Ethical dilema

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by FishRMan, Nov 13, 2010.

  1. FishRMan

    FishRMan

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2010
    Messages:
    207
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Boksburg and Hatfield
    Im setting up a betta tank for my little sister for christmas but have a bit of an issue with where to get the fish from. A shop round the corner from me has some lovely fish BUT they are housed in tiny peanut butter jars. My question is should I buy from them and save the fish from its prison but in the process support a disgusting practice or should I boycott them and at the same time condemn a fish to that sort of existance?
     
  2. Guest




  3. eel

    eel

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2010
    Messages:
    63
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Somerset West, CT
    I have saved a beautiful purple betta from a peanut jar situation like that:mad:, but it was just to sick of sitting in his own wastes that it died in two days. Sulked on the bottom of my tank.:sad2: Not the best idea to do that.
     
  4. Vis

    Vis Gerhard

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2009
    Messages:
    6,130
    Likes Received:
    132
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    I hate places like that, I will not buy from them but usually go to the shop and wait for
    someone to ask me if they can help. Then I tell them that I wanted ti buy a betta
    but seeing in what conditions they keep them in I won't.

    I do this a few times just to irritate them.
     
  5. OP
    FishRMan

    FishRMan

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2010
    Messages:
    207
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Boksburg and Hatfield
    Hehe nice idea there Vis I might just do the same
     
  6. IcemanX

    IcemanX

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2009
    Messages:
    25
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Bedfordview, JHB, GP
    Hey FishRMan, from ur location I think I know the EXACT place ur talking about, and trust me NEVER buy fish from there, they VERY RARELY last long, I have two places I get my fish from in your area, one's a bit pricey, depending on what u looking for. But both always have excellent quality livestock, PM me if you want the details, coz I don't think we allowed to mention LFS details here in the normal threads
     
  7. AquaS

    AquaS

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2010
    Messages:
    307
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Goodwood, CPT
    I agree with Vis. Unfortunately keeping quiet won't solve this problem. We HAVE to say something. Shops have to know that you refuse to buy fish from them if they do not keep livestock in a clean, healthy and decently sized environment. If everybody starts to speak up about this every time they go into a petshop with these kind of practices the petshop might realise that they are loosing sales because of this and hopefully think twice about keeping animals like this. But if you keep quiet nobody will bother to do anything about it. So please speak out!
     
  8. Vis

    Vis Gerhard

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2009
    Messages:
    6,130
    Likes Received:
    132
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    I think I should start a campaign where everybody here that goes into a petshop
    look at the betta setups and if they are bad say they wanted one but is now not going to take one.
    Even if they are there to buy food erc anyway and never wanted a betta in the first place.
     
  9. tracyp

    tracyp Lotus

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2010
    Messages:
    1,619
    Likes Received:
    31
    Location:
    Stanford, Western Cape
    I've given the lps/lfs debate a great deal of thought and don't wish to reboot the discussion. But, I was wondering whether it would be acceptable to inform my locals about this forum? Ask them to refer people to TASA, possibly even make a poster/flyer so that noobs like me can access REAL info? Is that legal or even a good idea?
     
  10. Vis

    Vis Gerhard

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2009
    Messages:
    6,130
    Likes Received:
    132
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    Hi Tracy, yes it is legall and even ecouraged by the people here.
    Maybe someone like @TankMaster can design a small card we can print and
    give to our LPS's for them to hand out.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  11. TankMaster

    TankMaster Apistogramma

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    Messages:
    1,756
    Likes Received:
    44
    Location:
    Narnia
    Sure . .

    Maybe a business card size thingy that's printer friendly? Will see what I can get done by the end of the week. .

    TM
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  12. tracyp

    tracyp Lotus

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2010
    Messages:
    1,619
    Likes Received:
    31
    Location:
    Stanford, Western Cape
    NOW we're talking! I'd be VERY glad to print some! Thanks TankMaster, please let us know when you've managed!
     
  13. TankMaster

    TankMaster Apistogramma

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    Messages:
    1,756
    Likes Received:
    44
    Location:
    Narnia
    Well. ..let me get around laying out these 3 photobooks . .and editing 1500 pics. . lol . .Will have a Black and white and colour version ready by Saturday..
     
  14. windfire

    windfire

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2009
    Messages:
    1,150
    Likes Received:
    13
    Location:
    joburg and pretoria. i cant travel to pta everyday
    i told a chick at a petshop she was going to loose her loaches if she didnt pu them in a heated tank instead of having them inn a tank with goldfish, went back about 2 months later and the horse faced loach had been moved out but the khulis were still in there. i have mentioned this forum to my lfs before and suggested they become a sponsor since they build tanks
     
  15. tracyp

    tracyp Lotus

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2010
    Messages:
    1,619
    Likes Received:
    31
    Location:
    Stanford, Western Cape
    So now... herewith guilty of both bumping & hijacking!

    @TankMaster... which weekend? Wezza goods? I guess you too busy counting those wrigglers!
    I've introduced lPs to TASA, need the printouts!

    Guys, be patient please! If I can prevent just two more kids from meltdowns, and three more fish from certain death, I'll feel better! (I've restarted the kids that I know about!)
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  16. TankMaster

    TankMaster Apistogramma

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    Messages:
    1,756
    Likes Received:
    44
    Location:
    Narnia
    Dammit. . .okay . . .dude. . I'm putting something together right now!!!

    ---------- Post added at 22:11 ---------- Previous post was at 22:11 ----------

    ok wait. . .

    Give me some suggestions for text that should appear on the design . .
     
  17. tracyp

    tracyp Lotus

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2010
    Messages:
    1,619
    Likes Received:
    31
    Location:
    Stanford, Western Cape
    @TankMaster: sorry for delay in reply! Been thinking!

    How about a twofold approach?
    a: a blk n wht ordinary printer page divided into 4, that can be slipped into every new tank (maybe you experienced fellas could even get the whs's to insert?) with something like this:

    CONGRATULATIONS on buying your new fish tank!
    Do you know: NO! You can't take your tank home, fill it with water & add fish!
    NO! Not all fish can live together!

    Would you like to know: How MANY fish you can keep?
    Which fish live happily together?
    HOW to set up your aquarium and look after it?

    The ANSWERS are a click away! Visit TASA (details,logo.. etc)

    and b:
    A simple business card type layout, with just the logo, details, and something simple like:
    "Do you have questions about your fish?aquarium?"

    Finally, apologies to @FishRMan! Should I carry my crusade elsehwere, dude/mods? Move this if you choose!
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  18. TankMaster

    TankMaster Apistogramma

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    Messages:
    1,756
    Likes Received:
    44
    Location:
    Narnia
    I like this idea . . . the insert should also include that water straight out of a tap is poisonous to fish and that some species require heaters in their tanks . .
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  19. OP
    FishRMan

    FishRMan

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2010
    Messages:
    207
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Boksburg and Hatfield
    Doesnt worry me that its here but perhaps more people would see it in its own thread. I must say I like the idea tho I dont know if lps would allow it. In my experience they make half their money from Joe Knownothing who comes in and they sell 6 gold fish for a 30l then they all die and Joe either comes back for a better filter cos the water got dirty or buys some fish meds for the next batch. the integrity of many lps is WAY down the bottom
     
  20. tracyp

    tracyp Lotus

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2010
    Messages:
    1,619
    Likes Received:
    31
    Location:
    Stanford, Western Cape
    Yeah, I know! Though its kinda backward logic IMO: by then, a HAPPY Joe with happy fish could be halfway to buying his next setup! Anyhow, my lps has agreed and who knows, if even 10 countrywide did, it may help some folk anyway? But thanks for not minding the rude hijack!
     
  21. Vis

    Vis Gerhard

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2009
    Messages:
    6,130
    Likes Received:
    132
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    I think a simple business card size thing will also work.

    Just saying something like Top "TASA" somewhere else "Your free online tropical aquarium cummunity" with TASA's web page.
    O and some cool graphics of course.

    Just something one can slip into your wallet.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Ethical dilema Forum Date
Unethical behavior Announcements Jun 4, 2018
ethical dilemma of feeder fish General Discussions Jan 25, 2012
Ethical Dilemma General Discussions Jul 2, 2011
Sand dilema General Discussions Dec 14, 2011
Away for 5 Days! Feeding Dilema General Discussions Mar 31, 2010

Share This Page