Electric blue Ram spawn!

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by Marco, Jan 4, 2011.

  1. Marco

    Marco Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    May 24, 2010
    Messages:
    2,015
    Likes Received:
    287
    Location:
    Waverley Pretoria
    Hi all mad fish lovers!

    Recently recieved 5 Electric blue Rams from Altum. They are SO hard to sex but we were hoping for a good mix. Me and Altum agreed on at least one female, and then unfortunately she died... Very dejected I asked him to send me some more, which was to happen next week. Went feeding them just now and noticed two behaving strangely. Upon closer inspection I saw around 60 eggs on the glass as they are still in a bare bottom for QT.

    I am ECSTATIC! (so bear with me please)
    Hahaha!

    Thanks Altum!
     
  2. Guest




  3. SalmonAfrica

    SalmonAfrica Batfish

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2008
    Messages:
    3,080
    Likes Received:
    471
    Location:
    Durban
    Pics or it didn't happen :D

    Just joking, nice one! :) Good luck!
     
  4. azurekoi

    azurekoi Loaches & Gobies

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2010
    Messages:
    4,077
    Likes Received:
    61
    Location:
    Pretoria
    @Marco - congrats buddy!!!

    Now,QT or not - us poor sods living(surviving) in Blue bull country DEMAND(as Juju would say...) That you raise us some fry to a decent size to sell on...and as I am VERY close geographically - want to be 1st in line for some youngsters...lol

    Hope all goes well...
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  5. Slojo

    Slojo

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2009
    Messages:
    2,115
    Likes Received:
    24
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  6. Lizid

    Lizid

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2010
    Messages:
    1,652
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Johannesburg
    Congrates Marko, I lost my pair I am very heart sore, so when you ready to sell let me know I will take a couple... I have a special tank waiting for them...
     
  7. OP
    Marco

    Marco Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    May 24, 2010
    Messages:
    2,015
    Likes Received:
    287
    Location:
    Waverley Pretoria
    Thanks guys!

    My fishroom is a hive of activity at present!
    The ram spawn is great, hope with me for the best! I also have a young Discus pair sitting on 48hr old eggs. About 80% of the eggs are fertile so I'm holding thumbs! Last time they ate the wrigglers, so hopefully this time there is some progress!

    Holding thumbs!
     
  8. SHiBBY

    SHiBBY DIY Guru

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2010
    Messages:
    639
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Glenwood, Cape Town
    Oooooh, very nice! Well done! I see that these are quite picky on their habitat so if you've managed to breed, good on you! I don't live far from azurekoi so dibs! ;-)
     
  9. Donny

    Donny

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2009
    Messages:
    2,283
    Likes Received:
    22
    Location:
    Churchill Estate, Parow
    Congrats best of luck ..
     
  10. OP
    Marco

    Marco Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    May 24, 2010
    Messages:
    2,015
    Likes Received:
    287
    Location:
    Waverley Pretoria
    Hi Guys and gals!

    The Ram eggs are now at least 48hrs I think. All seem good though from previous experience, I know the last few hours can come with hiccups!

    As for the Discus spawn. They are all now officially hatched and the parents have moved the Wrigglers to the other side of the cone. As for them the difficult part starts now... Still holding thumbs the parents dont eat them again!

    Thanks to everyone asking for some Rams, but at the moment the first couple of batches are already spoken for. Sorry about that guys...

    Rgds,

    Marco
     
  11. SAMollyBreeder

    SAMollyBreeder Poecilia Latipinna

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2010
    Messages:
    270
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Good luck Marco!

    Holding thumbs!! :)

    SAMB
     
  12. corylyle1

    corylyle1

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2009
    Messages:
    169
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Cape Town
    Hope the babies make it!!! Please can you post pics of the rams!! Would love to see them!!
     
  13. Gareth

    Gareth Angel Freak

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2009
    Messages:
    2,339
    Likes Received:
    16
    Location:
    Potchefstroom
    Congrats on both Spawns dude. holding thumbs for you...
     
  14. tracyp

    tracyp Lotus

    Joined:
    Oct 25, 2010
    Messages:
    1,619
    Likes Received:
    31
    Location:
    Stanford, Western Cape
    Hey @Marco! UPDATE!! UPDATE!! How are those lil blue babes today? I'm SO jealous!
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  15. OP
    Marco

    Marco Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    May 24, 2010
    Messages:
    2,015
    Likes Received:
    287
    Location:
    Waverley Pretoria
    Hi Tracyp,

    I checked on them early this morning and only about half the eggs are fertile. From the look of them I'd say they'll be hatched by late afternoon unless eaten. Will let u know as soon as they are wrigglers.

    Rgds
    Marco
     
  16. MItchell

    MItchell

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2011
    Messages:
    206
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    East London
    Did they make it?
     
  17. OP
    Marco

    Marco Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    May 24, 2010
    Messages:
    2,015
    Likes Received:
    287
    Location:
    Waverley Pretoria
    Nope. . .3 spawns. . .all died within 12 hours after hatching. Gave up as I needed the tank they were in. Will try again someday. . .
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Electric blue spawn Forum Date
Electric Blue behaviour - Spawning or Fighting? General Fish Discussions Feb 2, 2017
Wanted: Electric blue jack Dempsey's Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jan 14, 2024
Electric Blue Acara Breeding Sep 14, 2022
Freebie: Electric Blue Acaras Wanted/Swop/Freebies Mar 5, 2022
Sexing Electric blue Rams General Discussions Dec 20, 2021
Wanted: Electric Blue Acara Wanted Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jul 6, 2021
Wanted: Large electric blue jack Dempsey Wanted/Swop/Freebies May 8, 2021

Share This Page