How to transport fish/plants

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by TankMaster, Oct 21, 2010.

  1. TankMaster

    TankMaster Apistogramma

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    Messages:
    1,756
    Likes Received:
    44
    Location:
    Narnia
    Anyone have any information about transporting fish/plants with Time Freight and flying with SAA?

    What are the rates these days? What is the charge per kg?

    Who do I speak to?

    How does one correctly package fish?

    What are the risks involved?

    I need to get some of my fish/moss to a relative in JHB so advice needed . . .

    Which option is more economical? Road or air freight?

    TM
     
  2. Guest




  3. Vis

    Vis Gerhard

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2009
    Messages:
    6,130
    Likes Received:
    132
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    Plants, like moss is easy,cheap and fast with the post office speed services.

    Talk to @Dolphin about air freight though.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  4. OP
    TankMaster

    TankMaster Apistogramma

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    Messages:
    1,756
    Likes Received:
    44
    Location:
    Narnia
    Well, I was hoping that this thread would be a discussion so others can learn as well . . . but it would be nice to know the details behind air freight and road freight.

    TM
     
  5. azurekoi

    azurekoi Loaches & Gobies

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2010
    Messages:
    4,077
    Likes Received:
    61
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Have been using Express Air Services for years - these guys are used to handling fish and not to pricey(all depends on weight,flight times,urgency and amount of boxes sent...

    Other option with smaller fish is to use the post office's overnight counter to counter service....2kg parcel cost me R71.00 the other day - fish packed individualy in bags with oxygen and placed in small styrofoam container....Been doing it for years like this between mates and myself,but not allways the safest way --> have had toal losses,but few and far between --> Good to get fish to those far flung little places that dont have a airport close by....
     
  6. riyadh

    riyadh

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2010
    Messages:
    363
    Likes Received:
    5
    Location:
    Cape Town, Cape Town
    I would definately use air freight, it is alot quicker, therefore fish will be in bags for less time
     
  7. Gareth

    Gareth Angel Freak

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2009
    Messages:
    2,339
    Likes Received:
    16
    Location:
    Potchefstroom
    I was going to use Time fright to get a fish sent to Durban from Potch.
    I phone them up and it would have cost me R200 for 10kg and I had to take it to the place just before they leave and the person who collects has to collect it at there branch as well. but they do not guarantee that the fish will survive the trip and so on.
    I never went through with this due to the risk.
     
  8. OP
    TankMaster

    TankMaster Apistogramma

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    Messages:
    1,756
    Likes Received:
    44
    Location:
    Narnia
    Express Air Services sounds good.

    How do I package fish?
     
  9. Franssny

    Franssny

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2010
    Messages:
    149
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Mother City
    Used Express , no problems. TM just tape the corners of the bags so they are rounded, wrap everything in newspaper and place in box (polistyrene would be best). Mark LIVE FISH (they will also put on stickers)
     
  10. OP
    TankMaster

    TankMaster Apistogramma

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    Messages:
    1,756
    Likes Received:
    44
    Location:
    Narnia
    Yeah. .

    Thanks (Still drooling over those tanks you make bro) . . .

    I emailed the Durban regional manager. Hopefully she can explain the process and procedure.

    Where do I get the boxes from . .

    TM
     
  11. Franssny

    Franssny

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2010
    Messages:
    149
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Mother City
     
  12. fishcrazy

    fishcrazy

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2009
    Messages:
    522
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Durban
    I have packed discus 1 per bag(used koi bags)apprx 7-8cm and time freight pickd up in the afternoon and my buddy pickd the next mornin from the depot around 9:00 or so..............NO problem twas the first time I packd for overnyt...I did not use and oxygen gas used the tablets though and added some aquaplus conditioner and just grabbed the bag and rubberbanded it. Twas my experience
     
  13. Cheetah

    Cheetah Retired moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    Messages:
    2,715
    Likes Received:
    124
    Location:
    Kimberley ( Northern Cape)
    Some 3 or 4 months ago, I moved house with (approximately) 12,000 fish.... I think, I lost one Guppy female..... an ornament in the tank fell on her in transit... I merely removed the water in all of my tanks (and ponds) to a depth of about 3".... and transported them like that. This trip only took about 3 or (for some tanks) 4 hours, but when I moved from Welkom to Lime Acres..... I did the same thing and this took close on 20 hours before unloading. No problem.

    When I buy fish & know I have to travel a long distance, I insist that the pet store puts very little water in the plastic bags and fill the rest with O2.... and please, no oxygen tablets or any other additives...... Has allways worked for me.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - transport fish plants Forum Date
Transporting fish via courier General Fish Discussions May 20, 2020
fish transport needed General Discussions Mar 28, 2016
Transporting Big Fish or large quantity's General Discussions Nov 30, 2013
Moving - how to transport the kids (fish) Beginner Discussions Nov 21, 2013
transporting fish on a plane... General Discussions Feb 7, 2013
Transporting fish for hours by car General Discussions Sep 10, 2012
Transporting fish as carry-on luggage General Discussions May 7, 2012

Share This Page