How much rock?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Jwh, Dec 14, 2014.

  1. Jwh

    Jwh

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2014
    Messages:
    1,737
    Likes Received:
    97
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Hi All,

    I am in the process of setting up a 2m tank, and have some large pieces of rock I would like to add.
    I am worried about the maximum weight, best way to incorporate rock in my tank. From various forums I have seen some beautiful reefs and hard scape, what is the best (safest) way to go about this.
    it is a community tanks, I believe the glass to be 15mm thick. I want to use a silica substrate, happy to go to 50 to 100mm thick, sloping from back to front.

    Advice & suggestion most welcome.
     
  2. Guest




  3. DCWarHound

    DCWarHound

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2013
    Messages:
    1,059
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Pretoria,Sinoville
    Get eggcrate and then firmly place the rock on it (make sure the rock can't move or roll) and then fill in the substrate in the rest of the tank and around the rock.The eggccrate also helps distribute the weight of the rock,just make sure it isn't so big or else the bottom pane will crack.
     
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  4. OP
    Jwh

    Jwh

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2014
    Messages:
    1,737
    Likes Received:
    97
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Thanks Warhound, you perhaps know where to get in PTA/ JNB?
     
  5. DCWarHound

    DCWarHound

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2013
    Messages:
    1,059
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Pretoria,Sinoville
    You could try PlasticWorld or CrazyPlastics ,googling shows that petstop also had some a while back.If @Moolis is still working at petstop then you might have some luck asking him if they still stock it.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  6. OP
    Jwh

    Jwh

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2014
    Messages:
    1,737
    Likes Received:
    97
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Thanks, and I was at crazy plastics this afternoon!, will phone around tomorrow, help much appreciated!
     
  7. Moolis

    Moolis

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2008
    Messages:
    1,441
    Likes Received:
    76
    Location:
    Pet Stop - Gezina Pta.
    We do have stock ;)
     
  8. OP
    Jwh

    Jwh

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2014
    Messages:
    1,737
    Likes Received:
    97
    Location:
    Pretoria
    I know, i got two sheets from you earlier this week :)
     
  9. Moolis

    Moolis

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2008
    Messages:
    1,441
    Likes Received:
    76
    Location:
    Pet Stop - Gezina Pta.
    Then we still have more left :p

    Thanks
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - much rock Forum Date
How much soil Advanced Topics Feb 15, 2021
Can I have to much bio media Filtration Nov 26, 2020
driftwood ~ how much is too much General Discussions Jan 28, 2019
how much Water change is required Beginner Discussions Aug 2, 2018
Too much air? Beginner Discussions Feb 7, 2018
When u got to much time Breeding Sep 1, 2016
Why do we love Tropheus so much? Stone Aquatics Aug 26, 2016

Share This Page