Hydra - anyone used Panacur?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by madfishbreeder, Aug 26, 2011.

  1. madfishbreeder

    madfishbreeder

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2011
    Messages:
    101
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Amanzimtoti
    Hi all,

    I have hydra that have popped up all over my betta baby tank, I've been looking here and on international forums, going to try the electrocution method - sounds :cool:

    I was just wondering though, on a lot of international forums they talk about Panacur granules, here I only have access to Panacur liquid (livestock dewormer), was wondering if anyone has tried this? Not sure what the other constituents are that keeps it in suspension and whether they would harm fish? Ideas? Opinions? Panacur granules are available but in tubs of kilo's, definitely not buying that for the sake of a few granules per tank!

    Panacur liquid: fenbendazole 5% (50mg/ml) liquid.

    Lisa
     
  2. Guest




  3. Fub4r

    Fub4r Glaukos

    Joined:
    May 14, 2011
    Messages:
    176
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Western Cape
    Hey, I used Jungle Buddies Parasite Clear, works great and uses praziquantal (check spelling) which is safer according to most sites.

    It was in a guppy breeder tank with babies.
     
  4. Anine

    Anine

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2011
    Messages:
    421
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Pretoria
    @Fub4r, THANK YOU!! I was looking all over for praziquantel a few weeks ago, the vets all looked at me strangely when I said it was for tropical fish :)
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  5. jedigenie

    jedigenie

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2010
    Messages:
    482
    Likes Received:
    14
    Location:
    Port Elizabeth
    Hi Lisa

    Hydra often times comes along with over feeding live foods so the first step is to cut down on feeding, next step is to use a tip I learnt from @Marco.
    Tie a small airtube to a toothbrush and use it to scrub off the hydra. Takes a bit of practice to get the placement of the tube right but you will find a spot that works for you. Do this twice daily and you will have taken care of the problem without fussing about chemicals while also doing more water changes, pure win for your fry :)

    HTH
    Regards
    Eugene
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  6. Fub4r

    Fub4r Glaukos

    Joined:
    May 14, 2011
    Messages:
    176
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Western Cape
    No worries, the dog and cat deworming stuff does work but does not dissolve to well in the water and it is a mission to apply. The jungle buddies just get dropped in and fizz away :)
     
  7. Fub4r

    Fub4r Glaukos

    Joined:
    May 14, 2011
    Messages:
    176
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Western Cape
    @jedigenie, I did try that route and I am sure it works for some. However I had a very bad outbreak and tried the not feeding but nothing seemed to work, had us puzzling what to do as they would dissapear for a few days then just come right back.

    I took a airline tube and slid a razor blade in the middle, slid the blade along the glass using the tube as a lever, as it scraped them off it would suck up the hydra.

    Eventually I gave in and medicated, have not seen another hydra since.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  8. azurekoi

    azurekoi Loaches & Gobies

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2010
    Messages:
    4,077
    Likes Received:
    61
    Location:
    Pretoria
    9Volt battery.... connect 2 copper wires to the poles and dip those in tank... Leave half an hour - Hydra gone!.. Fish will be ok as they are not earthed...QED
     
  9. Fub4r

    Fub4r Glaukos

    Joined:
    May 14, 2011
    Messages:
    176
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Western Cape
    I did try the 9v battery trick, everyone was saying that works but I had no luck. Does that not also run the risk of getting copper in your water and that could be worse than medicating?
     
  10. OP
    madfishbreeder

    madfishbreeder

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2011
    Messages:
    101
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Amanzimtoti
    Ok am going to try the battery method, if it fails will try panacur as I have access to it. Will probably wait until babies are big enough to move out if I try meds tho. Thanks all!Lisa
     
  11. Marco

    Marco Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    May 24, 2010
    Messages:
    2,015
    Likes Received:
    287
    Location:
    Waverley Pretoria
    Hi @madfishbreeder

    Hydra is a result of over-feeding and organic matter in the tank. It would be wise to up your cleaning (tank bottom) and water changes a bit, maybe 2 x a day with wiping sides and bottom daily. I would NOT use tank buddies on a fry tank, and I'd also not use Panacur. Prazi is very safe but you should get a good a good product. Bitrizide is probably the best, but not all Chemists are willing to give it without a prescription, and then its also very expensive (R50 to R60 per 600mg tablet).

    Battery I have never tried, but I trust @azurekoi and doubt any side effect. Key though. . .focus on prevention, increase water management!

    Rgds

    Marco
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  12. azurekoi

    azurekoi Loaches & Gobies

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2010
    Messages:
    4,077
    Likes Received:
    61
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Thanx @Marco.... Remember to expose a good 3 to 4 cm of the wiring from it's insulatoin... too short have had the effect of not getting rid of them for me...also use a fresh battery, not the one thats been lying at the bottom of your cupboard... The TDS of tnk also important... Extremely soft water,this treatment wont work...
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2011
  13. OP
    madfishbreeder

    madfishbreeder

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2011
    Messages:
    101
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Amanzimtoti
    I know, I know, naughty me - let fish breed in tank with gravel plants etc, too many "catchment areas" for excess food - *flog self*. I realised that was the issue to start with, just wondering how to kill off the buggers now. Thanks again to marco + azurekoi, will post results of "battery test", thanks also to Fub4r for the praziquantel idea - prazifen pet dewormer is a dissolvable tablet so that might be safer than panacur if it's only praziquantel in there. I'll probably remove fish before medicating if it comes to that. Lisa
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Hydra anyone used Forum Date
Hydra Diseases Aug 26, 2021
Hydra Infestation Planted Tanks Jan 7, 2021
Wanted: Hydra leds 26 hd Wanted/Swop/Freebies Mar 17, 2020
Hydra in my 15liter shrimp tank Species Tanks Jun 23, 2017
Hydra? General Discussions Feb 1, 2014
Electrocuting Hydra General Discussions Dec 12, 2013
Hydra? How do I get rid of it? Algae Jul 19, 2012

Share This Page