How to Deworm/ Deflagellate your Discus

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by dash, Jun 8, 2013.

  1. dash

    dash

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2013
    Messages:
    3,194
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Durban
    Hi all.
    Has any one done this before with young discus? If so, please give me an explanation as to what to get and how to use if I in fact do need to do it. Discus are around 5 to 6 cm I guess.

    They eat fine but normally wait for food to come down before going for it.
     
  2. Guest




  3. nicolaas

    nicolaas

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2013
    Messages:
    832
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Just outside of Tzaneen
    I think you can use Lavamisole hidrochloride I used it on my angels,pleco,SD,ghost knife,guppys and more.
     
  4. OP
    dash

    dash

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2013
    Messages:
    3,194
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Durban
    How did you use it.
     
  5. jabula 7749

    jabula 7749 jabula

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2011
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    70
    Location:
    port elizabeth
    7mg metronidazole per liter
    After 3days,do 50% water change,and redose with same dosis!
    With that I feed tetra bits and soke their food in strong metro dose for 5 min before feeding!400mg tablet in 30 ml low warm water until disolve add tetra bits 5min later feed.that way meds are working inside and out!small tetras dont like strong metro in food,so watch out!
     
  6. nicolaas

    nicolaas

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2013
    Messages:
    832
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Just outside of Tzaneen
    @dash I dosed 5ml per 37liters, then do a 70% wc 2 days later and dose the same, then do a 90% wc after 2 days and then you are worm free.
    You can get it from ntk(land mark) the brand I used is Tramisol
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  7. OP
    dash

    dash

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2013
    Messages:
    3,194
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Durban
    Thanks guys.

    I will look in to it. Very nervous about using any products in the tank. How safe is it for the fish?
     
  8. nicolaas

    nicolaas

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2013
    Messages:
    832
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Just outside of Tzaneen
    mattie likes this.
  9. Biggles

    Biggles

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2013
    Messages:
    223
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Cape Town Parow
    Metronidazole is the stuff to use at the dosage above and that routine. I would be careful about feeding the stuff to them. The water dosage work by itself. Don't add any other meds. I have just treated my discus and they appear cured.

    Raise tank temp to 33. If other tank mates can handle that. Note that you will need plenty of oxygenation at that temp.
     
  10. OP
    dash

    dash

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2013
    Messages:
    3,194
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Durban
    Hi so if I use the metro I don't have to use the other stuff? Sorry for all questions
     
  11. mattie

    mattie

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2010
    Messages:
    786
    Likes Received:
    44
    Location:
    Cape Town
  12. Biggles

    Biggles

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2013
    Messages:
    223
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Cape Town Parow
    If you do a search for metronidazole you will get the collective wisdom of the site regarding its use. It was recomended to me by one of the formost authorities on discus and it did the trick. With some dramas because of my own fault.
     
  13. OP
    dash

    dash

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2013
    Messages:
    3,194
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Durban
    Thanks all
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Deworm Deflagellate Discus Forum Date
Dr Says Deworm Your Fish Jungle Aquatics Jul 7, 2026
Dewormer? Your thoughts please Beginner Discussions Jun 27, 2020
Deworming tetras Diseases Jun 19, 2015
FB: Pedigree toypom puppy Teacup size femaleInoc. And dewormed 10weeks oldR2800 Jungle Aquatics Dec 11, 2014
Min.Toypom puppy for sale, female, dewormed and vaccinated (R2500) 079-649-6001 Jungle Aquatics Oct 21, 2013
Deworming medications and antibiotics General Discussions Jul 15, 2013
Deworm 4 discus fish General Discussions Feb 28, 2012

Share This Page