How to combat snails

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Henkie, Oct 31, 2012.

  1. f-fish

    f-fish #unspecified

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,642
    Likes Received:
    2,260
    Location:
    JHB - Randburg
    Depends on the type of snail ... if it was trumpet (AFAIK they do not eat live plants) this works for me ... Trumpet Snail Trap

    But I have also seen the ISTA Snail Trap in our LFS's - stock arrived a few weeks back .. I have seen them for under R100 .. might work for you if you really have a snail problem.

    See google images for ISTA Snail Trap

    later ferdie
     
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  2. Guest




  3. OP
    Henkie

    Henkie

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2011
    Messages:
    89
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Port Elizabeth
    I have ramshorns snails... Thank ferdie, will have a look at the trap.

    I really wont mind to cycle the tank again if that means that I will be snail free
     
  4. Ryno

    Ryno Kenaal baber

    Joined:
    May 19, 2012
    Messages:
    4,022
    Likes Received:
    50
    Location:
    Pretoria
    I also have loads of ramshorns. My plants are perfect with them
     
  5. f-fish

    f-fish #unspecified

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,642
    Likes Received:
    2,260
    Location:
    JHB - Randburg
    not sure that will help unless you intend to kill all eggs with bleach or letting everything dry out? Rather find a management process that works for you ... snails are a given if you get plants from an LFS ... manage the problem.
     
  6. Rico

    Rico Oh Yeah

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2012
    Messages:
    80
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Cape Town
    @Henkie


    I have seen Snail traps at LPS but they hard to find, you can try the local pet shops close to you and maybe see if they can order from their supplier. or you can try the DIY snail traps, i did one with a pnp plastic tray and it did the job... after a week it was filled with the little dudes! check this links out:

    Shrimp trap
    DIY Snail Trap
     
  7. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    Most snails don't destroy plants, and Ramshorns are definitely plant friendly. I suspect your plants have nutrient deficiency in the tank rather than the snails.
     
  8. doug

    doug

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2011
    Messages:
    355
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    kzn
    i put zebra loaches in my display. was pulling 25 snails a day, not even a dent! now i see one or two a week
    cheers doug
     
  9. OP
    Henkie

    Henkie

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2011
    Messages:
    89
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Port Elizabeth
    Thanks for all the input guys!
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - combat snails Forum Date
Combating algae by reducing light times Algae Jan 28, 2017
Wanted: Blue/Pink Ramshorn Snails Wanted/Swop/Freebies Dec 10, 2025
Wanted: Malaysian Trumpet Snails Wanted/Swop/Freebies Oct 23, 2025
Nerite snails, worth the hype? General Discussions Jun 30, 2025
Wanted: Bladder/Ramshorn Snails Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jun 6, 2025
Wanted: wanted 9 onion red nerite snails Wanted/Swop/Freebies May 21, 2025
Wanted: Looking for Rabbit snails near Edenvale Wanted/Swop/Freebies Feb 28, 2024

Share This Page