Help me understand pls!

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by CharlieB, Feb 10, 2012.

  1. CharlieB

    CharlieB

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2011
    Messages:
    217
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Salt Rock, KZN
    Right guys, without starting an argument, pls help me understand this cause I am very stumped. After all the talk about aldehyde's and their poison and how they are polluting water ways and etc etc etc and how even tho excel aldehyde is in a small dilution its still crazy poisonous but now it is ok to dose a pond with an aldehyde and that Henk doesn't have to worry about his cat licking the water after its been dosed cause it is a small dilution.. Im finding this totally ironic and crazy but I AM AWARE that they are two different types of aldehydes so I was just wondering if someone could explain the difference to me or maybe just open my eyes a little.

    Would appreciate it thank you cause as stated I am now very confused.
     
  2. Guest




  3. azurekoi

    azurekoi Loaches & Gobies

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2010
    Messages:
    4,077
    Likes Received:
    61
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Easy @CharlieB - think of exposure times.... Adding aldehydes to your water every day.... Vs. a once off treatment...
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  4. Henk Hugo

    Henk Hugo

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2008
    Messages:
    4,135
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    Cape Town
    @CharlieB perhaps i can try and explain but @Dirk Bellstedt should be able to do it better than what I can.

    Formaldehyde is indeed toxic and indeed part of the dreaded aldehyde group. Formaldehyde and malacite green chloride is often used in fish medication as a treatment for various issues like Ich, Chilodonella, Costia, Oodinium etc. These treatments would be a once off (normally a cycle of a week or 10 days at most) and not a continuous (daily or weekly for extended periods) as what you would with gluteraldehyde in planted tanks. Before each dose you would do a rather large water change, minimum 25% on a koi pond.

    I hope this explains the use of formaldehyde and malacite green chloride a little better.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  5. OP
    CharlieB

    CharlieB

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2011
    Messages:
    217
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Salt Rock, KZN
    @azurekoi, was just asking a question as I didnt understand hence I stated "with out starting an argument". @ Henk Hugo, thanks for explaining.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  6. Henk Hugo

    Henk Hugo

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2008
    Messages:
    4,135
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    Cape Town
    No problem. Just as a side note - our Broad Spectrum Disease Treatment (the product with the formaldehyde and malacite green chloride) comes with some rather large warnings. Front of the bottle says POISON which is flanked by skull and crossbones. Underneath that it says "Keep out of reach of children. See right panel for warning and antidote." Then on the right panel there's a whole write up on what to do should someone swallow it and get it in their eyes and a proper piece about the warning related to formaldehyde and malacite green chloride.

    Edit: Here is a link for some more reading material. Microbe-Lift.com :: Broad Spectrum Disease Treatment
     
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  7. Skye01

    Skye01

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2011
    Messages:
    1,273
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Rynfield, Benoni. GP
    @Henk Hugo, not to hi-jack the thread but, I'd like to know if you have any retailers of the Microbe-Lift products on the East Rand area?

    Thanks
    Kim
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  8. Henk Hugo

    Henk Hugo

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2008
    Messages:
    4,135
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    Cape Town
    @Skye01 - us Capies dont know the difference between the East Rand, West Rand, Reef etc :D Send me a PM with some of the areas etc and i will try and help as best I can :D
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  9. Barry.M

    Barry.M

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2011
    Messages:
    539
    Likes Received:
    32
    Location:
    Kilner Park, Pretoria
    Hi Skye01, I will be coming through to the K90 shopping centre in Boksburg on Sunday to drop off a few repaired guitars.
    I am also going to Moolis at Pet Stop tomorrow, PM me with the Microbe-Lift products that you're interested in and your phn no. I can bring them through for you. Will be dropping guitars off at our West Rand Branch first, Then through to Park Meadows Mall and then to K90. Should be there around 13h00. You may want to phone Pet Stop first and find out what they have and prices... (Ask for Drikus or Didi, tell them to give the stuff to me.) You can reimburse me when I drop them off. I bought the Bio-carbon and the Bloom & Grow... The stuff works, very happy with it...
    Barry
     
    azurekoi likes this.
  10. OP
    CharlieB

    CharlieB

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2011
    Messages:
    217
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Salt Rock, KZN
    Hey guys back to topic pls!
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Help understand Forum Date
Malawi cichlids diet ( helped me understand them better so I thought it could help others too) Beginner Discussions Feb 13, 2022
Can someone please help me understand what went wrong General Fish Discussions Apr 16, 2020
Need help understanding my tankwater's test results? General Discussions May 30, 2017
Please Help me understand General Discussions Oct 2, 2013
5ft tank cracked bottom panel... Newer bigger DIY help needed Anything DIY related Sep 22, 2025
Need help to brace my tank General Equipment discussion Oct 15, 2024
Bad advise please help New members Sep 16, 2024

Share This Page