Guppy vs temp

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Super Sywurm, Aug 17, 2017.

  1. Super Sywurm

    Super Sywurm

    Joined:
    May 14, 2017
    Messages:
    642
    Likes Received:
    133
    Location:
    Kimberley, Northern Cape
    What is the lowest temp you can keep guppies at and still be humane?
     
  2. Guest




  3. Pierré Schoonraad

    Pierré Schoonraad Rainbow Freak

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2012
    Messages:
    2,072
    Likes Received:
    700
    Location:
    Queenswood Pretoria
    I'm sure I read somewhere that 15 is still ok for them although I have seen people have them outside in ponds at lower temps and they survive. Naturally their metabolism goes slower the more the temp drops so breeding might totaly stop at lower temps. So I think the question could be interpreted differently by each person. I prefer not to have their temp drop below 18.

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
     
  4. Pezulu

    Pezulu

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2015
    Messages:
    3,417
    Likes Received:
    1,393
    Location:
    Centurion
    I would suggest 18°C as about the minimum safe temperature for them, if they are used to a tropical temperature range, with 24°C - 26°C being the ideal, and about 28°C the maximum.
    Absolute minimum would be 15°C.
     
  5. SalmonAfrica

    SalmonAfrica Batfish

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2008
    Messages:
    3,080
    Likes Received:
    471
    Location:
    Durban
    All I could find on the topic was some strains in an experiment could tolerate as low as 12°C.

    In my experiences, though, I've found guppies living in the nearby green zone, where I know in winter it gets a low as 14°C. That's all I've measured, but again those are surface waters, and it might be warmer or colder in other areas of the river/pond. They survive the winters, clearly, but you don't see them as often as you do in summer. I guess that has to do with the activity levels dropping in the winter. However, I did come across some very young fish (less than a centimeter to about a centimeter), so either they were still breeding, or they bred prior to the cold and have really slow growth over the colder period.

    This isn't to say all guppies can live like this - some scientific experiments indicate that a few fish species can inherit temperature tolerance from their parents (including guppies, as used in the study I mentioned in the first paragraph). So the guppies from the local pond are likely genetically predisposed to tolerate the lower end of the temperature scale, whereas guppies you buy from the pet store were likely bred in tropical ponds overseas, or raised in heated tanks.

    Ramble over - long story short, if your guppies are from the store, I'd say the lowest safe temperature are 17°C to 18°C. But expect less growth, activity, and breeding.

    Regards,
     
  6. OP
    Super Sywurm

    Super Sywurm

    Joined:
    May 14, 2017
    Messages:
    642
    Likes Received:
    133
    Location:
    Kimberley, Northern Cape
    I am considering putting them in temp between 10-20. But it feels like I am going to harm them. I want happy and healthy fish.

    My other option is a comet tank. I like the guppy as much as the comets.
     
  7. SalmonAfrica

    SalmonAfrica Batfish

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2008
    Messages:
    3,080
    Likes Received:
    471
    Location:
    Durban
    Are you able to control the temperature of the setup you're planning on using? Or is 10-20°C the approximate temperatures that the tank fluctuates between?

    Guppies are, at a stretch, a little subtropical, but they won't do too well for too long if the temperatures get that low, especially for extended periods of time. Comets would be your better option.

    Regards,
     
    Reedfish likes this.
  8. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    I have to agree with @SalmonAfrica

    Guppies might be ok at lower temps short term, but it's not ideal.
    If you aren't going to be heat the tank for whatever reason, rather keep temperate fish.
     
  9. OP
    Super Sywurm

    Super Sywurm

    Joined:
    May 14, 2017
    Messages:
    642
    Likes Received:
    133
    Location:
    Kimberley, Northern Cape
    I have no control over the temp.
     
  10. tankman

    tankman

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2017
    Messages:
    44
    Likes Received:
    8
    Location:
    alberton
    @Super Sywurm i have bred guppies outdoors for ages and every time winter comes i try get rid of most but not always possible. so last winter midway through i went to check in one pond that i had the pumps and stuff all switched off and forgot about that pond, never fed food there either must be a couple months into winter with low temps, anyway i saw some guppies and platies still swimming in there with a few ghost shrimp hiding in floating grass as well, so for the record i took my digital thermometer and checked the temp one morning early at 6 am and it was on 11°. they did not look very active i must say but they lived on. probably still alive havent checked again but wilp do tomorrow and keep you all updated.
     
  11. OP
    Super Sywurm

    Super Sywurm

    Joined:
    May 14, 2017
    Messages:
    642
    Likes Received:
    133
    Location:
    Kimberley, Northern Cape
    I don't think I can do that to my guppies. They doesn't sound happy. But if all fail, they will survive. I didn't know platies will survive that temp.
     
  12. OP
    Super Sywurm

    Super Sywurm

    Joined:
    May 14, 2017
    Messages:
    642
    Likes Received:
    133
    Location:
    Kimberley, Northern Cape
    With all this info, I would rather get some comets and put them in the cold water.
     
    SalmonAfrica and tankman like this.
  13. tankman

    tankman

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2017
    Messages:
    44
    Likes Received:
    8
    Location:
    alberton
    true there @Super Sywurm . or you could try some white cloud mountain minnows as they handle these temps better thats if you want small fish.
     
  14. OP
    Super Sywurm

    Super Sywurm

    Joined:
    May 14, 2017
    Messages:
    642
    Likes Received:
    133
    Location:
    Kimberley, Northern Cape
    I already bought 3 smallish comets.
     
  15. Pezulu

    Pezulu

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2015
    Messages:
    3,417
    Likes Received:
    1,393
    Location:
    Centurion
    Get a heater, and your guppies should be fine.
     
  16. OP
    Super Sywurm

    Super Sywurm

    Joined:
    May 14, 2017
    Messages:
    642
    Likes Received:
    133
    Location:
    Kimberley, Northern Cape
    Not that easy. The room temp is about 10 deg. The tank volume is 210l. Two heaters (200 and 150w) can't heat the tank to 20deg. So, the heaters stays on permanently. The heating bill is killing me.
     
    tankman likes this.
  17. Pezulu

    Pezulu

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2015
    Messages:
    3,417
    Likes Received:
    1,393
    Location:
    Centurion
    Maybe use another thermometer to check the temperature of the water.
    It is highly unlikely that 2 heaters in the same tank will both have trouble.

    In my 280L I have a 300W and a 200W heater, and the water stays toasty warm throughout the winter, even though the temperature of the room averages out to about 12°C - 13°C.
     
  18. tankman

    tankman

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2017
    Messages:
    44
    Likes Received:
    8
    Location:
    alberton
    thats strange. i have that same size tank in garage with a 300w heater. and garage not even insulated so temp inside almost same as outside. but my heater never struggle like that. try a 300w heater alone and see if it makes a difference. oh and when both heaters is on touch with ur hand to feel that both are infact giving off heat as ife had a tank before with 2 heaters where one was constantly with its light on, upon checking i found the heating element somehow wasnt conected to a thermostat, bad conection so thermostat was on 24/7 but not giving power to element. worth a check.
     
  19. OP
    Super Sywurm

    Super Sywurm

    Joined:
    May 14, 2017
    Messages:
    642
    Likes Received:
    133
    Location:
    Kimberley, Northern Cape
    Both working fine, they are heating other tanks now.
     
    tankman likes this.
  20. Muhammed

    Muhammed

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2019
    Messages:
    118
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Durban
    I'm currently breeding my guppies and mollies outside in a 100L tub ,only have a 25w heater there for the night's ,don't even know If it's connected lol,but they still swimming around crazily ,breeding and all very active to me,like in a pet shop waiin for food,the water has got to a stage to 10c
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Guppy temp Forum Date
Water temperature and guppy fry sex development Breeding May 6, 2017
Guppy sick ?worms Beginner Discussions Oct 12, 2025
Guppy breeding and selection guidelines needed please. Breeding Feb 14, 2025
Fancy Guppy strain pairs in Durban? General Discussions Jan 3, 2025
Swop: Selling/Swop Blue dream shrimp R30 each or for a cool Guppy strain. Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jan 28, 2024
What kind of Guppy is this? ID Needed Dec 6, 2023
Guppy breeders Beginner Discussions Jun 15, 2023

Share This Page