Guppy problem

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Marius Swart, May 22, 2013.

  1. Marius Swart

    Marius Swart Guppies

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2011
    Messages:
    1,893
    Likes Received:
    45
    Location:
    Oudtshoorn
    DSCF6823.jpg This is how they start looking, getting very skinny some of them. I did kill all the skinny ones, about 5. I was told to get rid of them all as I wont find the problem.... Tank been running for more than a year, weekly water changes , I did add rams about 3-4 weeks ago, Also got many new plants. Anyone seen this happened before? I did once and lost all my guppies, id say 2 years ago, NOW AGAIN.....

    DSCF6823.jpg
     
  2. Guest




  3. Cheetah

    Cheetah Retired moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2009
    Messages:
    2,715
    Likes Received:
    124
    Location:
    Kimberley ( Northern Cape)
    Maybe I was just lucky with my breeding project... but.... I was always advised .... do not get Guppies from a guppy farm.... they are produced in (millions) and.... will not last for 2 weeks in your tank.... I have bought some guppies from commercial breeders.... and.... it is true..... they do not last very long due to what is known as "Guppy Disease" ..... brood... after brood just died.... until one day... I separated freshly born fry immediately as and when they were born..... to a tank of their own..... 16 of them.... all the breeding stocks subsequently died.... (Guppy disease) .... but the separated 16 fry..... started a new generation of Guppies... which I still have today..... I suspect that you have "Guppy disease" infesting your tanks.... Dunno what causes it.... and.... hoping I do not get it.... Net out freshly born fry... and start from scratch with those..... Just my opinion....
     
  4. jacques du toit

    jacques du toit

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2013
    Messages:
    39
    Likes Received:
    11
    Location:
    cape town
    i lost 70 beautiful males a month ago they went thin and could not swim right after i put them in a new 1.2meter tank i bought on gumtree. i figured out that i had swim bladder disease so i caught my 4 females put them in a separate tank and they all gave birth got about 150 fry now getting big quickly. Out of the 85 i had only males and 4 females i saved 10males with sum treatment i bought for R150 at a pet shop . was sad to see my 3yrs of guppy breeding down the toilet but now excited to see how the fry gonna look in about 3 months time .
     
  5. OP
    Marius Swart

    Marius Swart Guppies

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2011
    Messages:
    1,893
    Likes Received:
    45
    Location:
    Oudtshoorn
    @Cheetah I also think it is guppy Disease, heard of it and think that's what happened to me more than a year ago, kept 5 fish and all these are from that 5, okey, I have some very small fry in the tank, but not sure if its from today or early in the week, what should I do? When this first happened to me I spend a large amount of money on meds and stuff and noting worked. @jacques du toit ja its sad, also very sad cause I was struggling to get the blonde lyre and somehow 3 poped out but the 1 was first to die. I was told to kill all them in the tank and hydrogen peroxide the tank and start over. Problem is starting over, where do I start........
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  6. OP
    Marius Swart

    Marius Swart Guppies

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2011
    Messages:
    1,893
    Likes Received:
    45
    Location:
    Oudtshoorn
    DSCF6858.jpg

    DSCF6858.jpg
     
  7. jabula 7749

    jabula 7749 jabula

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2011
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    70
    Location:
    port elizabeth
    I have 3 1000l tanks with guppies I got from some of the forum members,They were multiplyng like mad Until 3 months ago,first the black Adults,then the blue adults then the orange tale adults all died.some look perfectly healthy,others go thin and look like their backs are broken and battle to swim then died.
    A couple of the babies survived,lost about 500 guppies!
    thought it might be the colder nights as the tanks are outside with heaters,but the temp still drops to 21degrees!
    Very sad as it was some of len and Irmas stock!
    Maybe as you guys noted,a dreadful guppy DISEASE!!!!
     
  8. DewaldC

    DewaldC Magikarp

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2012
    Messages:
    1,867
    Likes Received:
    28
    Location:
    Roodepoort
    Fish tuberculosis.:idea:
     
  9. Irma

    Irma Guppymad

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2009
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Midrand, Jhb
    Could be. Do a google search and see if the other symptoms concur.
    @jabula 7749 - sorry to hear this. I will have more Full Reds available in a couple of months.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  10. OP
    Marius Swart

    Marius Swart Guppies

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2011
    Messages:
    1,893
    Likes Received:
    45
    Location:
    Oudtshoorn
    sounds like Fish TB ja, did read about that . Ja, well if this does go further I will put down the whole tank, sadly its my planted tank, ill make a plan with it somehow, then I might take on betta breeding, as for the tank next to this tank, if its in there, I might make that an open top planted. Will keep my odd outside tank guppies, they cannot have this, don't even have pics of them, never check on them, just feed and water. Ai dis sad oor die storie, amal lyk sover goed maar ek weet daar is iets fout in die tank, van die vise is net anders....
     
  11. len.weideman

    len.weideman Planted tanks intrigue me

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2012
    Messages:
    421
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Experienced the same problem a while ago. Got Praziquantel and treated the whole tank. And retreated it a second time four days later. Feed them at least two to three times a day, must feed live food bbs is best. I bought granules and spirulina flakes from Prof Dirk.
    I also read a lot about Heximita, and thought it will do no harm to follow the advise from sone top breeders. I make my tank water arder by adding some Epsoms salt and bicarb to my water. About a teaspoon per 60 litres. Works like a charm for me.
    never seen my guppies happier and healthier, and the breed like crazy
     
  12. OP
    Marius Swart

    Marius Swart Guppies

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2011
    Messages:
    1,893
    Likes Received:
    45
    Location:
    Oudtshoorn
    Ill add some to the tank, then all the other aswell. I hope to get bbs eggs because mine wont hatch.
     
  13. f-fish

    f-fish #unspecified

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,642
    Likes Received:
    2,260
    Location:
    JHB - Randburg
    Len you have any plants in the tank you adding this to?

    And for those who are ... read here before you go rushing into this Water Chemistry The Planted Tank
     
    Last edited: May 25, 2013
  14. len.weideman

    len.weideman Planted tanks intrigue me

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2012
    Messages:
    421
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Hello. Yes I use the same method in my planted tank with no ill effect.
    I sometimes get the impression too many people have opinions in a hobby, that they want to call true gospel. If it works for you, thumbs up. This is what worked for me, if anybody or nobody do the same, no problem



    Here is n pic of my planted tank- hightech with CO2 and all not the best pic, taken with iPad

    image.jpg

    image.jpg
     
    Last edited: May 25, 2013
  15. len.weideman

    len.weideman Planted tanks intrigue me

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2012
    Messages:
    421
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    Cape Town
    LoL, sorry about upside down pics
     
  16. mattie

    mattie

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2010
    Messages:
    786
    Likes Received:
    44
    Location:
    Cape Town
    looking great Ien
     
  17. Dinky

    Dinky

    Joined:
    May 21, 2013
    Messages:
    1,685
    Likes Received:
    21
    Location:
    Pretoria
    It's beautiful!
     
  18. Dinky

    Dinky

    Joined:
    May 21, 2013
    Messages:
    1,685
    Likes Received:
    21
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Len,

    I'm still completely new to the whole aquarium business and would like to inquire on the Epson Salt and Bicarb

    I have 2 cory julii and a pleco in with my guppies. Any idea how adding these affect them?
     
  19. f-fish

    f-fish #unspecified

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,642
    Likes Received:
    2,260
    Location:
    JHB - Randburg
    .. good to know, was a little concerned that people would think that you can only do the epson salt and bicarb in a non-planted tank. Our tanks are in the end about a sustainable eco system - so stick to what works and do not try every other thing you find, unless you are willing to put up a tank for each of those things.
     
  20. OP
    Marius Swart

    Marius Swart Guppies

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2011
    Messages:
    1,893
    Likes Received:
    45
    Location:
    Oudtshoorn
    So len , I add a teaspoon for my tank and almost another half , does this count for bicarb and Epson salt? Also bicarb same as baking soda?
     
  21. OP
    Marius Swart

    Marius Swart Guppies

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2011
    Messages:
    1,893
    Likes Received:
    45
    Location:
    Oudtshoorn
    Today still no problem fish I believe, all looks okey , I wonder if it could be dechlorinator, they don't know this, ever since I started using it again they wernt the same . Had not done a water change for a few days, only added normal tap water with some heated kettle water.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Guppy problem Forum Date
Female guppy problem General Discussions Sep 6, 2014
guppy problem.. General Discussions Jan 11, 2012
Guppy problem Species Tanks Nov 21, 2011
Guppy sick ?worms Beginner Discussions Oct 12, 2025
Guppy breeding and selection guidelines needed please. Breeding Feb 14, 2025
Fancy Guppy strain pairs in Durban? General Discussions Jan 3, 2025
Swop: Selling/Swop Blue dream shrimp R30 each or for a cool Guppy strain. Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jan 28, 2024

Share This Page