ECS's 36g low-light, "Tales of the Crypts"

Discussion in 'Planted Tanks' started by EyeCandysings, Aug 20, 2010.

  1. EyeCandysings

    EyeCandysings I like Plants in Tanks...

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2010
    Messages:
    33
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Miami, FL USA
    Tank: 36g corner bow, 21" deep, 24" radius. Was setup in 2006, but I did the current rescape about a year ago.
    Lighting: An old 24" 2x14W T5 fixture with reflectors. Giving me .77WPG.
    Substrate: Took advantage of 3 years of tank waste and capped the substrate with a thick layer of very fine white sand from Carib sea.
    CO2: None
    Fertilisation: 10ml of TPN+ when I remember.
    Filtration: Currently 1 Aquaclear 70. Will be adding a second filter soon.
    Hardscape: Several pieces of Mopani interlocked together. Leaches tannins.
    Plants: Cryptocoryne spiralis, C. lutea, C. wendtii "bronze", Anubia species, Echinodorus tenellus, Bolbitis, mosses, Susswassertag.
    Livestock: Platies, Harlequins, rasbora gracilis, otos.
    Maintenance: When the tank was first setup, about a year ago, did waterchanges 2x a week to reduce ammonia buildup. Then reduced the frequency gradually. It has now gone about 3 months since the last water change. It's due for one.

    Some tank shots. The neat thing about this tank is that it is very low-maintenance and the growth is quite good. Feel free to ask questions. Thanks for looking... ECS :bigsmile:

    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
     
  2. Guest




  3. SalmonAfrica

    SalmonAfrica Batfish

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2008
    Messages:
    3,080
    Likes Received:
    471
    Location:
    Durban
    Very nice! It looks very healthy! :) Definitely on my list of favourite planted setups :)

    By the way, do the platies not cause trouble with the plants? I've had swordtails do a little damage, and was wondering if platies were similar in this aspect.
     
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  4. Q89

    Q89 Discus

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2010
    Messages:
    242
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Swakopmund
    Fantastic looking planted aquarium there!!!
     
  5. PeterWest

    PeterWest

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2010
    Messages:
    255
    Likes Received:
    3
    Location:
    Northern Suburbs, Cape Town
    Love it,

    I love how natural it looks.
     
  6. Nirv

    Nirv Trachelyopterus

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2010
    Messages:
    466
    Likes Received:
    17
    Location:
    Cape Town southern suburbs
    Beautiful! Planted mature tanks are some of my favourite aquarium types.
     
  7. TroyFish

    TroyFish

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2010
    Messages:
    1,717
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Pretoria east, Elardus Park
    Beautiful! No other way i describe it! Fantastic job!
     
  8. OP
    EyeCandysings

    EyeCandysings I like Plants in Tanks...

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2010
    Messages:
    33
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Miami, FL USA
    I've not really paid attention to the platies and their impact. I don't think they cause any trouble.

    ECS
     
  9. Vis

    Vis Gerhard

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2009
    Messages:
    6,130
    Likes Received:
    132
    Location:
    Rustenburg
    Really nice looking tank. Looks very calming. The shot with the piece of wood
    and the moss growing over it, what is that right in front of the photo?
     
  10. OP
    EyeCandysings

    EyeCandysings I like Plants in Tanks...

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2010
    Messages:
    33
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Miami, FL USA
    Susswassertag. It was an experiment. Before I went on a trip to Italy, I dismantled a small tank with CO2 injection and dosed ferts and put the plant in. It thrived.

    ECS
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - ECS's light Tales Forum Date
Dooa Sol light General Equipment discussion Sep 16, 2025
Moon light / night light General Discussions Jun 13, 2025
Temu "Seven Master" 58cm LED light review Equipment Reviews Apr 16, 2025
Wanted: 90cm aquarium light Wanted/Swop/Freebies Oct 11, 2024
Wanted: Looking for a 90cm light Wanted/Swop/Freebies Sep 28, 2024
Starlight plecos L183 General Discussions Sep 10, 2024
Wanted: Zetlight Lancia 2 590 Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jul 3, 2024

Share This Page