Fish eyes

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Turok, Aug 2, 2012.

  1. Turok

    Turok

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2012
    Messages:
    26
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    CAPE TOWN
    HI all ive got another Q to ask ive got tetras ,danios ,platys, a few guppys , corys and my favourite friend the ghost knife and recently my tetras and danios eyes are dissapearing lately

    its only one of there eyes and im not sure what it could be, any advice would be awesome

    Thanks
     
  2. Guest




  3. Hawk

    Hawk Clown Fish :-)

    Joined:
    May 25, 2012
    Messages:
    5,147
    Likes Received:
    80
    Location:
    Cape Town
    @Turok - Pics please. By dissapearing do you mean closed or empty socket?
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  4. OP
    Turok

    Turok

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2012
    Messages:
    26
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    CAPE TOWN
    Empty sockets but its weird cause them seem to eat and swim around fine like normal but the eye is gone completely
     
  5. Hawk

    Hawk Clown Fish :-)

    Joined:
    May 25, 2012
    Messages:
    5,147
    Likes Received:
    80
    Location:
    Cape Town
    @Turok - Did they definitely have 2 eyes when you bought them or were they fry? Could be a birth defect. Bad breeding, raising etc...
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  6. OP
    Turok

    Turok

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2012
    Messages:
    26
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    CAPE TOWN
     
  7. OP
    Turok

    Turok

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2012
    Messages:
    26
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    CAPE TOWN
    NO im sure they were fine when i bought them but whats going on with them im also wondering if maybe the ghost knife is nipping at them at night
     
  8. tracyp

    tracyp Lotus

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2010
    Messages:
    1,619
    Likes Received:
    31
    Location:
    Stanford, Western Cape
    I've never kept a ghost knife - but I know they're nocturnal feeders. I suspect he/she is the culprit here... I googled a little, and it has been documented that they can learn to chomp their tankmates eyes out while they're "sleeping".
     
  9. Hawk

    Hawk Clown Fish :-)

    Joined:
    May 25, 2012
    Messages:
    5,147
    Likes Received:
    80
    Location:
    Cape Town
    I'm sure the more experienced members will have an opinion or options. I looked around the net and the only thing I could see was the reference to fish bought like that so not sure. Sorry. :(
     
  10. len.weideman

    len.weideman Planted tanks intrigue me

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2012
    Messages:
    421
    Likes Received:
    33
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Ghostknife is the culprit here @Turok I experienced the same problem, and caught him redhanded. They are actually very aggressive fish
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
    Ryno likes this.
  11. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    @Turok,

    My guess is it's the knife fish.

    I had a banded knife and it used to just bite the heads off other fish, and leave the rest of the body.

    So far, my BGK is hasn't harmed any of my other fish, but apparently, I need to watvh out when it gets a bit bigger.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  12. Double-D

    Double-D David

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2011
    Messages:
    452
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Secunda, Mpumalanga
    Definitely your BGK, had the same problem with mine. They are in fact very predatory fish and them being nocturnal makes it worse because your danios and tetras are "sitting ducks".. Apparently once they start doing this they don't stop, like a dog jumping a fence.
     
  13. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    If you feed your bgk correctly (minced fish, minced prawns, bloodworm etc), you might break the tendancy to attack other fish.

    But as @Double-D says, once a knife starts this, it is difficult to get it to stop.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  14. BBQ

    BBQ

    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2012
    Messages:
    1,023
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Well I can also confirm it's your black ghost knife.
    I also have the same problem but only 1/20 cory cats
    Eye has been eaten. I know for a fact it was done
    As there were still blood by the socket. All my other Cory
    Have Thier eyes intact.
    What I do, before I go to bed is that I put 2 shrimp pellets 2 algae wafers
    In front of his/her cave. When the lights go off. All Cory would
    Come close but the bgk will chase them off and nibble the pellets.
    As said, not more lost in eyes.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Fish eyes Forum Date
FB: Fancy Goldfish Shipment Received!Globe eyes, bubble eyes, ranchu, lion heads an. Jungle Aquatics Jan 19, 2015
Parrot Fish popeyes General Discussions Dec 15, 2010
Dr Says Deworm Your Fish Jungle Aquatics Jul 7, 2026
Your Betta Fish Has Seen Things. It's Time to Do Better Jungle Aquatics May 3, 2026
Looking for killifish General Fish Discussions Apr 21, 2026
Fish breeders Gauteng New members Apr 4, 2026
The secret to happy, stress-free pond fish. API Pond Stress Coat Jungle Aquatics Mar 25, 2026

Share This Page