Growth on eyelid

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Jay, Sep 6, 2013.

  1. Jay

    Jay

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2012
    Messages:
    471
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Boksburg Gauteng
    Hi there, I have a frontosa with a growth on its eye lid, it doesn't seem to affect its vision and is white in colour. Anyone know how to remove this safely.

    i will get a picture I'd necessary yet I have tried and the pictures are unclear and the growth isn't visible.

    thankadvance jasonadvance jason
     
  2. Guest




  3. DCWarHound

    DCWarHound

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2013
    Messages:
    1,059
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Pretoria,Sinoville
    This is very important.

    Is it in the middle of the eye,is it on top of they eye (usually around the sides).Is the eye swelling up?

    Most likely it's a fungus but it can also be an injury.It can become permanent but if it keeps growing then it's most likely a fungus.
     
  4. OP
    Jay

    Jay

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2012
    Messages:
    471
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Boksburg Gauteng
    It is definitely on the top of the eyes, it is not cloud eye. Should I separate him from the rest immediately and put large amounts of salt in? I have put salt in my tank but not a vast amount that would have any affect. It does seem to have gotten bigger since I first saw it
     
  5. Jenn

    Jenn Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2011
    Messages:
    2,245
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    Johannesburg, Kensington
    How long has it been there? My male Krib has a little growth on his lip. He's had it for more than a year. I have never tried to do anything to cure it. It doesn't seem to bother him and it hasn't spread on him or to any of the other fish. It is also white, looks a bit like a colourless mole.

    I've tried to google warts/growths/moles on fish. The results vary from medical emergency to fish recipes to cartoons about fish and moles. I know that's not very helpful. Hopefully yours is as (seemingly) harmless as mine.
     
  6. OP
    Jay

    Jay

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2012
    Messages:
    471
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Boksburg Gauteng
    Yes, a friend of mine had a fish with a very similar 'mole' as well. It's not bothering him but I'll continue to keep an eye on him .i think it can be cut off if I'm not mistaken but by the eye is a little risky, especially if he can still use it. They either cutoff or inject it, I'm not sure
     
  7. DCWarHound

    DCWarHound

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2013
    Messages:
    1,059
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Pretoria,Sinoville
    About the mole,if it's under the lower lip then it's completely normal.It's quite common for cichlids,especially the larger kinds.

    Fungus is usually not infections nor life threatening,you can quarantine him for a few days/weeks with some anti-fungus meds (Some brands can damage plants)

    If you are going to salt route then try and get epsom salt at 1 teaspoon per 20l,salt is usually good for wounds but unnecessary unless the fungus actually digs into him.
     
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  8. OP
    Jay

    Jay

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2012
    Messages:
    471
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Boksburg Gauteng
    Okay thank you soo much I really appreciate your help
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Growth eyelid Forum Date
Alternanthera sessilis growth New members Feb 5, 2024
Light and growth Beginner Discussions Oct 25, 2021
White growth Diseases Jul 30, 2021
Filter Bacteria Growth Rate General Discussions Jan 27, 2021
RSS Feed Brine Shrimp Benefits & Growth Tips RSS Feeds Oct 30, 2019
Led lighting to support algae growth. General Discussions Jun 1, 2019
Green growths on Java Fern Planted Tanks Feb 20, 2018

Share This Page