Gas build up in gravel

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by L~C~G, Sep 20, 2013.

  1. L~C~G

    L~C~G

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2012
    Messages:
    353
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Gauteng - Edenvale
    Hey folks.

    I have recently noticed during my weekly clean that when I vacuum the gravel there seems to be a huge amount of gas built up. I have been keeping fish for many years and have not had this before.

    As the water is pulling through the siphon it pulls a lot of bubbles out of the sand. I vacuum weekly so I cant see there being that much crap in the gravel to cause this.

    The tank is full of haps that love digging in the gravel but obviously dont disturb it enough to free the gas.

    Is this a common thing or is it rather odd? what gas could it be and should I be worried? The tank only has one small plant in it.

    The tank is healthy despite a recent bloom of BBA which I am fighting back with less light.

    What you think?
     
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  2. Guest




  3. ernstb

    ernstb Loach

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2010
    Messages:
    360
    Likes Received:
    5
    What gravel you using? To fine gravel and it will become anaerobic....
     
  4. OP
    L~C~G

    L~C~G

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2012
    Messages:
    353
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Gauteng - Edenvale
    Pool filter gravel. about 2mm - 3mm
     
  5. ernstb

    ernstb Loach

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2010
    Messages:
    360
    Likes Received:
    5
    That should not br the probkem.... How much plants do you have? Co2?
     
  6. dash

    dash

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2013
    Messages:
    3,194
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Durban
    Hi mate. Yes this gas is a very serious problem it is very toxic to fish. If the substrate is to thick and there is not enough water circulation then this gas will build up over time. Well a few things you can do now is poke the substrate every time you do a water change also, if you have plants get some plants that have long root systems to move that substrate around.

    Hope this helps.
     
  7. OP
    L~C~G

    L~C~G

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2012
    Messages:
    353
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Gauteng - Edenvale
    I vacuum every week with my water changes already. Growing plants that my haps will not destroy is quite a challenge. I currently have a single plant that they dont seem keen on eating but the BBA almost wiped it out. The gravel thickness is 2cm - 5cm

    I have 4 x T5 tubes to show off the colour of the fish but the algae went wild under those conditions. I now run only 1 x 2ft plant spectrum T8 for about 5 hours a day when I am home looking at the fish. The plant has 4 new leaves on that at this stage dont have any algae on, so it looks like the algae is on the retreat.

    This plant has the most amazing root system I have ever seen and i cant ever pull this thing out so the fish dont stand a chance. Pic of plant below, I think is a pretty common thing but i dont know the name.
    20130819_171940.jpg

    20130819_171940.jpg
     
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  8. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    I had this when I kept Malawis.
    Gas used to build up in the gravel under rocks, where there was little disturbance.

    The way I understand it is:
    If the gas is clear, it is Nitrogen it is relatively harmless.
    If it is a murky black colour, it is a Sulphide and that is dangerous.

    One of the way of preventing any build up it to use a stick or something similar to turn the substrate over on a daily basis.
     
  9. Hawk

    Hawk Clown Fish :-)

    Joined:
    May 25, 2012
    Messages:
    5,147
    Likes Received:
    80
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Your plant is an Amazon Sword (Echinodorus). Maybe give Java Ferns a try. They tie onto wood and apparantly are really bitter tasting.

    I think if your gravel is normal pfs it is 0.4-0.8mm. I have this as well as a 4-8mm version and I get bubbles in the smaller grain sized gravel. Be careful with poking/pushing your gravel vac into the subs as it can release these nasties into your water column. What I found works quite well is to push the vac right down almost onto the base glass and wait for the water to run clear before lifting and moving to the next spot. I only get about a third of the subs done this way per wc so I try to do a different portion of the tank each time.

    HTH
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - build gravel Forum Date
ADA end of year build Members Systems Friday at 1:26 PM
Tank builders General Discussions Jan 26, 2026
Tank builder in JHB General Equipment discussion Sep 4, 2025
Adaro mid-year build! Members Systems Apr 27, 2025
First Time Aquarium Build 1200x450x450 Advice Anything DIY related Jan 20, 2025
Amano New Year Build! Members Systems Jan 5, 2025
Nano New Year Build! Members Systems Jan 5, 2025

Share This Page