I believe I can fly.....I believe I can touch the sky....R.I.P

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Dinky, Aug 29, 2013.

  1. Dinky

    Dinky

    Joined:
    May 21, 2013
    Messages:
    1,685
    Likes Received:
    21
    Location:
    Pretoria
    3 of my fish managed to make bokkoms of themselves tonight.

    Any ideas what to do with an open tank and jumping fish?

    Thought about getting a glass sheet but on the sides the light's clips will be in the way and at the back the hob filter.

    This is the light I've got

    [​IMG]
     
  2. Guest




  3. aquadementia

    aquadementia

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2012
    Messages:
    117
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Pretoria East
    sorry to hear that Dinky!!

    p.s. I cant respond your pm your inbox is full :p
     
  4. ernstb

    ernstb Loach

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2010
    Messages:
    360
    Likes Received:
    5
    I bought a plexi glass sheet and had it cut to size. Then i cut out a corner where the filter pipes come is. Works a charm


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
     
  5. eros111

    eros111

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2012
    Messages:
    1,012
    Likes Received:
    166
    Location:
    Midrand, Johannesburg
    Sheets of cling wrap - not sure what size the tank is - but cling wrap will help in the meantime
     
  6. ATV

    ATV

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2013
    Messages:
    168
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Cape Town
    +1 for perpex cover. Its light, not too expensive and most places that sell it will cut it to your specifications
     
  7. Ray Port Elizabeth

    Ray Port Elizabeth

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2013
    Messages:
    371
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Port Elizabeth
    +2 for Perspex, you can even drill small wholes to improve air circulation and it is much more visually appealing than egg crate that some use. on the other hand if you look past the lack of aesthetic appeal egg crate can be great too because it allows max aeration and it won't reflect away as much light as the Perspex would, also it should be more warp resistant than Perspex, as long as the fish that are jumping out cant's fit trough the wholes of the egg crate. have you established what the reason is for the leaping fish? wild caught fish? fighting? did they get a fright? water quality? (although a doubt the last one)
     
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  8. top dog

    top dog

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2012
    Messages:
    1,765
    Likes Received:
    888
    Location:
    JHB Greenstone
    leaping fish in my experience normally happens to escape, so work out who is trying to eat them or who is the bully in the tank and problem solved
     
  9. OP
    Dinky

    Dinky

    Joined:
    May 21, 2013
    Messages:
    1,685
    Likes Received:
    21
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Thanx everyone.

    I suspect bugs to be the reason for the jumping fish. I noticed the little thing flying around the light and presumed it will become my tetra's snack (vicious little fellas) but I never imagined my fish would jump out of the tank after it!

    @eros111 - thanks for the idea. I didn't have cling wrap but found a roll of bubble wrap.

    @ernstb - Where would I get perspex from, would Builder's do? @Ray Port Elizabeth - I will remember to (have someone else) drill me some wholes

    @top dog - my Head and Tail light tetra are about the most vicious fish I've got in the tank, but they are so blooming fast no other fish would get a change to jump to get away from them. Found two of them in biltong condition on the floor. After doing a head count I found a sunburst wag platy missing and ended up locating it about two meters away from the tank under the table! I do however have another platy that seems to be having pms, I will keep an eye on her...maybe just maybe she's responsible.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  10. Ebrahim

    Ebrahim

    Joined:
    May 22, 2012
    Messages:
    586
    Likes Received:
    31
    Location:
    Mitchell's Plain, Cape Town
    Hey guys. If anybody know of a place in Cape Town where I can buy perspex at a cheap price. Last I quote for 2m X 600 X 6mm thick = R 1200. thats a year ago. Looking for some to cover my 3m monster.
     
  11. OP
    Dinky

    Dinky

    Joined:
    May 21, 2013
    Messages:
    1,685
    Likes Received:
    21
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  12. dash

    dash

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2013
    Messages:
    3,194
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Durban
    hi you can also just lower your water level for now.
     
  13. Zeiphex

    Zeiphex Axolotl

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2011
    Messages:
    440
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Stellenbosch
    Well for now I'd throw a towel over the tank - it might not look super attractive but it will keep them from jumping out. I've had to do things like that before.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - believe believe touch Forum Date
Gekkie my GG believe in payback Labyrinth Fish Sep 17, 2019
Many wont believe what I have finally done! Members Systems Jun 7, 2015
You will not believe this... General Discussions Feb 10, 2015
New to the forum, not new to hobby, can not believe only now finding this forum... New members Aug 3, 2014
‘Freshwater Killer Whales’ must SEE TO BELIEVE General Off-Topic chat Jan 10, 2013
Cant believe General Off-Topic chat Nov 26, 2011

Share This Page