I was almost a dad only for 24hrs - Now all Gone

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by dangerousd, Jan 28, 2011.

  1. dangerousd

    dangerousd

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2010
    Messages:
    248
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    CAPE TOWN - HOUT BAY
    Hmmm ... So Guido spotted these eggs on the pipe yesterday, Mom and Dad seemed to be loking after them well ...

    At about 11 last night eggs looked good - Now this morning ALL gone

    First time them have spawned- is this natural? for all the eggs to go
    What is the best way to play this - I think they will spwan again

    IMG_5307.jpgIMG_5309.jpg


    If you want to see the take and fish check it out here : http://www.tropicalaquarium.co.za/showthread.php?5039-New-Very-Large-Tank-)/page3&highlight=large

    CURRENTLY in the tank...

    15 Giant Danios
    10 Red Line torpedo barbs
    12 Congo Tetras
    6 Angels (scalare I hope)
    30 Red Eye Congo Tetras
    5 Clown Loaches
    4 Blue Ram
    1 Butterfly Cichlid
    2 Upside down catfish
    1 Raphael Catfish
    10 Golden Apple Snails

    OH ja and - 1 lemon Algae Eater

    IMG_5307.jpg

    IMG_5309.jpg
     
  2. Guest




  3. jedigenie

    jedigenie

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2010
    Messages:
    482
    Likes Received:
    14
    Location:
    Port Elizabeth
    Those angels are amazing, love the red eye wild caught look.

    Really sory for the loss but it might be a good sign for things to come. Unfortunately most of your tank inhabitants could have been responsible for eating the eggs. Might be time to look at setting up a breeding tank?

    Good luck
     
  4. OP
    dangerousd

    dangerousd

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2010
    Messages:
    248
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    CAPE TOWN - HOUT BAY
    I think you right about the tank inhabitants - red line and giant danios.... Hmmmm
     
  5. Equinoxe

    Equinoxe

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2010
    Messages:
    45
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Mozambique
    Hi, it is better you place them in a seperate breeding thank. Sometime they do eat their own eggs if they are stressed. I was lucky to have some fry out from my comunity tank without having to take the pair out... I had to leave a small bulb on for 24 hrs. Which is not recomended. After which I build a seperate tank and once they start they don't stop and you will have plenty of them.
     
  6. OP
    dangerousd

    dangerousd

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2010
    Messages:
    248
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    CAPE TOWN - HOUT BAY
    I see.. thask for the info

    Why the light on for 24hrs ? Someone else also told me to do this
     
  7. A Bauer

    A Bauer Guest

    So that the angels can watch over their eggs, other wise the nightshift fish sneak in and eat them.
     
  8. freerider

    freerider

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2010
    Messages:
    102
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Darklands - CPT
    I've had the same problems with my rams and their eggs. I suspect the cories and the BN's have been eating the eggs while the lights are out.
     
  9. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    Any eggs in a community tank stand pretty much zero chance. If you want them to spawn and raise their fry, put them into their own tank. It sometimes takes a few times before they realise that by eating the eggs, they not producing fry. But they should eventually get it right.
     
  10. OP
    dangerousd

    dangerousd

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2010
    Messages:
    248
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    CAPE TOWN - HOUT BAY
    NOTED - read a bit about this and you 100% right... So LUCKLY my angels laid more eggs and EVEN more luck they were laid on the cleaning magnet so super easy to remove....

    Now I have them in a hatching aquarium just by themselves - HOPEFULLY might see some babies tomorrow :)
     
  11. Equinoxe

    Equinoxe

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2010
    Messages:
    45
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Mozambique
  12. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    Sorry to be the bearer of more (possibly sad) news. The parents usually pass over the eggs constantly and fan them with their fins. This keeps any fungus and parasites at bay. If you get this message in time, maybe put an airstone under the magnetic cleaner... I have heard of people successfully hatching eggs this way, however the success rate is extremely minimal. Gavin and Zeegal use to frequent out forum a while back... they were one of the best angel breeders I have met to date, and they didn't even try doing it in an "incubation" tank. (i.e. away from the parents).
     
  13. Equinoxe

    Equinoxe

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2010
    Messages:
    45
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Mozambique
    Try to put some methylene blue for the fungus and as Zoom sugested you need to put an air stone to ventilate the eggs. Should come ok. I usually do this whenever the parents eat the eggs. Also may I suggest that if you see that there are some white eggs or non fertilized eggs, i.e they are not transparent, take a pipette and suck them away, else they will rot and fungus will attact the rest of the eggs.
     
  14. OP
    dangerousd

    dangerousd

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2010
    Messages:
    248
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    CAPE TOWN - HOUT BAY
    Thanks for the advice guys.... I actually did loads of reading on this

    I had them in the hatching aquarium

    Meth Blue in the water
    Air Stone Under the Eggs
    Small sponge filter going
    Water was same temp / and same php as big tank (took the water from the big tank)

    and THEN disaster struck... the bloody side table that the hatching aquarium was sitting on gave way... Don't think there are any survivors

    BUT I think I'm going to put the angelfish pair in a seperate tank and let them do their thing
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - almost 24hrs Gone Forum Date
Mobile app almost unusable with adds cluttering the page. Website Suggestions, Support and Feedback Jan 18, 2025
Posted in classifieds almost a week ago Website Suggestions, Support and Feedback Oct 10, 2024
Its almost ready!!!! Planted Tanks Aug 24, 2020
Seachem Tidal Hang On Filters Almost Here !! Dorry Pets Feb 2, 2017
Breeding room almost finished. General Images Jun 23, 2016
Discus breeding, almost there Breeding Aug 24, 2015
Need an ID (Almost looks like a frontosa) ID Needed Mar 17, 2014

Share This Page