Help with my plan

Discussion in 'Anything DIY related' started by Shrimp lover, Nov 24, 2013.

  1. Shrimp lover

    Shrimp lover

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2013
    Messages:
    173
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    Bloemfontein
    Hi all. I am seeing a lot of funny things happening as of late. The use of laminate glass is one of those. I have built a tank out of this stuff before and it literally exploded into a million pieces when it was filled and got to temp it was properly braced. This was about ten years ago and if I look at what is happening it would seem that the technology has become better or I had very bad glass to start with?

    If I was to build a tank out of this stuff I would be using 8.8mm and the dimensions will be as follow: 115cm long 75cm wide and 70cm deep. Will brace corners with aluminum angle iron(40mm) on the outside, glass bracing inside also corners(40mm strips). Flat bracing made of glass 10cm wide and 8.8 thick x3 on the bottom and 40mm aluminum angle iron on the bottom seams. Bracing will also be done on the top and will serve as base for a clear Perspex sliding top divided into two.

    Planning to run the tank of a built in biological filter at the back of the tank that I would like to hide behind some tall plants.

    For the stand I am planning on using a old steel framed powder coated table frame add more bracing and two more feet. The frame is made of 40mm square tubing I will be using the saligna top to rest the polystyrene on and place the tank on top of that.

    The second part being can I do a DIY LED setup is there a "special type that you should use or can I go to my local electronic/lighting store and just buy the bright white ones and build a enclosure for it. Will there be enough light for plants to grow?

    Thanks in advance:
    Shaun
     
  2. Guest




  3. Krefie

    Krefie

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2012
    Messages:
    175
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Silver Lakes
    I dont know about laminated glass exploding, but tempered glass has a tendency to break like you described...but I've only seen that happen when it has been drilled...
     
  4. cknipe

    cknipe

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2013
    Messages:
    196
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Bothasig, Milnerton, Western Cape
    Laminated glass can't 'explode' - there is a plastic filiment inside that keeps it together, similar to a car's front window. I think he is refering to tempered glass, not laminated glass, and will 'explode' like a car's door and/or rear windows when smashed.
     
  5. OP
    Shrimp lover

    Shrimp lover

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2013
    Messages:
    173
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    Bloemfontein
    CK it broke exactly like a car window yes. So I humbly apologise it was probably tempered glass then.
     
  6. cknipe

    cknipe

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2013
    Messages:
    196
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Bothasig, Milnerton, Western Cape
    Just to answer your question - I would highly recommended that you don't use tempered glass for your aquarium. Allot of others will agree as well, due to the way that it breaks.
     
  7. OP
    Shrimp lover

    Shrimp lover

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2013
    Messages:
    173
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    Bloemfontein
    So then if I read you right the laminated glass should work fine then?
     
  8. blueskipjack

    blueskipjack

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2012
    Messages:
    179
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Port Elizabeth
    Laminated glass

    Hi I have a 1.3mx600x500 laminated 8mm glass tank that i build december last year and there is no problems with it.So you can use it for aquariums.I brased it on top and inside on the bottom.
     
  9. OP
    Shrimp lover

    Shrimp lover

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2013
    Messages:
    173
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    Bloemfontein
    thanks Blue then that is settled any ideas on the lighting?
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Help plan Forum Date
Please help ID these plants. Aquatic plants Feb 12, 2024
Help with Plant ID please? Aquatic plants Jul 27, 2021
Help ID Bugs (came with a plant) ID Needed May 24, 2021
Help with Setting up new planted tank New members May 4, 2021
Help planning tank Planted Tanks Jan 5, 2021
Helping a friend set up a planted tank Planted Tanks Aug 15, 2020
Help identifying plants Planted Tanks Jul 1, 2020

Share This Page