Gravel makes water alkaline

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Blip, Aug 20, 2016.

  1. Blip

    Blip

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2016
    Messages:
    22
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Johannesburg
    Hi

    I have started up a new tank for about 4 weeks now and all is healthy. However I would like to get the pH down to try grow some of the more picky plants and I have discovered to my "horror" that that the gravel is buffering the tank back to over 7.2. I do not want to keep adding acid to my tank!!!! the plants hate the pH movement. I am trying to find an inert gravel but have now tried 2 different ones (one white and the other black) which the store says is safe and both have failed!!!! It seems like the gravel is made from marble and is dyed.

    Many years ago when I still lived in the Cape I raided a small stream there and got beautiful Table Mountain Sandstone gravel but up in Joburg I need to resort to pet shop stock or am I wrong?

    Barry
     
  2. Guest




  3. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    Have you tried children's play sand?
    as far as I am aware, it is inert.
     
  4. OP
    Blip

    Blip

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2016
    Messages:
    22
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Johannesburg
    will try it, thanks
     
  5. Jwh

    Jwh

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2014
    Messages:
    1,737
    Likes Received:
    97
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Do you know what gravel it is like crushed marble? I'm sure pfs is also inert
     
  6. OP
    Blip

    Blip

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2016
    Messages:
    22
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Johannesburg
    I suspect it is crushed marble in disguise ie horrible limestone looking at how fast it ups the pH
     
  7. OP
    Blip

    Blip

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2016
    Messages:
    22
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Johannesburg
    sorry for ignorance but what is pfs?
     
  8. Pezulu

    Pezulu

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2015
    Messages:
    3,417
    Likes Received:
    1,393
    Location:
    Centurion
    PFS - Pool Filter Sand.
     
  9. OP
    Blip

    Blip

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2016
    Messages:
    22
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Johannesburg
    Thanks, Bit of a mission but changed the tank over yesterday to PFS. pH nice and stable for over 24hrs now at about 6.1 :)

    With the old "junk" I would have been back at 7.5 already!

    Regards
    Barry
     
  10. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    Good to hear that you solved the problem

    It is a mission to change the substrate of a tank if there are fish in it.
    Ideally I should have finer sand in my Ray tank, but the logistics of taking out the current gravel and replacing it with something else is a bit of a headache, so am leaving it for the mean time.
     
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Gravel makes water Forum Date
NEW Natural Planted Aquarium Substrate, Gravels, Sand Jungle Aquatics Oct 7, 2023
Best Gravel or sand for a low tank. General Discussions Feb 7, 2022
Cleaning sand/gravel after breaking down General Discussions Aug 25, 2021
Can anyone recommend a siphon/ gravel vacuum that doesn’t break 3 seconds after you buy it Equipment Reviews Feb 8, 2021
Wanted: Fine black gravel Wanted/Swop/Freebies Nov 20, 2020
Whatever happened to undergravel filters? General Equipment discussion Aug 28, 2020
RSS Feed Undergravel Aquarium Filter: Top 5 Most Effective Cleaners RSS Feeds Jul 3, 2020

Share This Page