Hê! Hê!..... is this Cheating???.....

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Cheetah, Aug 1, 2012.

  1. Cheetah

    Cheetah Retired moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    Messages:
    2,715
    Likes Received:
    124
    Location:
    Kimberley ( Northern Cape)
    I used to love my Midnight Black Lyretail Mollies and it's been many years since I've seen any thoroughbreds.....

    Today I had the rare opportunity to get out of my domain (taking the car for a service)...... and this foreign town just happened to have a little pet shop as well. (unlike my own area)

    Well.... I saw them and could not resist..... Testing the patience of the assistant..... I carefully selected one male and 2 females (in a tank with about 50 of them)..... and she eventually caught the right ones after many attempts.....

    It is about a 2 hour drive back home... and when I took the bag out the car.... I had the 3 adults plus 25 healthy little fry in the bag.....

    The adults are now in one (3ft) tank and the fry in another...... In effect.... I now have 28 fish, but only paid for 3.... Is that cheating??....
     
  2. Guest




  3. WhitePhantom

    WhitePhantom

    Joined:
    May 27, 2012
    Messages:
    175
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Vereeniging
    HAHAHAHAH!! what a score man! These are really nice fish!

    I dont think it is cheating! lol.. but thats just me

    Nice catch man! ( <<<get itZ ;) )
     
  4. Bazil

    Bazil Bazil

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2012
    Messages:
    1,593
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Sasolburg
    Play the lotto. Definitely atleast a quick pick.
     
  5. Firefly

    Firefly Pleco

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2010
    Messages:
    2,333
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    East London
    Hey that's awesome. Now just make sure you can keep them all.
     
  6. OP
    Cheetah

    Cheetah Retired moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    Messages:
    2,715
    Likes Received:
    124
    Location:
    Kimberley ( Northern Cape)
    You see.... It's not as easy to spot a pregnant lotto as it is to tell when a Molly is (very) pregnant....
     
  7. A Bauer

    A Bauer Guest

    No not cheating - it just shows that you made good choices. HAHAHA. Congrats
     
  8. len.weideman

    len.weideman Planted tanks intrigue me

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2012
    Messages:
    421
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    Cape Town
    LOL- That is what I call luck!
     
  9. Bazil

    Bazil Bazil

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2012
    Messages:
    1,593
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Sasolburg
    Ha ha ha. Well spotted. You lucky fish. Or fishies...
     
  10. Hawk

    Hawk Clown Fish :-)

    Joined:
    May 25, 2012
    Messages:
    5,147
    Likes Received:
    80
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Ha ha ha :bigsmile: Nicely done
     
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  11. Boomslang

    Boomslang

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2012
    Messages:
    124
    Likes Received:
    8
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Brilliantly done! Absolutely love it. Definitely going to put this into practice in the future!
     
  12. gdt78

    gdt78

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2011
    Messages:
    620
    Likes Received:
    5
    Location:
    Jhb - East rand
    post some photos
     
  13. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    @Cheetah, not at all.

    You paid for a pregnant fish, and that's what you got........
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  14. Ryno

    Ryno Kenaal baber

    Joined:
    May 19, 2012
    Messages:
    4,022
    Likes Received:
    50
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Its a score :) see a opportunity and grab it haha
     
  15. BigFish

    BigFish

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2008
    Messages:
    149
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Robertsham ,Jhb South
    Now thats what i call a quick return on investment .

    Pics please .
     
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  16. Skye01

    Skye01

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2011
    Messages:
    1,273
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Rynfield, Benoni. GP
    No it's not cheating, it's just careful picking.... Hehehe
     
  17. OP
    Cheetah

    Cheetah Retired moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    Messages:
    2,715
    Likes Received:
    124
    Location:
    Kimberley ( Northern Cape)
    So glad for this pic request.... gives me the opportunity to test out my homemade photograph tank.... Here they are....

    The Male I purchased...
    [​IMG]

    The mother of the fry:
    [​IMG]

    Couple of the fry:
    [​IMG]

    And then some more of the fry:
    [​IMG]

    Please note.... that this is also a good indication of sex differences in live bearers for our beginners..... note the spikey anal fin of the male and the rounded anal fin of the female...... well.... this applies to Mollies, Platies, Guppies and swordtails..... (and of late.... we can add Endlers to this list as wel.... so!... do not let me hear another question in future about sex differences in livebearers.....(lol)
     
    len.weideman likes this.
  18. bylaag

    bylaag

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2010
    Messages:
    240
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Honeydew Ridge, Roodepoort
    Brilliant photo's @Cheetah! Well done in picking a female that's just about to "pop".

    I struggle to take photo's of my fish, putting them in a smaller tank is a good idea!

    What do you feed the fry?
     
  19. BigFish

    BigFish

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2008
    Messages:
    149
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Robertsham ,Jhb South
    nice pics
     
  20. OP
    Cheetah

    Cheetah Retired moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    Messages:
    2,715
    Likes Received:
    124
    Location:
    Kimberley ( Northern Cape)
    I have become a real lazy aquarist of late..... I used to start all fry on BS, (which is of course the best).... but nowadays..... unless I have more than 100 fry to rear... I simply use the Tetramin powdered flakes for Livebearer fry.....
     
  21. BBQ

    BBQ

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2012
    Messages:
    1,023
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Pretoria
    !!! haha gratz man,congrats to the multi fry bouns (you just won the jackpot) haha
    I see you found the lazy way too :D
    just dont know what I am gonna do with the BS eggs maybe during summer I will give them a go again
    but the Tetramin is great.
     

Recent Posts

Share This Page