ethical dilemma of feeder fish

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by uni, Jan 25, 2012.

  1. uni

    uni

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2011
    Messages:
    102
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Johannesburg
    i have 2 large sun cats, and part of their growth spurt in their initial years was our lack of knowledge that they'd eat anything that fit in their mouth. Subsequently they've been on pellets - but sometimes i feel that they aren't getting sufficient food.
    it would be like feeding me 1 chip a day.

    do i need to be supplementing their diet? what can i do ? i don't want to opt for feeder fish and I always feel sorry for them. is this an option?
     
  2. Guest




  3. TomK

    TomK

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2011
    Messages:
    1,552
    Likes Received:
    11
    Location:
    Klerksdorp
    uni, what is sun cats? Is it a Baber? Can you point to a link with a picture?

    Sorry, I can not answer your question. Never had to feed something that needs feeder fish. Only heard about it. At the end of the day, aint it natures way?
     
  4. Good_Times

    Good_Times Kalahari Sandhaai

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2012
    Messages:
    928
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Upington
    You can feed them prawns, beefheart, lean chicken breast, bloodworm etc.
    I think you can buy raw frozen unseasoned fish and feed that to them if u really want.

    Don't think feeders are neccesary. If u really want to feed feeders don't go for goldies as I've heard alot about their bad rep as nutritional value and diseases. Gut load the feeders and quarintime them.

    I've also heard of squid for predator cats, but not sure.

    Just make sure you have enough bio media and do regular wc as they wil poop alot
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2012
  5. azurekoi

    azurekoi Loaches & Gobies

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2010
    Messages:
    4,077
    Likes Received:
    61
    Location:
    Pretoria
    @uni - Asian Sun Catfish - Horabagrus brachysoma.... or if you really lucky H.nigricollaris.... Grows too about 30cm + . Does not like a lot of light in a tank and is mostly nocturnal. Not a fussy eater at all,as you have found out.... Many people buy them small,pop them in their tanks and like never see them again.... until their smaller fish start disappearing...

    You say that they eat pellets - what kind if I may ask? "cos you get pellets and you get "popcorn".... If it is anything that comes in a red and green variety that comes in a bag that has little or no packaging labels on it - yes,long term it will not be good for them. Go out and buy them a GOOD quality koi pellet - Hikari,Aquamaster etc. - Will work well as a staple for them... If you have moral qualms about feeding them live fish - consider "Dead" fish... Small pieces of hake... those little cocktail prawns you buy frozen for cheap,cheap... Crickets you get from your local reptile store are also a great source of protein....Gut load them before feeding...

    Soon you will have a stunning Catfish that is happy and healthy...
     
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  6. OP
    uni

    uni

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2011
    Messages:
    102
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Johannesburg
    hey guys thanks for the quick responses. I'll post pics of my babies when I can - I was always under the impression that they're not predatory, but just opportunistic eaters - i.e. a small fish wanders too close to their mouths.
    they've been on pellets for about 3 years already -they might have munched on the odd disappearing fish in that time - and we feed them the Nutrafin MAX sinking pellets.
    I'm just worried as we usually feed them prior to going to bed when the lights are out. The last 2 nights they've been cruising around during feeding time for the other fish - and actually eating while the lights are on and I"m standing there - very unusual for them - so i thought they must be super hungry.
    Can i feed frozen hake like I&J (obviously not the seasoned/crumbed type) ?
    i used to have a asian red tail that ate that quite happily.
     
  7. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    I agree. It is not necessary to feed live fish.

    Minced fish from the supermarket, prawns, shrimps, bloodworms would all be fine. A variety of these will give the cats a balanced diet, together with a quality pellet.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - ethical dilemma feeder Forum Date
Ethical Dilemma General Discussions Jul 2, 2011
Unethical behavior Announcements Jun 4, 2018
Ethical dilema General Discussions Nov 13, 2010
[HELP] Aquarium Glass Dilemma Anything DIY related Jun 2, 2017
Moral dilemma - what to do General Discussions Jan 31, 2015
Discus dilemma Discus Breeding Jul 18, 2014
stocking dilemma Beginner Discussions Jan 8, 2014

Share This Page