Dropsy :(

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by CharlieB, Jan 20, 2012.

  1. CharlieB

    CharlieB

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2011
    Messages:
    217
    Likes Received:
    2
    Location:
    Salt Rock, KZN
    As some of you may recall I put a post up requesting help for my pangasius shark who was all bloated and not eating. Well sadly he is not with us and Ill be surprised if my second one will last through the night :(

    I have spent a ridiculous amount of money on all types of food to try get these fish to eat to no avail so after much researching I finally found the answer to what is wrong with my pangasius! Yes as the title suggests its DROPSY!! They have all the symtems......bloated, can only float(or sink), bulging of the eyes, lethargy and so on. So sad that they are doomed so glad to at least know what is wrong with them. Sadly it seems it is almost impossible to find the cause as there are so many possibilities and no real true cure.

    Is this a common problem or has any one else experienced alot of dropsy?
     
  2. Guest




  3. Charles

    Charles

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2011
    Messages:
    1,000
    Likes Received:
    9
    Location:
    Pretoria, Thaba Tshwane, 0187
    Hi @CharlieB.

    Dropsy is a b..ch to cure!!! I've lost some expensive Betta's due to Dropsy. I've managed to pull one of my females through. I isolated her in a separate container and added a little bit of rock salt to it. She did not eat for 2 weeks. After about a week I added pennecillin to the water (250g). Two days later I did a 80% water change and added BaktoPur to the water. Use as directed. A week later I fed her one BS at a time. To my surprise she started eating, but had to use prongs and put infront of her mouth. Week after that she started to jump up when I fed her. I put her back in the community tank a couple of days later and I'm happy to say she is doing well. I had a male with dropsy to... he died two days later. It is very difficult to cure dropsy. Stress is a huge factor in my oppinion as well as water conditions. But any ways, sorry to hear about the death of your fish. Dropsy is not very contagious, unless the other fish feed of it or takes bites at it if it's still alive. Good luck.
     
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016

Recent Posts

Loading...
Similar Threads - Dropsy Forum Date
Female Bettas - Dropsy Beginner Discussions Feb 7, 2021
RSS Feed How To Prevent Dropsy Disease In Your Tank: Causes And Solutions RSS Feeds May 8, 2020
Dropsy in betta fish Diseases Oct 20, 2019
Dropsy Diseases Jul 7, 2013
Betta female plakat recoverd from dropsy General Discussions May 31, 2012
An abnormal thing has happen with my female betta with dropsy Diseases May 29, 2012
Dropsy problem Diseases Nov 5, 2011

Share This Page