First dead fish :(

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by StainedSilva, Mar 14, 2015.

  1. StainedSilva

    StainedSilva

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2015
    Messages:
    70
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Hi Guys,

    Left to work at 6pm and arrived back at 6am only to find one of my smaller peacock malawis dead in front of the tank.. no water spills around and theres no gaps in the tank lid? Apart from the middle top. I have no idea how he got there? He was bone dry when I picked him up.

    The other fish seem okay, temp is normal, I put some food in and they were feeding like normal. First fish I found like that in the 4 months ive had the tank. I did change tank mates though in the last 2 weeks. I removed all the females and only added males I kept 4 original males and my 3 plecos. Bought 2 jewel cichlid, one aurata (looks like a female), 2 small peacocks still black.

    I can only assume he dived to the bottom and somehow jumped straight through the top of the lid..but what the hell for and why now? Haha. Any thoughts?

    As you can see, only one exit

    uploadfromtaptalk1426306915142.jpg

    uploadfromtaptalk1426306915142.jpg
     
  2. Guest




  3. BadgerBadger

    BadgerBadger

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2015
    Messages:
    466
    Likes Received:
    72
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Hmmmmm. One of the first Tetra I got did the same thing.... Just decided to end it all, jumped through a gap. Psycho...
     
  4. KEENAN

    KEENAN keenanblake

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2015
    Messages:
    92
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    DURBAN
    Sometimes other fish try to chase any particular fish away from a area and he tried to run away, most likely he headed for the water surface and by chance jumped out through that hole.
     
  5. Broder

    Broder

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,020
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    East London
    Could be depression... You should get your fish a glass box filled with humans. They love to watch em swim about.... It's very therapeutic for them.
     
  6. JCL

    JCL

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2013
    Messages:
    452
    Likes Received:
    10
    Location:
    Cape Town
    What is the purpose of the opening in your hood?
    Put a piece of perspex on to cover it, problem solved, ....no need to do a postmortem into the psyche of the 'suicide jumper' or other causes.
     
  7. dash

    dash

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2013
    Messages:
    3,194
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Durban
    00% correct.
     
  8. OP
    StainedSilva

    StainedSilva

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2015
    Messages:
    70
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Cape Town
    I cut the hole in there to alleviate the condensation that formed on the lid at night by letting co2 out. So it serves a purpose lol. Ill take being chased as probable cause haha
     
  9. dash

    dash

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2013
    Messages:
    3,194
    Likes Received:
    18
    Location:
    Durban
    Just put some egg crate over. It will sort it out.
     
  10. Broder

    Broder

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,020
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    East London
    I see there's an ad on TV whete all of the fish merrily leap out of the water and land back in the tank... Maybe you could get their fish whisperer to have a word with yours? Just brain storming here...
     
  11. Ryno

    Ryno Kenaal baber

    Joined:
    May 19, 2012
    Messages:
    4,022
    Likes Received:
    50
    Location:
    Pretoria
    Just get a fine mesh to cover the hole
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - dead fish Forum Date
tired of seeing dead fish General Discussions Jan 11, 2015
Need I'd of dead fish..... ID Needed Sep 3, 2014
Woke up- FISH DEAD! General Discussions Aug 30, 2012
Preserving dead fish General Discussions Aug 2, 2011
dead fish question Community Tanks Sep 12, 2010
Water PH/dead fish General Discussions May 26, 2009
Back from the "DEAD New members May 17, 2026

Share This Page