do my fair share of water changes...... but could probably be some other source as well.
     
  4. OP
    MItchell

    MItchell

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2011
    Messages:
    206
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    East London
    I looked at some pics on the web, Mine is not the same. Mine grows along the glass, at max it might be protruding 1mm fromm the glass.
     
  5. Cheetah

    Cheetah Retired moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    Messages:
    2,715
    Likes Received:
    124
    Location:
    Kimberley ( Northern Cape)
    Exactly as you describe it!.... that is Hydra.... I've also Googled images of it, but what they show there is microscoped multi magnifications of it..... It is a jelly-like substance that clings (very tightly) to the glass forming a network of "veins" on the glass, brownish in colour and protruding about 1mm from the glass..... If you look at them through a strong magnification glass, you can actually see the little Pollypses at the end of each "worm" like branch.....

    Can anyone else be more descriptive, or offer an alternative ID??
     
  6. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    I recall once someone mentioning you connect a 9v battery to the tank somehow to get rid of it... @larch ... your googling skills are required here.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  7. larch

    larch

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2010
    Messages:
    976
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    In my pants.
    So those "spores" you were seeing was most likely them reproducing.

    [​IMG]​

    Picture is magnified though wont look like this to the naked eye. Dwarf and a pink gourami will eat hydra. Some snails will eat them too.
     
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  8. johan008

    johan008

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2009
    Messages:
    685
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    JUKSKEI PARK - RANDBURG
    Mollies will also eat them and from what I hear is that you can't just get rid of them by scrubbing the tank because they live on your plants and your subtrate aswell
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Identification needed Forum Date
Identification help needed General Discussions May 27, 2020
identification needed. Community Tanks Oct 28, 2013
Identification needed Cichlids Jun 1, 2011
Disease Identification Help Please Diseases Mar 4, 2022
Plant/moss Identification Aquatic plants Aug 6, 2021
Help with disease Identification Diseases Jan 5, 2021
Worm/ Leech Identification ID Needed Nov 20, 2020

Share This Page