Guidance needed please

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Aqua, Oct 10, 2010.

  1. Aqua

    Aqua Discus

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Hi,

    I am wanting to replace my tinfoils that I sold, with german blue rams, anything I need to know before I go buy them? I have read that they make great community tank fish as they are naturally shy and it helps them come out of their shell so to speak... can anyone offer advice on these fish and if its a good move??

    Thanks,
    Candice
     
  2. Guest




  3. Gert Combrink

    Gert Combrink

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2008
    Messages:
    1,786
    Likes Received:
    16
    Location:
    Protea Hights, Brackenfell, Cape Town.
    Aqua, research the water requirements of the rams, and make sure your tank's water is suitable, before you fetch them. Compare your tank's water and the lps's tank water.
    Make sure there are no larger fish that will bully them, in the tank, and give them pots/caves to hide in.
    Good luck
    Gert.
     
  4. azurekoi

    azurekoi Loaches & Gobies

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2010
    Messages:
    4,077
    Likes Received:
    61
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Hi Candice
    Rams are great little fish and not to difficult to keep...being S.American,they prefer softer water and a well planted tank - non boisterous tankmates and a coupla hiding places as there are some intra species agression...Enjoy them,the rewards of these little beauts are manyfold....
     
  5. OP
    Aqua

    Aqua Discus

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Temperature: 78-85 °F (26-30 °C)
    pH: 5.0 – 7.5
    Size: 3″ (7 cm)
    Diet: Accepts all types of food including flakes, sinking pellets, frozen and freeze-dried foods


    Thanks Gert and Azurekoi, I read the above before getting them, so water parameters are perfect :) I have been watching them and they are not hiding that much, which is great! They are also a lot of fun to watch, esp the way they swim and then stop but don't carry on floating like other fish, they stop completely still... I am certainly going to love having them!



    Candice
     
  6. Zoom

    Zoom Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2009
    Messages:
    8,469
    Likes Received:
    119
    Location:
    Jhb- Fourways
    They are amazing fish. Very interactive with each other, and some of them become friendly to their owners. I have 3 Bolivian Rams.... also amazing little fish.
     
  7. Vis

    Vis Gerhard

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2009
    Messages:
    6,130
    Likes Received:
    132
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    They are great little fish and can be full of caracter. The only thing that you need to know is that they can get aggressive with feeding time and chace the other around.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Guidance needed please Forum Date
Water parameters - Some guidance please... Beginner Discussions Sep 19, 2022
General guidance Beginner Discussions Aug 25, 2012
just a thought-moderators your guidance please General Discussions Aug 13, 2012
100L tank needed General Discussions Jun 15, 2026
Plants needed! Aquatic plants Dec 23, 2025
Wanted: Aquatic plants needed! Wanted/Swop/Freebies Dec 23, 2025
5ft tank cracked bottom panel... Newer bigger DIY help needed Anything DIY related Sep 22, 2025

Share This Page