ID Shark help.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by CharlieB, Jan 15, 2012.

  1. CharlieB

    CharlieB

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2011
    Messages:
    217
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Salt Rock, KZN
    First off please dont lecture me on ID sharks as yes I was new to the hobby, live and learn etc etc. Sadly I do have two of them tho, very small still.

    The problem I have is the smaller one keeps swimming on the surface like he is to boyant and has to almost force swim below the water. I have also noticed when I first got them they would go crazy for flakes now I hardley ever see them eat but they still young! Biggest one is maybe 5 cm. Ive tried researching bloat and swim bladder and heard flakes could cause fish to float but was just wondering if anyone has any ideas what the prob could be and what I should feed them if not flakes. The bigger shark is fine and looks very healthy tho I dont see him eat either. Dunno if he eats the bottom pellets when I turn the lights out.

    Thanks guys and gals.

    IMAG0115.jpg

    IMAG0115.jpg
     
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  2. Guest




  3. gdt78

    gdt78

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2011
    Messages:
    620
    Likes Received:
    5
    Location:
    Jhb - East rand
    It looks like a Pangasius to me. Right @Willem ?

    If I'm correct, then you should know that they get very big.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  4. OP
    CharlieB

    CharlieB

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2011
    Messages:
    217
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Salt Rock, KZN
    as far as I am aware a Pangasius is an ID Shark. Please feel free to correct me on that though as I may have my facts wrong.
     
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  5. Firefly

    Firefly Pleco

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2010
    Messages:
    2,333
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    East London
    Try feed bloodworm, not a staple diet of flakes. Bloodworm every third day or even a feeder fish like a white cloud.
    And yes, it's a pangasius.
    @gdt78 in your defense, I also thought this was a shark identification.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  6. OP
    CharlieB

    CharlieB

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2011
    Messages:
    217
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Salt Rock, KZN
    @Firefly. Thank you for your help. I will deffinately try this. I bought some brine shrimp but they not interested in that either.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  7. DarylA

    DarylA

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2010
    Messages:
    502
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Kempton Park
    @CharlieB That Pangasius has a huge stomache as if it has just scoffed itself!

    Am I correct in saying that you have not seen the fish eat for a while? Perhaps it is constipated.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  8. OP
    CharlieB

    CharlieB

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2011
    Messages:
    217
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Salt Rock, KZN
    Sorry I just clicked what you guys mean! I should have written Iridescent shark in stead of ID. apologies for that :embarrest:
     
  9. mxz

    mxz

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2010
    Messages:
    508
    Likes Received:
    35
    Location:
    Cape Town
    From what you have described it sounds like a swim bladder problem.
     
  10. Willem

    Willem High fin Pangasius

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2011
    Messages:
    755
    Likes Received:
    15
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Yip that one looks like a balloon try and feed it some boiled peas or one that acts as a laxative or try some baby marrow
    soffend in boiling water for a couple of seconds

    @gdt78 I went to pic up a mate for sharky yesterday very battered and brused and blind in the one eye already got him in the meds and his looking better all ready
     
  11. gdt78

    gdt78

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2011
    Messages:
    620
    Likes Received:
    5
    Location:
    Jhb - East rand
    Good job Willem, Cant wait for that new tank of yours to be build ...
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Shark help Forum Date
Bala Shark Died, Why...?? Please Help General Discussions Aug 22, 2011
Rainbow shark being difficult - Need HELP Beginner Discussions Jul 17, 2010
Freebie: Rainbow Shark Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jul 4, 2026
Freebie: large silver dollar and 2 large bala sharks Wanted/Swop/Freebies May 20, 2023
Freebie: iridescent sharks Centurion Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jan 4, 2022
Freebie: Hi fin shark JHB Wanted/Swop/Freebies Mar 8, 2021
RSS Feed Bala Shark Care Guide RSS Feeds Feb 22, 2021

Share This Page