How to combat snails

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Henkie, Oct 31, 2012.

  1. Henkie

    Henkie

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2011
    Messages:
    89
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Port Elizabeth
    Hi Guys.

    I am having a lot of trouble with snails in my tank. My plants are really taking a knock.
    I try and remove them manually but they just keep popping up!
    Can anyone help me?

    Thanks so long
     
  2. Guest




  3. DewaldC

    DewaldC Magikarp

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2012
    Messages:
    1,867
    Likes Received:
    28
    Location:
    Roodepoort
    Mostly what people see are their little snails eating leaves which are nearly dead.
    Build a snail trap.:idea:
     
  4. byronb

    byronb

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2011
    Messages:
    500
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    jhb / dowerglen
    I got two clown loaches , heavily planted and had lots of snails.. now I see maybe one or two every now and then , but pretty much eradicated..
     
  5. Bazil

    Bazil Bazil

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2012
    Messages:
    1,593
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Sasolburg
    Hey @Henkie, An old trick you can try is some lettuce. Put it in the tank at night time just before you put the lights off. The snails should go for the lettuce during the night. In the morning you can throw out the lettuce (snails and all) and put new lettuce in at night again. This is not a quick fix method though.

    Or you can get yourself some Clown loaches. They destroy snails, but they also uproot plants from time to time and they are quite expensive.

    The other alternative you can try, and I left this one for last because the first two will be the safest: get some snail rid meds.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  6. oupoot

    oupoot

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2012
    Messages:
    1,119
    Likes Received:
    341
    Location:
    Randburg
    I use the snail kill from daro for this problem, it does the job, just watch out for a OD of the stuff as it will kill your fish and this is not save if you have any other shell type fish like crayfish of shrimps in your tank, else go for clown loaches, the one LFS by me swears by them for snail removal...
     
  7. Ryno

    Ryno Kenaal baber

    Joined:
    May 19, 2012
    Messages:
    4,022
    Likes Received:
    50
    Location:
    Pretoria
    also zebra loaches work great. ja try and stay away from the meds that kills them. dead snail is tank = huge amonia spikes
     
    Bazil likes this.
  8. DewaldC

    DewaldC Magikarp

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2012
    Messages:
    1,867
    Likes Received:
    28
    Location:
    Roodepoort
    Contains copper that's bad for your fish.:goodnight:
     
  9. Firefly

    Firefly Pleco

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2010
    Messages:
    2,333
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    East London
    Zebra loachs word wonders in snail infested tanks.
     
  10. Hawk

    Hawk Clown Fish :-)

    Joined:
    May 25, 2012
    Messages:
    5,147
    Likes Received:
    80
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Or you could leave them as they are there for a reason and actually help your tank.
     
  11. OP
    Henkie

    Henkie

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2011
    Messages:
    89
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Port Elizabeth
    Thanks for all the input guys. I will leave them for a while longer, but it seems as if my plants cannot grow faster then what they are eaten.

    I am not to keen on meds, so I will try the lettuce.
     
  12. Hawk

    Hawk Clown Fish :-)

    Joined:
    May 25, 2012
    Messages:
    5,147
    Likes Received:
    80
    Location:
    Cape Town
    As mentioned by @DewaldC - are you sure they are eating your healthy plants and not dying leaves? I find that I can get rid of most of them with the lettuce trick (they did seem to catch onto this though :cheesy:) but they will multiply like crazy if there is excess food etc lying around.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  13. OP
    Henkie

    Henkie

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2011
    Messages:
    89
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Port Elizabeth
    I reckon this java fern is pretty healthy?
    [​IMG]
     
  14. DewaldC

    DewaldC Magikarp

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2012
    Messages:
    1,867
    Likes Received:
    28
    Location:
    Roodepoort
    Maybe your plant is suffering from a potassium deficiency?.
     
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  15. DewaldC

    DewaldC Magikarp

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2012
    Messages:
    1,867
    Likes Received:
    28
    Location:
    Roodepoort
  16. OP
    Henkie

    Henkie

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2011
    Messages:
    89
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Port Elizabeth
    So did you use that dsd stuff?
     
  17. Rickus

    Rickus

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2010
    Messages:
    645
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Bethlehem
    And Phakistani Loaches ( Yoyo )
     
  18. DewaldC

    DewaldC Magikarp

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2012
    Messages:
    1,867
    Likes Received:
    28
    Location:
    Roodepoort
    Seachem Potassium.
     
  19. OP
    Henkie

    Henkie

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2011
    Messages:
    89
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Port Elizabeth
    Do you reckon if I take everything out of the tank and give it a good scrub/wash it will help as well?
    But I mean like everything even the substrate
     
  20. Wyvren

    Wyvren Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2011
    Messages:
    2,549
    Likes Received:
    21
    If you do that, you will kill off a very important part of your bio system. I wouldnt do that. I am trying the lettuce trick myself since i have MTS in my tank and they are taking over - it just seems that they dont like lettuce so I am actually looking for ways to make a snail trap.
     
  21. OP
    Henkie

    Henkie

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2011
    Messages:
    89
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Port Elizabeth
    I don't have any fish at the moment. The lfs does not have anything note worthy so purchase and I first want to sort out the snails anyway
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - combat snails Forum Date
Combating algae by reducing light times Algae Jan 28, 2017
Wanted: Blue/Pink Ramshorn Snails Wanted/Swop/Freebies Dec 10, 2025
Wanted: Malaysian Trumpet Snails Wanted/Swop/Freebies Oct 23, 2025
Nerite snails, worth the hype? General Discussions Jun 30, 2025
Wanted: Bladder/Ramshorn Snails Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jun 6, 2025
Wanted: wanted 9 onion red nerite snails Wanted/Swop/Freebies May 21, 2025
Wanted: Looking for Rabbit snails near Edenvale Wanted/Swop/Freebies Feb 28, 2024

Share This Page