Exciting Times :)

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Aqua, Nov 16, 2011.

  1. HennieRoux

    HennieRoux

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2011
    Messages:
    2,431
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    JHB, Roodepoort
    When you do water changes, where do you get the water from? Are you using mattie mature water, or tap water? And if tap water are you using a water conditioner?
     
  2. Guest




  3. HennieRoux

    HennieRoux

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2011
    Messages:
    2,431
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    JHB, Roodepoort
    Why was it brackish? What did you have in the tank b4? Did you clean the filter from being used with brackish water?
     
  4. OP
    Aqua

    Aqua Discus

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Cape Town
    I use tap water, at the same temp as the water in the tank with buckets, and I treat water with seachem stability, seachem prime (removes chlorine, chloromine, ammonia and detoxifies nitrate and nitrite), what is mattie mature water? have not heard of it before? I have been doing a lot of reading and since they are naturally shy fish, some people have said on forums that their PG's have taken over a week to settle in and become active, so perhaps I must be more patient rather?

     
  5. HennieRoux

    HennieRoux

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2011
    Messages:
    2,431
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    JHB, Roodepoort
    Sorry the mattie is my stupid tablet making up words, try having a container and maturing your water for 24 hours b4 using it 4 water changes this will put less stress on your fisf especially with such a small tank. Look they cant be much shyer then discus, but if they take longer then a week to settle I will be verry surprised? If you have another tank I will move them back there to see if it goes better untill that other tank is sortrd or else u might have the risk loosing them, and that will be taking chances? But up 2 u
     
  6. OP
    Aqua

    Aqua Discus

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Cape Town
    I had puffers and an archer, but I had a friend help with water changes for a month before and we didn't add more salt, as it is they need such a little in any case and I did a 50% water change, I also replaced the filter with a new sponge filter, so the filter was clean yes. I am not having any issues as far as water quality goes, I have tested the water and it is exactly the same as my 18 month old main tank, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 0, ph 7, (tested with sera liquid ph test kit, tetra NH3/NH4 test kit and tetra strip tests for NO3 and NO2) - therefore any water quality issues can be ruled out imo.

    My main issue is that they are inactive, hiding all the time and dont seem to want to eat when I feed... whether they feed when I am not around, I have no idea, but they look fine as far as colouring goes, there are no visual signs of any disease or illness and they do move around on the odd occassion, so perhaps it is just time they need to feel settled...


     
  7. OP
    Aqua

    Aqua Discus

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Lol, I thought that was some fancy mature water you could make/buy :) I must be honest, I have been doing water changes the same way since I started, and have not really had much of an issue doing it this way, some of my fish I have had since the beginning and they are still thriving, thanks for the tip none the less though :) , I am concerned that if I had to put them back in the main tank, firstly that would be moving them around again, so it would probably prolong their instability and then also the male was being bullied by one of my other fish in the main tank, which is why I moved them to their own tank in the first place... I think I will give them a few more days as its only been 3.5 days (Im certain I am being impatient lol)

     
  8. HennieRoux

    HennieRoux

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2011
    Messages:
    2,431
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    JHB, Roodepoort
    Hi again

    Ok thats cool if the water changes work this way then it works, just remember that the smaller tank will get influenced allot quicker then the larger tank, because of its water capacity.

    You can also try moving the bully to the smaller tank then these 2 guys back to the larger tank if you really have to, and things start to look really bad!

    Have they eaten since your last post? This is so strange?
     
  9. OP
    Aqua

    Aqua Discus

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Hi Hennie,

    I think you have a solution there... they are definately more active, but still don't come for the food when I feed, and I only give a little artemia so as not to polute the water with wasted food... they are not looking thinner or ill and their colours are bright... so who knows if they eat when Im not around... going to leave it till tomorrow and if they are not eating, then will move them back to the main tank and have to keep an eye out as to who is bullying the male PG and take you advice... thanks :)

     
  10. HennieRoux

    HennieRoux

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2011
    Messages:
    2,431
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    JHB, Roodepoort
    IS your artemia live? Try some live blood worm and artemia...this might also work. Good luck!
     
  11. OP
    Aqua

    Aqua Discus

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    Messages:
    716
    Likes Received:
    12
    Location:
    Cape Town
    It's frozen (well thawed)... I have no idea where to buy live blood wormor live artemia, will make some calls to the LFS's around my area and see who has some... I hope that it works :)

     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Exciting Times Forum Date
Exciting News: Hikari Fish Food Now Available Again at Jungle Aquatics! Jungle Aquatics Jan 23, 2024
Exciting fish @ Pet Stop SA Pet Stop Jun 2, 2017
RARE & exciting fish arriving @ Pet Stop SA Pet Stop Apr 25, 2017
Possibly VERY exciting news General Fish Discussions Dec 16, 2014
Exciting new species this week!! Pet Stop Aug 8, 2014
We are landing a very exciting shipment tomorrow as a trail:Best quality liv... Dorry Pets Oct 29, 2013
Exciting new species for-sale Pet Stop Oct 21, 2013

Share This Page