Fish tank Mycobacterium might cost you a limb

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Good_Times, Sep 3, 2013.

  1. Good_Times

    Good_Times Kalahari Sandhaai

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2012
    Messages:
    928
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Upington
    Came upon this old 2011 news article: http://www.businessinsider.com/florida-girl-fish-tank-hand-amputation-2011-6, of a girl who had gotten such a bad bacterial infection from a fishtank that it even started invading into her bones.
    After reading that article and this pdf article:http://www.atlasbooks.com/marktplc/00388mycoarticle.pdf by Dianna Walstad. It definitely made me think twice about putting my hand in a fishtank, and makes the idea of a UV filter seem more attractive.
    I think the key is just to always apply good hygiene practices after you have been working in the tank and also to rather get some long gloves or maybe a plastic bag if you absolutely have to do maintenance in the tank when you have a scratched or bruised arm or hand.
     
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
    HennieRoux likes this.
  2. Guest




  3. Pierré Schoonraad

    Pierré Schoonraad Rainbow Freak

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2012
    Messages:
    2,072
    Likes Received:
    700
    Location:
    Queenswood Pretoria
    Thanks @Good_Times for this> I never thought about this but I will definately look into getting UV lights on my other 2 tanks, got a cannester for the 300 cube with UV because the price was good. Might just be a good investment in the long run
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  4. HennieRoux

    HennieRoux

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2011
    Messages:
    2,431
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    JHB, Roodepoort
    Dam never new about this. Interresting, thanks
     
  5. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    I think one has to put it in perspective.
    I am sure this sort of thing does happen. But it is relatively rare.
    Thousands of people put their hands in their tanks and nothing happens to them. Just very bad luck if it does.
     
  6. Aqii

    Aqii

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2013
    Messages:
    172
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    SA
    Yeah as Reedfish said. Supposedly Mycobacterium infections were common in swimmers before the widespread use of chlorine in pools, hence the alternative name "swimming pool granuloma". With the knowledge that you may be exposed you can also inform the doctor which will lead to a faster diagnosis and treatment and thus prevent the advanced infection as above.
     
  7. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    I think it isn't a bad thing to be aware, but one can't get too paranoid about these things.

    A year or two ago, there was a big thing in the press here. Someone had picked up some sort of fungal infection from compost/garden soil and also nearly lost a limb.
    Not nice for the person that it happened to. But a rare case.

    In the mean time I got into my car and drove to work......
     
  8. PsyXe

    PsyXe

    Joined:
    May 16, 2012
    Messages:
    891
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    PTA
    I agree, remember that story also from the UK I think, where a man was playing with his dog, the dog's tooth just grazed his hand, and he got some sort of horrible infection and died? I'm not going to stop playing with my dog or spending half my life submerged in fish water. I'll be wary if I have open wounds, though (like after playing with my dog) (I'm joking, my dog is a sweetheart)
     
  9. PsyXe

    PsyXe

    Joined:
    May 16, 2012
    Messages:
    891
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    PTA
    The girl is better now after battling the infection for something like five years (!!!) and didn't have to have her hand amputated, in case anyone was wondering, checked out the story a bit.
     
  10. Aqii

    Aqii

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2013
    Messages:
    172
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    SA
  11. Dinky

    Dinky

    Joined:
    May 21, 2013
    Messages:
    1,685
    Likes Received:
    21
    Location:
    Pretoria
    I agree. I was just armpit deep in my tank. My dogs are my kids just as much as the one I gave birth to. Some of the most horrible infections you can get, you pick up in a hospital where everything is supposed to be sterile....

    The only thing I'm a tad bit concerned about is the amount of tank water I consume when siphoning...
     
  12. PsyXe

    PsyXe

    Joined:
    May 16, 2012
    Messages:
    891
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    PTA
    Haha, I always feel a bit nauseous after accidentally drinking tank water, and I never know if it's only psychological :p
     
  13. PsyXe

    PsyXe

    Joined:
    May 16, 2012
    Messages:
    891
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    PTA
    I think the most important thing to take from this is that if you do develop a mysterious infection or lump, that you inform your doctor that you have fish tanks and get tested especially for this particular infection. It doesn't easily get picked up in routine tests.
     
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  14. andries

    andries

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2011
    Messages:
    456
    Likes Received:
    117
    Location:
    Carletonville
    If you ever had a mouthfull of petrol/diesel, tank water is surely not so bad. Hygiene before / after working in your tanks seems to be the best.
     
  15. L~C~G

    L~C~G

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2012
    Messages:
    353
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Gauteng - Edenvale
    You clearly also had an awesome childhood too! You cannot grow up until you have tasted petrol at least once :sick:

    If I remember correctly there was an outbreak of that bacteria at one of South Africas premier natal swimming beaches a year or three back, Umhlanga beach if memory serves. A few people were seriously in a bad way from it until they found the cause and were able to sort it out.

    I got tagged by my female Spilonutus about two weeks back that broke skin so if I start to swell up I know where im heading :idea:
     
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  16. sa-shooter

    sa-shooter

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2010
    Messages:
    37
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Cape-Town
    Scary!!!

    SAS
     
  17. OP
    Good_Times

    Good_Times Kalahari Sandhaai

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2012
    Messages:
    928
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Upington
    Hahaha lmga, I thought it was only me. I also had that same experience when I was a kid. Got a nice mouthful of leaded petrol from a VW beetle's tank, rinsed my mouth and ate a whole box of smarties but it didn't really help much.

    The girl scratched her hand inside the tank, so If there is any Mycobacterium in the tank, I reckon the most you would find is on a solid surface rather than the water column itself. So her wound was subjected to that bacteria directly after it was made.
     
  18. joffy

    joffy

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2013
    Messages:
    38
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    KZN Midlands - Out there somewhere in the mountain
    HAHAHAHA .... @Dinky: Thanks, I needed a good laugh early this morning :laugh:
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  19. joffy

    joffy

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2013
    Messages:
    38
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    KZN Midlands - Out there somewhere in the mountain
    okay guys.... seems that there are more of us who had their fair share of petrol and diesel...me included :nuts:

    IMO it depends on the persons physical state. A bacteria infection that might affect one will not affect the other. Different immune systems, health history, diets, genealogy, family history of various cases and so many more. It does not hurt to be on the safe side as you do know what your body is susceptible to. No point in taking chances. I grew up in the Seychelles and lived out on a small island and had to commute by boat every day to the main island. Low tide the boat got stuck and I was pushing it and cut my foot on coral. I knew what bacteria and infections could arise so I washed my foot with petrol from the tank and never had a problem. So working with tanks like we do we just need to be vigilant.

    my 2c :cheesy:
     
  20. Jenn

    Jenn Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2011
    Messages:
    2,245
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    Johannesburg, Kensington
    Bathing in petrol - Hard Core!
    :D
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Fish tank Mycobacterium Forum Date
New 240L dirted/planted nano fish tank Members Systems Jan 14, 2025
Fish Suggestions for tank fish please Species Tanks Oct 3, 2024
Wanted: Planted Fish Tank Required Wanted/Swop/Freebies Sep 11, 2024
Wanted: Fish Tank Wanted/Swop/Freebies Mar 26, 2024
Fish tank repair service General Discussions Jan 13, 2024
Relocation of fish and Tanks Beginner Discussions Dec 7, 2023
Breeding Angelfish in community tank General Discussions Jan 19, 2023

Share This Page