Easy Cichlids

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Javei, Jun 3, 2013.

  1. Javei

    Javei

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2013
    Messages:
    565
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    pretoria
    i want to know which ciclids are good for beginners and easy to take care for?
     
  2. Guest




  3. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    What sort of set up are you looking for?

    One of the Rift Lakes?
    The Americas?
     
  4. OP
    Javei

    Javei

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2013
    Messages:
    565
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    pretoria
    looks like i have to google about that, which is easier?
     
  5. a3aan

    a3aan

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2012
    Messages:
    542
    Likes Received:
    6
    Location:
    Bloemfontein
    Hi. A big part of your consideration should also be the size of your tank and filtration options.. As cichlids comes in so many shapes and sizes, messyness (if that's a word?) and aggression levels. Also if you would like live plants or not as allot of them dig. But like Reedfish said first narrow down your interests with a little more research. It will also help with all the other decisions.
    But if it was up to me I would say good old malawis. Nice selection of species and allot of colour. Also some that does not grow to big. Hardy fish that needs hard water conditions thats relatively easy to obtain.
    Hope some of this makes sense. And I promise you once you get hooked on cichlids you will not look back.
     
  6. Jenn

    Jenn Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2011
    Messages:
    2,245
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    Johannesburg, Kensington
    Some easy cichlids I have kept...
    Kribs (Pelvicachromis pulcher) from West Africa. Suitable for a planted tank. Grow to +/- 10cm.
    Angel Fish (Pterophyllum scalare) from South America. Suitable for a planted tank. Grow to +/- 10cm - 15cm, grow high as well.
    Oscars (Astronotus ocellatus) from South America. Not suitable for a planted tank. Grow bigger than 20cm.
     
  7. OP
    Javei

    Javei

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2013
    Messages:
    565
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    pretoria
    I want cyclids that don't grow big, normal sizes
     
  8. Jenn

    Jenn Retired Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2011
    Messages:
    2,245
    Likes Received:
    26
    Location:
    Johannesburg, Kensington
    What's a 'normal' size for a cichlid :p I'm sure Oscars think their size is perfectly normal and Rams are abnormal little runts aka food.
     
  9. OP
    Javei

    Javei

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2013
    Messages:
    565
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    pretoria
    Haha yea yeah, I want cyclids that stays small
     
  10. Gordon

    Gordon

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2010
    Messages:
    139
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Durban
    I'd say Kribensis are a good starting cichlid. They stay small, aren't overly aggressive, don't need any special water parameters and still have the interesting behaviour that cichlids are loved for.
     
  11. Sean J

    Sean J

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2009
    Messages:
    3,835
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    Randburg JHB
    Apistogramma cacatuoides is also a nice easy beginner cichlid.
     
  12. OP
    Javei

    Javei

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2013
    Messages:
    565
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    pretoria
    Kribs sound like an ides, where can I find a pair?
     
  13. smoothoperatorlyn

    smoothoperatorlyn

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2012
    Messages:
    119
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Kzn, Durban
    I second Gordon, Kribensis really good starter cichlid. They're hardy an really beautiful too. I have a pair in my tank. Stunning colours! They don't need any special treatment or special needs. :top:
     
  14. OP
    Javei

    Javei

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2013
    Messages:
    565
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    pretoria
    hmm, will i be able to put a pair of kribs in a 2 foot? my budget, my room, and my parents don't allow me to upgrade to a bigger tank now.
     
  15. DCWarHound

    DCWarHound

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2013
    Messages:
    1,059
    Likes Received:
    4
    Location:
    Pretoria,Sinoville
    Do you want cichlids that are tough but will kill everything or cichlids that are semi-tough and semi-aggressive.

    If your water conditions are good then you shouldn't have problems with a pair of Kribs,just look for cichlids that don't need allot of territory.
     
  16. OP
    Javei

    Javei

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2013
    Messages:
    565
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    pretoria
    i don't mind, it going to be a species tank only

    Where can i get a pair of kribs or a pair of rams, i called petshops around me and they don't have them.
    i really would like to have a pair of any of the above
     
  17. Pierré Schoonraad

    Pierré Schoonraad Rainbow Freak

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2012
    Messages:
    2,072
    Likes Received:
    700
    Location:
    Queenswood Pretoria
    I must agree with Shawn about Apistogramma Cocketoides. Pet Stpo got some in two weeks ago as well as some awesome Apistogramma Agizizi. They are stunning little fish witch stay under 7cm and can fit into a community tank, for later on when the parents allow the bigger tank
     
  18. PappaBear

    PappaBear

    Joined:
    Nov 23, 2011
    Messages:
    487
    Likes Received:
    162
    Location:
    Moorreesburg
    Go for Kribs as a starter. Really easy to keep going, and they are BEAUTIFUL!!

    Rams you might find more difficult, not just because they require more attention, but also because a lot of the rams in the petshops are of real bad quality.

    And seeing a pair of kribs peeking out of their breeding cave is quite possibly the cutest thing you'll ever see in a fish tank.
     
  19. smoothoperatorlyn

    smoothoperatorlyn

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2012
    Messages:
    119
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Kzn, Durban
    Kribs are the easiest and one of the toughest chiclids I know and "hold their own" in a mixed species tank. Pity u all the way in Pretoria... I would have given u a pair. I've got a 'krib factory' going, lol. My pair in my big tank produce babies literally every month I get a batch. So I have 3tanks of kribs babies segregated in their relevant age groups.

    I'm in Durban unfortunately... Sorry.. :(
     
  20. Jack Stone

    Jack Stone Stone Aquaics

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2011
    Messages:
    926
    Likes Received:
    34
    Location:
    Cape Town
    @Javei - if you water has a high pH and hardness to it you might want to consider some of the smaller Tanganyika cichlids - or stick to the Kribensis.

    For a 60cm tank I can recommend these two shell dwelling species...
    Neolamprologus multifasciatus
    Lamprolgous brevis
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  21. Reedfish

    Reedfish Moderator

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2011
    Messages:
    13,311
    Likes Received:
    3,714
    Location:
    UK
    I agree.
    In a small tank, some nice Tangs can be very interesting to keep.

    Otherwise, if you want some other community fish with them, then Kribs are a good option.
     

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Easy Cichlids Forum Date
Looking for easy care plants General Discussions Nov 18, 2021
What makes an easygoing aquarium? General Discussions Mar 14, 2021
Help me stock a new easy going 5 foot tank Community Tanks Feb 12, 2021
RSS Feed Green Terror Cichlid: Colorful And Easy To Care For RSS Feeds May 4, 2020
RSS Feed How To Care For The Easy-To-Handle Sagittaria Aquatic Plant RSS Feeds Mar 30, 2020
RSS Feed Breeding ornamental fish: 7 easy fish to breed RSS Feeds Jun 12, 2017
Wanted: Easy to grow plant cuttings Wanted/Swop/Freebies Jun 1, 2017

Share This Page