Finally! :D

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by gwshorten, Jul 29, 2016.

  1. gwshorten

    gwshorten

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2016
    Messages:
    585
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Pretoria east
    Hi all

    So after a week of me pulling my hair out thinking it would never happen. My sterbais have laid eggs :D

    I had tried doing colder water changes for a while and then last night my water was in the ageing container but wasn't warm yet. Probably 5° colder but I thought why not

    And I just saw them now
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
     
  2. Guest




  3. WeirdSteam

    WeirdSteam Corydoras Freak!

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2014
    Messages:
    543
    Likes Received:
    49
    Location:
    De Kuilen, Cape Town
    Congrats !

    Sent from my 28.8k modem
     
  4. f-fish

    f-fish #unspecified

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Messages:
    9,642
    Likes Received:
    2,260
    Location:
    JHB - Randburg
    very cool ..... keep us posted !!!
     
  5. Pezulu

    Pezulu

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2015
    Messages:
    3,417
    Likes Received:
    1,393
    Location:
    Centurion
    Congratulations!!
    How many eggs in total so far?
    They apparently also spawn over a number of days, so you can expect the numbers to increase slightly from what you have now.
     
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  6. Broder

    Broder

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,020
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    East London
    You saving them?
     
  7. OP
    gwshorten

    gwshorten

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2016
    Messages:
    585
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Pretoria east
    Counted 18 earlier. Will check when I am home and again in the morning. I am going to move them into my RCS tank as the RCS will eat any fungus and leave the good eggs. This will provide sufficient movement to flow over the eggs as well

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
     
  8. OP
    gwshorten

    gwshorten

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2016
    Messages:
    585
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Pretoria east
    @Pezulu I see I posted your photo at the top. Hahaha sorry about that!

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  9. Pezulu

    Pezulu

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2015
    Messages:
    3,417
    Likes Received:
    1,393
    Location:
    Centurion
    Mine didn't add any further eggs today.
    Still the 25 from yesterday.

    I am leaving the eggs in the tank with the adults and piglets.
    So far they have ignored the eggs.
    The Ancistrus are also hiding most of the time under some driftwood, and only come out at feeding time.
     
  10. Jack Stone

    Jack Stone Stone Aquaics

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2011
    Messages:
    926
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Howzit!

    @gwshorten, Well done. Just shows how something as simple as a 5° colder water change can be so effective, to think it all started with "but I thought why not". fish instinct...
    Please keep us posted!
     
  11. Pezulu

    Pezulu

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2015
    Messages:
    3,417
    Likes Received:
    1,393
    Location:
    Centurion
    I will be doing a 30% water change today, and also lower the temperature slightly.
    Hopefully the spawning female will be coaxed into spawning again.
     
  12. OP
    gwshorten

    gwshorten

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2016
    Messages:
    585
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Pretoria east
    @Jackstone I know right! Hahaha I dropped a few onto the sand so I'm hoping the parents won't eat them. The rest I have moved up to my RCS tank and they are doing well. Female laid 2 more this morning and I hope she will lay tonight then I'll give it a day or 2 and do another cold water. Corys are my favourite along with plecos and shrimp

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  13. Pezulu

    Pezulu

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2015
    Messages:
    3,417
    Likes Received:
    1,393
    Location:
    Centurion
    I have left the eggs in the 2ft with the other Panda Piglets, but have removed the mollies from the tank.
    A few eggs can also be found on the gravel.
    So far the Pandas and Ancistrus have left the eggs that are on the gravel alone.
    Hopefully it stays that way.
     
  14. Pezulu

    Pezulu

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2015
    Messages:
    3,417
    Likes Received:
    1,393
    Location:
    Centurion
    Famous last words.
    This morning about 5am I come down to the office, and have a look at the tank with the eggs in it.
    The Ancistrus were happily munching away at the eggs and there was only 1 left.
    I immediately removed the Ancistrus from the tank, and at about 8am there where 20 eggs again.

    I got a small 15L cube tank, added some Seachem Paraguard, small 25W heater and a sponge filter, and transferred the remaining eggs to the new tank.
    Water was from the Panda Cory tank.

    20160731_184157.jpg

    20160731_184157.jpg
     
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  15. howard

    howard

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2016
    Messages:
    691
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Benoni
    Do the eggs need constant "finning" over them, or do the just sit on one side and develope????
     
  16. OP
    gwshorten

    gwshorten

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2016
    Messages:
    585
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Pretoria east
    I'm not too sure... it's hard to find information on the breeding and what is required. Hoping mine hatch soon and they haven't fungused:(

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
     
  17. howard

    howard

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2016
    Messages:
    691
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Benoni
    Please keep us updated as you go along
     
  18. OP
    gwshorten

    gwshorten

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2016
    Messages:
    585
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Pretoria east
    I'll take some pics later on. Yesterday some of them looked yellowish white.. not sure if that's the yolk sac and they about to hatch or if they dead

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
     
  19. Pezulu

    Pezulu

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2015
    Messages:
    3,417
    Likes Received:
    1,393
    Location:
    Centurion
    The eggs keep "tumbling" in the bare bottom tank.
    The water was treated with 1.5ml of ParaGuard, so hopefully that will keep fungus in check.
     
  20. OP
    gwshorten

    gwshorten

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2016
    Messages:
    585
    Likes Received:
    19
    Location:
    Pretoria east
    @Pezulu I think that is a good thing. Apparently bromothymol blue does the trick. Hope they hatch soon

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  21. Pezulu

    Pezulu

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2015
    Messages:
    3,417
    Likes Received:
    1,393
    Location:
    Centurion
    The eggs are supposed to be a yellowish amber colour, and they darken the closer they get to hatching.
    White eggs are not fertile, and can be discarded.
    Hatching takes place after 4-5 days.

    Mine should be hatching around Thursday.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Finally Forum Date
Finally got around to posting this forum intro thread... New members Mar 11, 2022
They finally layed and hatched Beginner Discussions Jan 10, 2022
Finally I am coming back to the hobby! New members Jun 27, 2021
HARDSCAPE Start. Finally Planted Tanks Jul 5, 2020
Fish room finally in sight. General Fish Discussions Sep 21, 2019
Okay...finally introducing myself :) New members Feb 22, 2019
Dwarf Pufferfish finally settled Species Tanks Feb 13, 2019

Share This Page