Garra Ruffa Breeding?

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by Charles, Jun 21, 2012.

  1. Charles

    Charles

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2011
    Messages:
    1,000
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Pretoria, Thaba Tshwane, 0187
    Hi all

    My wife is really into these fish, I finally found some nice big one's today. Has anyone on this forum ever kept or bred Garra Ruffa's? If I read one more site on the web about delightfully vague info on Dr. Fish I will do something in my pants I really don't want to do:mad:. I only get info about Spa's....yada yada yada!!!

    So if anyone has any sound info regarding this fish, please post on this tread. Found the following info:

    Life span: 4-7 years
    Origin: Turkey
    Temp: 28*C - 38*C (Do well at 32*C)
    Diet: Algae mostly but will eat just about anything
    Breeding maturity: 8 months old
    Size tank needed for breeding: 4ft min
    Spawning: Group spawning

    Things I need to know:

    Can they be tank bred?
    Best diet?
    How to raise fry (type of food, substrate, water parameters etc)
    What plants can be used that will tollerate high temps?
    Lighting conditions?
    Driftwood or hardwood or both?
    Filtration?
    UV light filtration?
    Current strenght?
    Any specific info on this specific species.

    Thanks in advance

    Kind regards

    Charles
     
  2. Guest




  3. DigiGram

    DigiGram

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2012
    Messages:
    206
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Parys, FS
    Here is a link I trust: Garra rufa
    Filtration will be as for any other minnow type fish, and depends on if your tank is planted, and how much veggies you feed them. Raising fry would be the same as for any minnow I believe, and BBS should be best to feed the fry, although this answer is speculative.
     
  4. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    I have not heard of Garra being bred in aquaria before.
    Doesn't mean it can't be done though! There is always a first.
     
  5. Razer2007

    Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2011
    Messages:
    1,278
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Melkbosstrand, Cape Town
    I have one of them. Got it about a week ago. It adapted so easily into my tank. There weren't even the normal hiding stage at first. It eats algae, flakes, and all the veggies I've fed them.

    My tank is planted and I have the temp. on 23/24C. I have wood, rocks sand, Very strong lighting, flow isn't too much but I have good filtration. As far as I can see it's doing great and a friend of mine also has one under almost the same conditions and it's also doing great.
     
  6. Pauline

    Pauline Guest

    Please post pics of your garra rufa.
    I bought a school of them from Moolis - will take pics and post them soon. Currently they are eating mostly a variety of veggie discs (fed to plecos, etc) and flake.
     
  7. Willem

    Willem High fin Pangasius

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2011
    Messages:
    755
    Likes Received:
    15
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Hi @Charles If you rermember when you were here last I have about 150 in my 500L witch I am growing out to breed they normaly only start breeding from 8 - 9 month's when they become adults water ph of mine is between 6 - 6.5 they get a algea waffers tetra cichlid sticks tetra flakes and they do love bloodworm for pudding once a week.
    Substrate must be a fine sillica type substrate they love driftwood cause they also feed on that you can put some fast growing plants in (one's with broad leaves) they like that aswell and some rocks.

    Lighting you have to have enouph to sustain the plants (light do not bug them)

    Filtration must be very good, Tank turnover at 6 times atleast

    UV you don't need if you are not going to stick your hands in to let them eat of you.

    Current they like but not to strong.

    IMGP1160.jpgPhoto0230.jpg

    IMGP1160.jpg

    Photo0230.jpg
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  8. OP
    Charles

    Charles

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2011
    Messages:
    1,000
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Pretoria, Thaba Tshwane, 0187
    Hi All

    Thanks @DigiGram, @Razer2007, @Pauline, @Willem and @Reedfish. All comments highly appreciated. Will take some pics tomorrow and post, they are about 7cm long. I noticed tonight that they are swimming in a circular motion near the power filter, clockwise and anti clockwise. They are busy fish. Very lively. I keep them at 28*c, Ph 7.0 buffered, lots of plants, 1 x 20000k blue 39W T5 globe, 1 x 6500 PlantGrow 40W T8 globe, 1 x power filter(1450 l/h), 1 x XL corner filter, 1 x 30cm airstone, 4ft tank with slider tops and canopy, lots of betta female's in the tank. So far they are doing great. Oh yes, substrate is medium size gravel from Daro, adding Seachem Excel and Seachem Comprehensive Plant Growth. One of them has only one eye, looks like it was born this way.

    Once again, thanks to all for the info, keep it coming.

    Regards

    Charles.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  9. OP
    Charles

    Charles

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2011
    Messages:
    1,000
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Pretoria, Thaba Tshwane, 0187
    Hi all

    One of my Garra Ruffa's died a while back, only got the one left and he/she is very big.

    @Willem I took these pics specifically for you... see it's a real Garra Ruffa.lol.

    DSCF5866.JPG

    DSCF5866.JPG

    DSCF5867.JPG
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  10. OP
    Charles

    Charles

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2011
    Messages:
    1,000
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Pretoria, Thaba Tshwane, 0187
    Pics not uploading as they should, I understand that @HennieRoux also had some problems with this.

    DSCF5868.JPG

    DSCF5868.JPG

    DSCF5869.JPG
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  11. Willem

    Willem High fin Pangasius

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2011
    Messages:
    755
    Likes Received:
    15
    Location:
    Pretoria
    HaHa LOL I believe you so bring her so we can breed with her
     
  12. OP
    Charles

    Charles

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2011
    Messages:
    1,000
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Pretoria, Thaba Tshwane, 0187
    @Willem, will do, will let you know when.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Garra Ruffa Breeding Forum Date
Garra rufa fish General Discussions Jan 21, 2015
Happy Birthday - garraman.... General Off-Topic chat Jun 4, 2014
Happy Birthday Singhms & Garraman General Off-Topic chat Jun 4, 2012
My New 580L Garra Rufa tank Members Systems Dec 31, 2011
Garra Rufa Spa, Ammonia, Seachem, and PH General Discussions Nov 9, 2011
Garra Rufa for a spa Sponsor Requests Sep 24, 2011
Garra rufa General Discussions Jan 27, 2011

Share This Page