Hydroton

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Singhms, Jun 12, 2011.

  1. f-fish

    f-fish #unspecified

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,642
    Likes Received:
    2,260
    Location:
    JHB - Randburg
    Finally found some aquaclay .... but is does seem like it will have the same issues that I have had in the past with hydroton. - a floating mass on the surface.

    Will let is sit, see if it drops.

    aquaclaysmall.jpg


    Later Ferdie

    aquaclaysmall.jpg
     
  2. Guest




  3. JCL

    JCL

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2013
    Messages:
    452
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Cape Town
    As you have recently acquired it, you should, unlike all other peeps in this thread so far, be able to remember how much you paid for it? -LOL
     
  4. f-fish

    f-fish #unspecified

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,642
    Likes Received:
    2,260
    Location:
    JHB - Randburg
    He he .. actually I think this was cheaper than my first bag I ever bought a few years back. Seem to think that was 45/l (talking about the proper german baked hard round pellet - don't think that mine exists any more that mined that specific clay).

    Got it from Green Thumb Hydroton - Greenthumb Hydroponics R250 for 25l.

    This stuff is not as heavy as the shop assistant made it out to be .. so using it as a sole replacement as an inert substrate with a CEG better than silica will have some challenges. I will probably want to try the red - when they get stock, (this is "black" - ah ok) it is a bit larger and might work OK and might sink better. If I am going to end up capping it ...

    After a few hours of soaking it is probably a < 5% float - so not all that bad, the expanded shale I played with a few month back still to this day has a few that stay floating.

    sub01.jpg

    Later Ferdie

    sub01.jpg
     
  5. f-fish

    f-fish #unspecified

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,642
    Likes Received:
    2,260
    Location:
    JHB - Randburg
    For some contrast I added some the a 4ft tank... as expected it is very fluid.

    loose01.jpg

    Fish can easily disturb this substrate.

    loose02.jpg

    Actually counting on the fish movement to clean things up and create a "natural" sedimentation pile on the left.

    loose03.jpg

    Hopping the floaters will drop at some point.

    Good thing I have a filter sponge on that eheim intake.

    Later Ferdie

    loose01.jpg

    loose02.jpg

    loose03.jpg
     
  6. Linxie

    Linxie

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2009
    Messages:
    1,821
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Port Elizabeth, South Africa
  7. Chongkie

    Chongkie

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2013
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Pietermaritzburg
    Ferdie, I was also looking at the Hayclay black, thinking it is very similar to aquasoil. It seems like it is very light and floats. but the ones that are at the bottom, do they stay at the bottom?
     

Recent Posts

Share This Page