Guppies loosing chunks of tail - Betta to blame?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Dinky, Jul 27, 2013.

  1. Dinky

    Dinky

    Joined:
    May 21, 2013
    Messages:
    1,685
    Likes Received:
    21
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Hallo!

    Yesterday I noticed my prime guppy had a chunk missing from his tail. Today, two more guppies had chunks missing. They are all swimming fine (thank goodness)

    I don't have anything in the tank that they could be ripping it on. Only Java fern and anubias

    Could my betta females, now that they are becoming bigger, be mistaking my guppies for male betta and be beating up on them?

    Other tank occupants - 2 platy, 2 endlers (wish the betta would eat them) and leopard pleco.
     
  2. Guest




  3. dash

    dash

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2013
    Messages:
    3,194
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Durban
    Hi

    It could be the platies. Keep water clean to prevent infection. I have used seachem stress guard before and my fish healed fast.
     
  4. OP
    Dinky

    Dinky

    Joined:
    May 21, 2013
    Messages:
    1,685
    Likes Received:
    21
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Tx @dash will do.

    Now that you mention the platy - they do seem to have a bit of pms lately. I've noticed a gravit spot in one of them. Maybe she's cranky as a result. Will keep a close eye on them.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  5. OP
    Dinky

    Dinky

    Joined:
    May 21, 2013
    Messages:
    1,685
    Likes Received:
    21
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Just a quick update on my guppies losing their tails.

    Found 2 practically without tails and dying when I woke up Saturday morning.

    I had already remove the platy to a bigger tank so they turned out not to be the culprits.

    I then had to choose between eliminating the Endlers or the Betta Females.

    I opted for the endlers since they are real pesky little fellows and I wished the Betta would eat them. Put them in a breeding box.

    Have not had any fin nipping or any further deaths. Will continue to monitor the situation and then drown the edlers if it turns out to be them.
     
  6. Irma

    Irma Guppymad

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2009
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Midrand, Jhb
    I do not think it was the endlers. I would hedge my bet on the betta's. Also, just so you know :), it is never a good idea to have endlers and guppies in the same tank as they will interbreed.

    Don't drown the endlers - donate them to your local pet shop!
     
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  7. OP
    Dinky

    Dinky

    Joined:
    May 21, 2013
    Messages:
    1,685
    Likes Received:
    21
    Location:
    Pretoria
    @Irma

    I kept the 2 endlers in the breeding net the whole week, nothing happened to my guppies. On friday before I left for the weekend, I took them out and found another tailless guppy this afternoon when I came home. Tail completely destroyed.

    Strange as this may seem, I honestly think it's them.

    With regards to the crossbreeding, I only have male guppies in the tank. Down to only 2 Neon Blue ones now. Lost really beautiful ones. :cry:
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Guppies loosing chunks Forum Date
Wanted: Purestrain Guppies Wanted/Swop/Freebies Mar 26, 2026
Wanted: Pygmy corry, koi guppies Wanted/Swop/Freebies Aug 14, 2025
Wanted: Red mosaic dumbo ear guppies Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jul 28, 2025
Wanted: Show guppies Wanted/Swop/Freebies May 12, 2025
Baby Guppies available General Discussions Oct 23, 2024
Wanted: Looking for Show Guppies Wanted/Swop/Freebies Oct 21, 2024
Wanted: Looking for Guppies Wanted/Swop/Freebies May 27, 2024

Share This Page