Good Food for Malawi Peacocks

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by Ebi Omer, Oct 29, 2013.

  1. Ebi Omer

    Ebi Omer

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2012
    Messages:
    198
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Boksburg East Rand
    Hi there. I've been lots of research about coloring up of my Malawi fish. Seems that diet is a huge factor and amount of food that is fed each day.

    Recently got some cichlid gold food and my fish started to colour up quite nicely. However it seems that this food contains hormones.

    What foods should I get that is hormone free and good for peacocks?
     
  2. Guest




  3. Henk Snyman

    Henk Snyman

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2011
    Messages:
    73
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Roodepoort
    Yo can if you can find it feed them Hikari I feed my malawis only this.
     
  4. OP
    Ebi Omer

    Ebi Omer

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2012
    Messages:
    198
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Boksburg East Rand
    @Henk Snyman have you had any luck with fish breeding when fed with hikari?

    What fish do you keep?
    And do you have some pictures to show results?
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  5. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    As far as I am aware, there is a specialist pellet for the Malawi Haps. I think it was made by JBL.
    But am sure there are plenty of good, all purpose foods available.

    I am a big fan of Tetra Prima which I have fed to all sorts of tropical fish and they seem to do well on it.
    Not sure if it is available in SA?

    Personally, I would stay away from any food that has artificial hormones in it.
     
  6. OP
    Ebi Omer

    Ebi Omer

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2012
    Messages:
    198
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Boksburg East Rand
    I haven't heard of JBL. Will search for it and check it out.
     
  7. Jay

    Jay

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2012
    Messages:
    471
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Boksburg Gauteng
    I also believe in the hikari range. I know they have a range out for malawis. Maybe have a look at it, it's rather on the expensive side though .

    I have personally never kept any malawis.

    I feed my cichlids the sinking gold range and floating bio gold. But with the volumes that these guys are eating, I'm looking at other , cheaper foods
     
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  8. OP
    Ebi Omer

    Ebi Omer

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2012
    Messages:
    198
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Boksburg East Rand
    Thanx. Will do some research on the hikari range
     
  9. Ryno

    Ryno Kenaal baber

    Joined:
    May 19, 2012
    Messages:
    4,022
    Likes Received:
    50
    Location:
    Pretoria
    we feed our malawis the new era malawi range and its great food!
     
  10. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    New Era is very good too. They do all sorts of specialist foods.
    But it is pricey.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Food Malawi Peacocks Forum Date
Good Food For Malawi's ? Cichlids Apr 18, 2012
Feeding frozen, (formerly) live food Beginner Discussions Apr 2, 2025
Fry food source questions? General Fish Discussions Jan 19, 2025
Discus food General Discussions Jan 28, 2024
Exciting News: Hikari Fish Food Now Available Again at Jungle Aquatics! Jungle Aquatics Jan 23, 2024
Wanted: Live food cultures Wanted/Swop/Freebies Nov 13, 2023
Fish Food for Mbuna Cichlids Oct 16, 2023

Share This Page